1. slipperyslope555's Avatar
    I was washing dishes, and it fell out of my shirt pocket while it was on. I took it out and took the battery out, dried it off with a blow dryer till it was really hot. And everything works on it for now lol, im afraid of what will happen will it rust? should I do anything? Its dry but I dunno if its dry on the inside.
    This is a bold 9900 its white!

    Any advice, thanks
    BTW im new here!
    02-21-12 10:03 PM
  2. aliencds's Avatar
    take out the battery and put the phone and battery in a sealed container with a bunch of dry uncooked rice. it will absorb the moisture inside. I'd leave it in there for about 24 hours.
    adamrollins likes this.
    02-21-12 10:11 PM
  3. h123123's Avatar
    People usually suggest not even turning it on for a day or two after exposure to liquids.
    Good luck :-/
    02-21-12 10:14 PM
  4. deezy87's Avatar
    Pretty damn lucky it still works! Try the rice method as described above, and you shouldn't have turned it on. Oh well whats done is done.
    02-21-12 10:21 PM
  5. Phill_UK's Avatar
    You've blown it now by inserting the battery far too soon, but try these tips next time it happens...

    http://forums.crackberry.com/tips-ho...en-wet-314679/

    http://forums.crackberry.com/tips-ho...ht-way-318876/
    02-21-12 10:25 PM
  6. slipperyslope555's Avatar
    Thanks guys/gals, I guess if it still works it will be fine im just wondering will it rust? should I take it apart.. my warranty will be void anyways.
    02-21-12 10:26 PM
  7. mssca's Avatar
    Thanks guys/gals, I guess if it still works it will be fine im just wondering will it rust? should I take it apart.. my warranty will be void anyways.
    Sorry to read this kind of theard.

    Unless u know what you are doing, I would just leve it in rice for few days and use it instead of taking apart and breaking something in the process. But if want to, it's not that hard to take apart. There was a video around here on how to take apart the right way. Be careful when you take pices off and ground yourself to reduce static elec. Good luck.
    02-21-12 10:43 PM
  8. slipperyslope555's Avatar
    You've blown it now by inserting the battery far too soon, but try these tips next time it happens...

    http://forums.crackberry.com/tips-ho...en-wet-314679/

    http://forums.crackberry.com/tips-ho...ht-way-318876/
    Phill It works, and everything im using it right now it I spent like 1 hour drying it with ah air dryer and I think its ok but Im worried that it might rust? I have used your links and read the suggestions thanks!
    02-21-12 10:44 PM
  9. sulcopete's Avatar
    Don't want to be Debbie Downer here...but I've seen it happen in the past where it will work initially...but a day or so later things will happen. Honestly...what you're seeing now as working...damage may be happening as we speak. I'd turn off the phone now and leave it off for a day or so, then try it. Give any water inside time to evaporate.
    02-21-12 10:46 PM
  10. slipperyslope555's Avatar
    Don't want to be Debbie Downer here...but I've seen it happen in the past where it will work initially...but a day or so later things will happen. Honestly...what you're seeing now as working...damage may be happening as we speak. I'd turn off the phone now and leave it off for a day or so, then try it. Give any water inside time to evaporate.
    I have taken the battery out now, and will leave it out in rice for a few days I guess ill have to pull out my old 9000! hopefully nothing happens... Do you guys think it will rust later on?
    02-21-12 10:49 PM
  11. slipperyslope555's Avatar
    I took it apart folks, took the 2 keyboard screws off, took off the keyboard and the LCD screws, slid the LCD down and there was a puddle under there.. boy does that water like to hide.
    I have it drying in pieces, hopefully nothing goes wrong!

    Thanks for all the help.!
    02-21-12 10:53 PM
  12. sulcopete's Avatar
    I can't say about rust...but honestly...who cares if it's got a little rust inside? As long as it's not visible, and the phone still works! Also, just out of curiosity...there's a little white square inside the phone on the sidewall of the battery compartment, I think near the power contacts. This square remains white until the phone is exposed to too much water. What color is yours?
    02-21-12 10:58 PM
  13. slipperyslope555's Avatar
    I can't say about rust...but honestly...who cares if it's got a little rust inside? As long as it's not visible, and the phone still works! Also, just out of curiosity...there's a little white square inside the phone on the sidewall of the battery compartment, I think near the power contacts. This square remains white until the phone is exposed to too much water. What color is yours?
    The Square when you remove the battery is now Pink/Red, There is another one inside where the LCD is and its still White somehow... lol? Im not about warranty fraud + I removed the screw white thing so my misfortune, I just hope it works
    02-21-12 11:01 PM
  14. sulcopete's Avatar
    The Square when you remove the battery is now Pink/Red, There is another one inside where the LCD is and its still White somehow... lol? Im not about warranty fraud + I removed the screw white thing so my misfortune, I just hope it works
    I think taking it apart was a good idea. The water you found was what I was afraid of. I know the rice thing is a popular idea...but I think in this situation...with the phone open...fresh air is the best cure. Wouldn't want rice dust inside my phone...
    02-21-12 11:04 PM
  15. slipperyslope555's Avatar
    I think taking it apart was a good idea. The water you found was what I was afraid of. I know the rice thing is a popular idea...but I think in this situation...with the phone open...fresh air is the best cure. Wouldn't want rice dust inside my phone...
    Yep same thing with watches, I bought a expensive guess watch. And I was familiar with the Crown - how you have to screw it in after you press it in. I left it unscrewed and went swimming, I left that thing in rice for a week and when my jewler removed the backing there was a puddle in there.
    02-21-12 11:07 PM
  16. sulcopete's Avatar
    Yep same thing with watches, I bought a expensive guess watch. And I was familiar with the Crown - how you have to screw it in after you press it in. I left it unscrewed and went swimming, I left that thing in rice for a week and when my jewler removed the backing there was a puddle in there.
    Makes sense...and the most important factor in evaporation is relative humidity. If that's low, evaporation is quick. I think open air, in a small room with a dehumidifier running would be an ideal situation.
    02-21-12 11:12 PM
  17. slipperyslope555's Avatar
    Makes sense...and the most important factor in evaporation is relative humidity. If that's low, evaporation is quick. I think open air, in a small room with a dehumidifier running would be an ideal situation.
    I have everything taken apart, I wiped off all the water, the bezel, keyboard, lcd are seperated, and the middle mother board piece. The battery has a pink moisture square too.. but I think it will dry soon! I got a hair dryer aimed at the parts and its heating everything up removing the moisture.

    I just hope when i put everything together it works... now im worried.
    02-21-12 11:15 PM
  18. sulcopete's Avatar
    I have everything taken apart, I wiped off all the water, the bezel, keyboard, lcd are seperated, and the middle mother board piece. The battery has a pink moisture square too.. but I think it will dry soon! I got a hair dryer aimed at the parts and its heating everything up removing the moisture.

    I just hope when i put everything together it works... now im worried.
    Good luck! Let us know what happens. It's like a high-drama situation....if your blackberry pulls through it will have a near-death-experience story to tell. Maybe it's seen the light.....
    02-21-12 11:21 PM
  19. slipperyslope555's Avatar
    Good luck! Let us know what happens. It's like a high-drama situation....if your blackberry pulls through it will have a near-death-experience story to tell. Maybe it's seen the light.....
    Im going to wait 1 more hour and put it together, it looks very dry ill let u know
    02-21-12 11:24 PM
  20. slipperyslope555's Avatar
    I just re-assembled everything, phone was super dry no water anywhere. It turns on and everything works that I can tell right now! looks the same as before, except its cleaner!
    02-21-12 11:49 PM
  21. Silver826's Avatar
    One word. LUCKY.
    02-22-12 12:01 AM
  22. BitPusher2600's Avatar
    I was washing dishes, and it fell out of my shirt pocket while it was on. I took it out and took the battery out, dried it off with a blow dryer till it was really hot. And everything works on it for now lol, im afraid of what will happen will it rust? should I do anything? Its dry but I dunno if its dry on the inside.
    This is a bold 9900 its white!

    Any advice, thanks
    BTW im new here!
    Welcome to CB, this place is fantastic.

    Man, reading threads like this makes me picture myself in those shoes right along with that subsequent sinking feeling in the ol' gut that comes with it. I think I'd be devastated. I don't wish that on my worst enemies. Hope she's a-ok man, I truly do.
    02-22-12 04:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD