...it is STILL working.

This morning, I dropped my 2 month old BB into the pan at the end of a flush cycle.

Stood there thinking to myself 'what a f****** daft *****' i am for quite a few seconds TBH, 5 or so, waiting for the flush to finish I guess.

Reached in and pulled it out and as I did I caught the sleep button. The phone was dripping with water and it LIT UP.... im like WTF?

So, shook as much water off it as I could, stripped it down, SIM card into another phone, BB into the airing cupboard and off to work I went.

Not long back home now, gave the BB a quick blast with a hair dryer and re-assembled.

Red light on, then off.... then the boot up screen..... tense, nervous moments.... and then comes to life..... WOWZER!!

Ive just called the insurance company, I have 14 days to make a claim if needed so will see how it goes but seems all ok now.... mic is fine, speaker fine, loudspeaker fine....

So, any doubters on BB build quility..... ah hem, lol

A very happy Steve!
    lockedtight and Vijik like this.
    10-03-11 08:20 AM
    i hear putting in a bag of rice will deal with anymoisture that you haven't dealt with.

This story could have had a s hitty outcome
    mysticmeg and Bonnie Bonzai like this.
    10-03-11 08:34 AM
    There have been so many of these stories what a riot ..
    BB are well built for the most part ..

I can't stop laughing at these kind of stories though
    Tomo1971 likes this.
    10-03-11 08:39 AM
    i hear putting in a bag of rice will deal with anymoisture that you haven't dealt with.

This story could have had a s hitty outcome
    Heard the rice thing before, in fact know people that have done it but more so people who havnt got phone insurance.

I have, so ultimatley id only lose �25 excess but its the time been without a phone thats the issue. So will see how things 'pan' out I guess.

I didnt mention before, the BB was in one of the genuine RIM hard shell cases. Im guessing due to the snug fit of that then that helped somewhat, although the mic, speakers, headset, USB ports are still open and water deff went into them.

Steve
    10-03-11 08:41 AM
    It sucks that you dropped it in the toilet, but why even mess with the phone when you in the toilet? Hopefully you wont suffer long term effects.
    10-03-11 09:13 AM
    It sucks that you dropped it in the toilet, but why even mess with the phone when you in the toilet? Hopefully you wont suffer long term effects.
    LOL, as it happened I had just gone in there with phone in hand to get something, and slipped out as I walked past the pan....
    10-03-11 09:25 AM
    Take the battery out & leave it in a bag of rice for 2-3 days. Do NOT try and turn it on until it's been at least 2 days. Be prepared to have a tooth pick and other small cleaning supplies to remove all the small pieces of rice. After 2 or 3 days, pop in the battery and fire it up.
    Although I would suggest leaving it in rice for 2-3 days while you get the torx screws to take it apart and manually dry the components yourself. Then firing it up.
    10-03-11 09:34 AM
    Too late crucial...

Did you read my OP.... it was still ON and LIT up as I removed it from the water. Switched it off, dried it out, placed in a warm cupboard for 3 to 4 hours. Heated with a hair dryer for a few minutes till warm, re-assembled and fired up. All working.

Cant be arsed to wait for it to 'dry off' in rice for a few days, will take the risk, if it goes faulty then my insurance will take care of it.

S.
    10-03-11 09:39 AM
    IMO sell ur phone asap. In long term, there might be some micro-oxidations(rust) etc... saying just my two cents.
    10-03-11 09:41 AM
    Too late crucial...

Did you read my OP.... it was still ON and LIT up as I removed it from the water. Switched it off, dried it out, placed in a warm cupboard for 3 to 4 hours. Heated with a hair dryer for a few minutes till warm, re-assembled and fired up. All working.

Cant be arsed to wait for it to 'dry off' in rice for a few days, will take the risk, if it goes faulty then my insurance will take care of it.

S.
    I scanned over it rather quickly, sorry. Oh well. I know the feeling of not being able to wait a couple days. Least it's working. First sign of any kookyness definitely give your insurance a call & get it replaced. GL. )
    10-03-11 09:43 AM
    IMO sell ur phone asap. In long term, there might be some micro-oxidations(rust) etc... saying just my two cents.
    Thats my thoughts too.... see how it goes in the next wee while and will get the insurance involved.

And I would NEVER sell something on that could have issues that I knew about.

S.
    Crucial_Xtreme likes this.
    10-03-11 09:43 AM
    Just for general info, wrap you wet BB in a paper towel BEFORE putting it in the rice to avoid rice particles from migrating into your device.

Glad your is back up and running but beware of possible future problems.
    10-03-11 10:39 AM
    I'm not sure I'd want to put that up my face after taking it out from a toilet bowl
    10-03-11 10:43 AM
    agreed...but if you sell it make sure you inform the buyer of this issue
    10-03-11 10:49 AM
    ...it is STILL working.

This morning, I dropped my 2 month old BB into the pan at the end of a flush cycle.

Stood there thinking to myself 'what a f****** daft *****' i am for quite a few seconds TBH, 5 or so, waiting for the flush to finish I guess.

Reached in and pulled it out and as I did I caught the sleep button. The phone was dripping with water and it LIT UP.... im like WTF?

So, shook as much water off it as I could, stripped it down, SIM card into another phone, BB into the airing cupboard and off to work I went.

Not long back home now, gave the BB a quick blast with a hair dryer and re-assembled.

Red light on, then off.... then the boot up screen..... tense, nervous moments.... and then comes to life..... WOWZER!!

Ive just called the insurance company, I have 14 days to make a claim if needed so will see how it goes but seems all ok now.... mic is fine, speaker fine, loudspeaker fine....

So, any doubters on BB build quility..... ah hem, lol

A very happy Steve!
    I guess that you were really S*** out of luck huh? I just could not resist....Sorry!
    mysticmeg likes this.
    10-03-11 10:50 AM
    One comment is that even if its working now, it can still develop problems later. Any sort of water damage can cause problems with the electrical components so while it may seem fine now, you could be looking at problems with corrosion later. This isn't to mention that your phone's warranty is now toast so if something else comes up, you could be hooped. If you have insurance on it, I would recommend getting it swapped out. Like that, you know you won't have any future problems. And obviously in the future, maybe keep the device in a slightly safer spot next time you're using the facilities.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Tomo1971 likes this.
    10-03-11 11:04 AM
    One comment is that even if its working now, it can still develop problems later. Any sort of water damage can cause problems with the electrical components so while it may seem fine now, you could be looking at problems with corrosion later. This isn't to mention that your phone's warranty is now toast so if something else comes up, you could be hooped. If you have insurance on it, I would recommend getting it swapped out. Like that, you know you won't have any future problems. And obviously in the future, maybe keep the device in a slightly safer spot next time you're using the facilities.

Im actually starting to think the same after this and earlier comments. I did say this to the insurance company (through my bank account rewards system), concerned that while now its actually working now, what happens in several weeks or months.... hmmmm.... at least I managed to do a full back up (which I hadnt done for a while) since powering it back on.

Steve
    10-03-11 01:35 PM
    I hope it wasn't a public toilet!
    10-03-11 04:25 PM
    Crackberry thread or episode of Seinfeld?

10-03-11 06:53 PM
    You should be stoned for dropping it into the crapper lol.

gordonzhao likes this.
    10-03-11 07:05 PM
    I'd definitely frown upon that, unless you state the phone has been dropped in the s hitter. If you suspect it might go bad, go with your gut feeling and claim the insurance on it.

Thats my thoughts too.... see how it goes in the next wee while and will get the insurance involved.

And I would NEVER sell something on that could have issues that I knew about.

S.
    Is the sticker still white?

Not to call you out, but you're caught up in your own lies!

You walked into the bathroom to get something. But you also flushed the toilet. Obviously it doesn't really matter but I thought it was funny.
    10-03-11 08:04 PM
    You should be stoned for dropping it into the crapper lol.

What makes you think he wasn't stone when it fell in the crapper....
    10-03-11 09:39 PM
    firstly, thats very gutting, but you got it back working so you havent lost any data.

personally, from experience of working in phone repairs, id be getting them to swap it out under your insurance, what seems ok now, may (and normally does) in time go wrong. while you say you`ve dried it out well, theres normally some little bits of moisture, biggest culprits are around where the chips are soldered to the board and the space between the chip and the board/receptacle can sometimes hold a little mositure.

my clear advice would be, its water damaged and your insurance company are happy to replace it - take them up on that for a hassle free future and full peace of mind.
    gordonzhao likes this.
    10-03-11 09:49 PM
    This is nothing. An ex-girlfriend of mine once ran a Nokia 5110 GSM phone through an ENTIRE washing machine program. (like washing it for an hour)
    When it came out we disassembled it, dried everything and put it back together and... it worked fine for a very long time after.
    10-03-11 10:37 PM
    There is more to this story.....

But will post once the insurance company have decided what they are doing.

And you will be amazed!

S/
    10-04-11 10:49 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD