01-28-12 12:41 PM
57 123
tools
    The only great thing that this phone has that others don't is the size and form factor of the keyboard but that's pretty much it! The Torch 9810 has better features and performance, and is, overall, more reliable. Even the curve 8900 and the Bold 9700, with just a 3.1 camera, take better pics than this.

If your flagship device (and the one that everyone calls best BB ever) has a terrible battery life, inferior call recepction, a crappy camera, sqweaky and crooked buttons, build defects, not as much memory as it seems, Plus you're actually lucky if it doesn't brick, aren't you sending people the wrong message? Plus, you're showing people that your best device falls behind when you compare it to other phones on the same range on other platforms.

The 9900 is not a cheap phone, people who buy it do it because they think they're getting a quality product, something they can rely on.

I've been using Blackberry phones for a long time and this is actually my first dissapointment, so this, alone, is not going to make me switch, but how about people who are trying Blackberry for the first time?

Why would they stick around?
    cudinhkien likes this.
    01-26-12 08:19 AM
    Do u even own a 9900 ?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    derekjdech likes this.
    01-26-12 08:36 AM
    well its the best bb ever, minus the things you said, there are many people who have not reported any issues
    01-26-12 09:01 AM
    To answer the question: YES!

The keyboard is awesome, the camera very good, call reception perfect. And very reliable. The perfect phone.
    Battery life is acceptable: one full working day with 3G, wifi on and bridged to the Playbook.
    Last edited by jamesbondOO7; 01-26-12 at 09:07 AM.
    StephE likes this.
    01-26-12 09:04 AM
    i own one
    and the answer is no
    reasons
    awful camera
    awful battery life
    prone to bricking
    cannot remove micro sd card without removing battery (wtf rim!!!!?)

the 9810 should have this title.
    cudinhkien and toldyoso30 like this.
    01-26-12 09:11 AM
    yes the 9900 is the best blackberry ever. i just sold my 9930 only because i paid 100 for it and i got 355 back . and i most certainly will be getting another as soon as i can. nuff said.
    01-26-12 09:12 AM
    i am a new bb user and never have a bb before
    i used android nexus s before but switch to 9900

9900 is my first bb, and so far so good
    battery is better than nexus s
    camera is pretty good
    video is better than nexus s
    and i just love the keyboad and the sexy look...

so far so good, nothing wrong with it
    01-26-12 09:19 AM
    As much I like love the 9900, considering the well documented issues, I will have to say, No!

IMO, it seems that mantle belongs to the 9700....
    01-26-12 09:25 AM
    It is most certainly the most advanced RIM device that they have created.

I am concerned about my poor experience withe what has happened to RIM quality after 4 unitsd failed on me. All is great if you have no issues but I have seen the same "happy" people go the other way quickly when their device bricks.
    01-26-12 09:33 AM
    The only great thing that this phone has that others don't is the size and form factor of the keyboard but that's pretty much it! The Torch 9810 has better features and performance, and is, overall, more reliable. Even the curve 8900 and the Bold 9700, with just a 3.1 camera, take better pics than this.

If your flagship device (and the one that everyone calls best BB ever) has a terrible battery life, inferior call recepction, a crappy camera, sqweaky and crooked buttons, build defects, not as much memory as it seems, Plus you're actually lucky if it doesn't brick, aren't you sending people the wrong message? Plus, you're showing people that your best device falls behind when you compare it to other phones on the same range on other platforms.

The 9900 is not a cheap phone, people who buy it do it because they think they're getting a quality product, something they can rely on.

I've been using Blackberry phones for a long time and this is actually my first dissapointment, so this, alone, is not going to make me switch, but how about people who are trying Blackberry for the first time?

Why would they stick around?
    Everything you describe here I cannot relate to at all, with the exception of the camera, which I'll touch on in a minute. First, the assertion that the Torch 9810 has more/better features than the 9900 is false. Sure, you can use a touch screen keyboard if you choose, and you can use the device in landscape view if you want, but this isn't something that everyone wants. From a hardware standpoint virtually everything internally is the same, with the exception of the camera. Same processor, same memory. If the touch keyboard and larger screen make it better to you, then that's what it is, better TO YOU. It doesn't make it better all around, it just fits your needs better than the 9900.

I've had fantastic battery life for the entire time I've had my 9930. I can go an entire day with heavy use, and still have 35%, and that's at the minimum. I haven't had the bricking issue, my buttons aren't creeky or crooked, and the build of my device has been top notch. My trackpad was slightly creeky for the first month I had the device, that has since gone away, as was the same for numerous other people. While some have had issues with their devices, what we see on the forums may not be representative of the masses who have this device. We see more people with issues because that's the nature of the beast. People come here with problems, that's why we see more of them. Doesn't mean that the 9900 sends the wrong message.

Where I'll agree with you is on the camera, to a point. It's the one area where this device has let me down, but to say that the picture quality from the old 3.2mp cameras is better is stretching it a little. The only time the old 3.2 takes a better shot is when you're getting a picture of something up close, where the autofocus comes into play, aside from that the 5.0 in the 9900 takes a better picture. The camera could be better, it's not as good as the one in the 9810, but that's about the only shortcomming in my opinion.

In all honesty, there is no such thing as the "best" phone. The best phone is the one that does what you want better than any other. If the Torch 9810 works better for you than the 9900, then that's the better phone. If a Curve 8350i does things the way that someone wants, then that's the best device for that individual. Best is subjective, it's why we have options in the Smartphone arena. There is no doubt that the 9900 is BlackBerry's flagship device, and rightfully so, but that doesn't make it the best.
    01-26-12 09:48 AM
    I have never had a problem with my 9900, I load leaked OS's, it gets banged around, I charge it at night (one of the mentioned causes of bricking), in fact, I've done everything to this phone short of getting it wet. Oh, and it's a Mexico 4, the problem child of the line, obviously not in my case though.

I've never dropped a call, my trackpad and keyboard work as they should, and without any odd noises. The camera works for what I need it for, although auto-focus would have been nice. Battery life in my usage is about 24 hours, but all of the trucks have chargers, and my battery has never died during a job. I have killed the battery a few times for test purposes, never a brick.

As time marches on, I do find myself using the 9810 a bit more often, as my eyesight is not quite the same as when I was a younger man, and glasses are kind of a pain in my line of work. Such is life.

The 9900 is a fantastic phone, and for messaging, it can't be beaten, Yes, it's that good. The 9810 has the larger screen, and a bit smaller keyboard.

I call this comparison a tie.
    01-26-12 09:49 AM
    i've had 3 bb's

curve 8310, bold 9700 and now bold 9900

imo, hands down, the 9900 is the best bb of the 3 i've owned. the speed at which things can be accomplished on the 9900 beats them. also, having a touchscreen along with the kb is a perfect combination.
    raymond likes this.
    01-26-12 10:03 AM
    Yes, the 9900 is better then the 9810 for me. Bold form factor is awesome, battery life is good depending on how you have it setup. The only thing I can really complain about is getting the battery door off, have to use a tool. Other then that it's the best out of 9000,9700,9800, and 9810 that I've owned. Same performance as 9810 but better keyboard.
    01-26-12 10:38 AM
    You know, this is a tricky question. My response is a definitive MAYBE. Here's the thing - technology is always moving forward, so naturally this phone does more than previous phones. I've got a 32 gig card with ALL my music and 11 gigs left over. Love that, and my 9700 couldn't do it. But, removing the more advanced state from the equation...and just judging it on a relative scale....It's a close call. The ergonomics on the 9900 are better no matter what the tech is...so I guess that tips the scales for me. But with the 9700 battery life was never even a question, and I miss the peace of mind that came with that. I can't imagine what ever persuaded RIM to make a compromise in battery life with this phone. Major misstep.
    StephE likes this.
    01-26-12 10:47 AM
  15. T
    You have to take the battery out to remove the micro sd card? I'm a bit surprised about that. When I went from my Curve 8330m to my Bold 9650 (non-camera model), I was thrilled to find out that, unlike with my Curve, it wasn't necessary to remove the battery on the Bold to take out the micro sd card.
    fabio1 likes this.
    01-26-12 10:51 AM
    Yes. Without a Doubt. This phone is the absolute best BlackBerry to Date. I love my 9930. And actually got hired at my current job because of it. (True Story)

She's been an absolute Machine when it comes to Communication and even if she isn't the best BlackBerry in the minds of some, she's been Good to Me. She's been everything I could ever ask for in a Phone.

And for some reason, that bothers people. But I'm happy with my 9930. She's no stop-gap until BB10 for Me. She's my Beautiful, Hardworking Smartphone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    elphie28, jamesbondOO7 and StephE like this.
    01-26-12 02:20 PM
    This is the best Blackberry I have ever owned, had a 8520, 8900, 9300, 9700, 9780, 9800

I love the size, form, functions

01-26-12 02:42 PM
    Does the Bold 9900 really deserve the Title of Best Blackberry ever?
    Yes... next question
    01-26-12 03:13 PM
    Yes it does.

This thread is troll bait.
    01-26-12 03:17 PM
    Yes it does.

This thread is troll bait.
    Absolutely not trying to argue with you, but I really haven't seen any 9900 bashing in this whole thread.

Well, except for the OP.
    Last edited by AugustArborists; 01-26-12 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Added
    01-26-12 03:42 PM
    Absolutely not trying to argue with you, but I really haven't seen any 9900 bashing in this whole thread.

Well, except for the OP.
    Yes you are correct... but I see it coming.
    AugustArborists likes this.
    01-26-12 03:46 PM
    Just my thoughts on the camera debate:

While it doesn't have auto focus, and with the exception of close up shots, I think the camera on this phone is decent to occasionally great.

For those who say this camera is "useless" or even "aweful" these comments are more or less trash. Sure, its not an iPhone camera (which is admitadly the best on a phone right now), but it still takes more than decent shots if used correctly.

Comments like "aweful" and "useless" are almost something a politician would say. Its either all or nothing, right or wrong, when in all honesty the camera is not all that bad. These camera critics should just move on, or just get a real digitial camera for your photos. Seriously people, its a phone first, not a camera. Get off your high horse and be real world about this issue.
    01-26-12 03:49 PM
    definately the best ever. a perfect balance of looks, feel, quality construction, practical performance and a fantastic keyboard!

there is a reason why this phone is still in the top 10 (as of 26 jan 2012) on amazon uk sim free phones sales rank 6 months after its release
    01-26-12 04:15 PM
    i own one
    and the answer is no
    reasons
    awful camera
    awful battery life
    prone to bricking
    cannot remove micro sd card without removing battery (wtf rim!!!!?)

the 9810 should have this title.

camera works fine for me. I can even take pictures of receipts that are pretty close. what are you taking pictures of that need to me within 3 inches of your phone?

learn how to properly close your apps down, I would by no means call the battery awful.

mine bricked but I got a new one the next day for free. Just as anyone else should.

You don't need to remove it with OS7. Have you connected your phone to a computer with a usb cable? A little option pops up that says use as flash drive.

Do you prefer a CRT TV over a plasma because you can't get image burn?
    01-26-12 05:21 PM
    Overall the BlackBerry Bold 9900 has both strong and weak points. Like mine is a squeaky button on the keyboard mainly the space bar but its alright majority of the time. But seriously battery life is really poor and I'm finding myself having to limit my use of the full phone for everyday bbm's, emails, texting & calling. Its a brilliant phone and everytime I look at it when I'm home I think Thank God I have this BlackBerry with me as it gets me through every single day and is reliable!!! I wouldn't ever swap to a different phone as I can't imagine thank RIM enough for making communications even more reliable for their customers!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-26-12 06:22 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD