The issue I had is the opposite. Whenever I hit the spacebar it wouldn't register. It was VERY annoying because it's random. It happens everytime I type, but not every word. I reloaded the OS, I'm using .585 but it got worse. So I got a brand new replacement today.

Off topic. Another reason why I got mine replaced is because a lot of people were complaining that they couldn't hear me. They said I sounded like I was talking under water or that I sounded muffled. I did read the thread about the under water part. I hope the new one I got don't have the same issue.
    Enabling Auto Vol Control and Boosting Treble solved another members "underwater issue". Some will argue that these control Audio only. Others say it greatly improves voice transmission as well. Try it and see if it helps. press call button/menu/options/in call settings.

I had my old 8330 setup this way and never had any complaints. I have my 9930 setup the same way and am told the voice quality is crystal clear.
    Last edited by albee 1; 02-12-12 at 05:57 PM.
    02-12-12 05:55 PM
    Stuff like this was apparent in several OS's prior to 7.1.0.205 so if your not using 7.1.0.205 than quit moaning.

Also, the browser has a Java issue where typing is near impossible with some sites like Crackberry. Is it possible your issue happens when the browser is sitting on a troublesome page and you hop over to do some Email? That would make sense. For Crackberry to work properly Java must be disabled in the Browser Options.

Aside from that I would think that since the space bar is one of the most used buttons that it may have a physical problem and needs to be exchanged. Exchanging it will still require a newer OS and lots of time spent setting up the phone.
    02-12-12 07:13 PM
    Enabling Auto Vol Control and Boosting Treble solved another members "underwater issue". Some will argue that these control Audio only. Others say it greatly improves voice transmission as well. Try it and see if it helps. press call button/menu/options/in call settings.

I had my old 8330 setup this way and never had any complaints. I have my 9930 setup the same way and am told the voice quality is crystal clear.

I did change my in call settings to all of the above awhile back and it didn't help at all. It progressively got worse. So far my brand new replacement is great. My spacebar actually works now!
    02-13-12 12:14 AM
    Hey DC. You didn't search too well I guess because I posted this same exact problem in the middle of January and it pops right up but you are "The Genius" though huh? Maybe you're goal should be "CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses"........... or do you feel better just making people feel below you?

Really not trying to be a to you DC, just don't like those that DO know try to make those that DO NOT know feel stupid. Believe it or not, you've helped me a few times and I didn't have that impression of you. All Good.......
    Actually it was just to the one guy specifically for telling me I don't know what I'm talking about.

And I did search. Double pressing spacebar.
    All that came up were the ones asking to disable the "." Shortcut or add it.

And yes, I do remember helping you.
    Sorry if I've offended you, I only meant to offend the one who told me I didn't know what I was talking about.
    Last edited by Deathcommand; 02-13-12 at 01:01 AM.
    02-13-12 12:54 AM
    Stuff like this was apparent in several OS's prior to 7.1.0.205 so if your not using 7.1.0.205 than quit moaning.

Also, the browser has a Java issue where typing is near impossible with some sites like Crackberry. Is it possible your issue happens when the browser is sitting on a troublesome page and you hop over to do some Email? That would make sense. For Crackberry to work properly Java must be disabled in the Browser Options.

Aside from that I would think that since the space bar is one of the most used buttons that it may have a physical problem and needs to be exchanged. Exchanging it will still require a newer OS and lots of time spent setting up the phone.
    I am using the latest 9930 Sprint. Vanilla. (Not a hybrid for once)
    The issue happens sometimes when I am in notepad(and an email, and on BBM, and on browser, and on Opera Mini.) and just clicking the spacebar. I see it move over twice after I click it once.

Are you saying I should get it replaced?
    I don't have a problem with setting it back up. I do it all the time. Lol.
    02-13-12 12:57 AM
    If anyone is interested, it happened again, and I will be calling sprint for a replacement soon. (Hopefully in 2 days)
    02-13-12 01:00 AM
    this exact same issue happened to my 9930 after loading 7.1.0.163. Never had it from earlier OS installs, be it official, leaked or hybrid. I'm pretty sure this is just a software issue and hopefully, can be fixed by the next official release. But that's just me talking from my own experience with my device. I can be wrong.
    02-13-12 04:18 AM
    If anyone is interested, it happened again, and I will be calling sprint for a replacement soon. (Hopefully in 2 days)
    Hello guys, its been a few days. I'll explain why because it is directly related to this post. I had been having this issue for some time and this past Saturday I called VZW and explained both a battery drainage issue and the space bar problem. The VZW rep told me that they have been receiving quite a few calls about BOTH issues and they offered to send me a replacement (refurbished) phone, which I agreed to.

Once it arrived and I was complete in activating and transferring the nonsense, I noticed IMMEDIATELY that the space bar felt much sturdier and it seems as though the issue was a hardware issue. I've been using the phone pretty heavy (emails and such) in order to see if I could replicate the issue and it hasn't double spaced once and the period feature works excellent. I can feel the keys are MUCH better and more solid than the phone I returned.

I agree with you in that you sent for a new phone as I believe you will be much happier. Please let me know how you feel once you get your replacement and have some use time on it as I'd like to see if you feel as I do.

Now, with that space bar issue apparently solved, the new phone sent to me also seems to have helped with the battery drainage issues as well. I seem to be getting better usage levels and it is lasting a good 10 hrs now (still, depending on how crazy I'm using a program of course. We'll see).

Since receiving my new phone, I found out I was having a memory problem of some sort. The Blackberry Device Analyzer's "Device Responsiveness" analyzer advised me that I had low memory and advised me to do a reboot. I did this and my free memory went from 24 to 32. The device advised me to track the issue for a few days. It apparently checks the following: Flash Free, Flash Free On Reset, Total Heap Size, Total Allocations and Total Garbage. I have NO idea what any of this means so I will be calling VZW back once I finish this post.

Anyway, back to the original issue of the space bar. Once again, I haven't had it happen in 4 days so I'm hoping it was a hardware issue that is now , dare I say it, solved. I will let you all know if things change. DC- let me know what you think when you get your new device up and running for a bit.
    02-15-12 01:44 PM
    Glad it worked for you and I hope it stays that
    keyhole likes this.
    02-15-12 04:26 PM
    Glad it worked for you and I hope it stays that way.
    02-15-12 04:27 PM
    I can't bring myself to get the replacement.
    It happens only once or twice a day so I don't know how I'm supposed to prove to Sprint that it really is a problem on my phone. .

However I can quote the time when they sent me on a 3 hour long voyage to different sprint stores to get my crooked trackpad issue fixed. (They never fixed it)
    02-16-12 05:32 PM
    I had the same issue when I first got my 9900. Thought it was my typing then realized I had never had this problem before on any other bb. Sent it in and they replaced the keyboard on it and sent back. Works perfectly now.
    02-16-12 10:29 PM
    I had the same issue when I first got my 9900. Thought it was my typing then realized I had never had this problem before on any other bb. Sent it in and they replaced the keyboard on it and sent back. Works perfectly now.
    I was soooo close to returning my 9900 for a replacement but upgrading to 284 did the trick. I was getting the unwanted period virtually once every 2 sentences. Very frustrating. I upgraded from 267 on the 15th and haven't seen it rear its ugly "pointy" head yet. The OS is running smooth and battery looks stable although too early to really tell. This whole reply was typed on my 9900 and its clean as a whistle. Hope you guys have the same results by upgrading.
    03-19-12 02:23 PM
    My space key sticks at times and then at other times it will advance twice and insert a period. This happened after downloading an app that would place my text messages on the home screen as they came in. But I deleted that app and still have the problem. So I suppose I did download that app not long after I updated my os to 7.1. Now I am noticing that my return key is also sticking and it is becoming more frequent. There is no water damage on my phone. I baby it. I will try the compressed air--but I wonder if I can return it for a new phone--this is my second 9930 because the first one just decided to not turn on one morning. I had owned it for less than three months. This one is less than a month old. I love the Bold 9930--I don't want to have to go to a different phone.
    03-20-12 08:45 AM
    ok...after working perfectly for many months after the keyboard was replaced this problem has started appearing again...much less frequently then the first go around, but it is definitely starting to happen again...
    03-20-12 08:54 AM
    Any updates on this problem? Has anyone been able to determine if it's a hardware problem or OS problem?

The double space issue has been happening to me for quite a while and I'm finally fed up with it.
    07-11-12 01:39 PM
    i updated the device software to 7.1.0.523 on my 9900

and this issue has disappeared!!!!!

now i type fast without messing with the stops and capitals

Its driven me crazy, and i am sure to a lot of other users, i registered to just post this solution.

Update your phone guys.
    08-03-12 05:48 AM
    Have had the same problem for months. Went into the keyboard settings and changed it from "medium" to "medium fast" and have had no problems since.
    fkornre and trochee like this.
    08-10-12 06:10 PM
    Hey thanks jaiello1986.

I thought the OS upgrade fixed it, but overtime it was worse than ever!

Changing keyboard settings to "medium fast" worked!

Thanks a ton!
    09-25-12 03:49 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD