Just my thoughts on the camera debate:

While it doesn't have auto focus, and with the exception of close up shots, I think the camera on this phone is decent to occasionally great.

For those who say this camera is "useless" or even "aweful" these comments are more or less trash. Sure, its not an iPhone camera (which is admitadly the best on a phone right now), but it still takes more than decent shots if used correctly.

Comments like "aweful" and "useless" are almost something a politician would say. Its either all or nothing, right or wrong, when in all honesty the camera is not all that bad. These camera critics should just move on, or just get a real digitial camera for your photos. Seriously people, its a phone first, not a camera. Get off your high horse and be real world about this issue.
    But the question is (I'll reword it for clarity), "Why does RIM market the 9900 as it's flagship model when the 9810 has a larger screen that can switch modes, and a much better camera ?"

Yes it's a phone first, but why does RIM's other phones get a better camera. Why couldn't their flagship model get the same camera as the 9810/60 ? Then it would be the undisputed king.

If you want to scan QR codes and UPI symbols, it's my understanding that the 9900's camera really is "useless" and "aweful".

9810/60 is King of the Mountain.
    toldyoso30 likes this.
    01-27-12 09:49 PM
    But the question is (I'll reword it for clarity), "Why does RIM market the 9900 as it's flagship model when the 9810 has a larger screen that can switch modes, and a much better camera ?"

Yes it's a phone first, but why does RIM's other phones get a better camera. Why couldn't their flagship model get the same camera as the 9810/60 ? Then it would be the undisputed king.

If you want to scan QR codes and UPI symbols, it's my understanding that the 9900's camera really is "useless" and "aweful".

9810/60 is King of the Mountain.
    Well I have to say that the QR scanner works great with the phone, I've used it many times. Most consistantly when I'm demonstrating how to use BB Bridge on the Playbook and my 9900. Now everytime I do this it works great, I've never had problems scanning the QR and even on some of the HP QR barcodes we have in our store. So I'd say the camera scans the QR fine.
    01-27-12 10:39 PM
    The only downsides (for my personal case) for the 9900 are the camera when compared to the 9780 (which I previously had), the 9780 was snappier at taking pictures and the overall image quality was better. At times I can't control the touch screen for 7-10 seconds and it has happened in all 3 that I have had so far. The final thing is the speed of YouTube. On my 9780 I rarely had my phone buffer when I had all my bars and 3G coverage. With the 9900 I get all my bars and so called "4G" service and it buffers so much that I decided to stop using the app all together. With my use, I get a full day of battery no problems.
    01-27-12 11:45 PM
    Coming from six previous BlackBerrys, this is by far the best one to date. In terms of actually using the phone for communication (unlike auto-focus cameras which has nothing to do with actually using it as a phone), the keyboard is amazing. The 9810 does not interest me at all, as I'm not fond of having to always slide the keyboard up, and I prefer the landscape screen orientation even at the expense of size. As for the full-touchscreen torch, no... At least, not without SurePress.
    01-28-12 12:22 AM
    It is the best BlackBerry ever - with room for improvement.
    01-28-12 10:35 AM
    The only great thing that this phone has that others don't is the size and form factor of the keyboard but that's pretty much it! The Torch 9810 has better features and performance, and is, overall, more reliable. Even the curve 8900 and the Bold 9700, with just a 3.1 camera, take better pics than this.

If your flagship device (and the one that everyone calls best BB ever) has a terrible battery life, inferior call recepction, a crappy camera, sqweaky and crooked buttons, build defects, not as much memory as it seems, Plus you're actually lucky if it doesn't brick, aren't you sending people the wrong message? Plus, you're showing people that your best device falls behind when you compare it to other phones on the same range on other platforms.

The 9900 is not a cheap phone, people who buy it do it because they think they're getting a quality product, something they can rely on.

I've been using Blackberry phones for a long time and this is actually my first dissapointment, so this, alone, is not going to make me switch, but how about people who are trying Blackberry for the first time?

Why would they stick around?
    Yes and no, before BB simply compared to itself, now you have to compare it to the competition, and the competition is way ahead.

Let us assume that is is better than any previous model and only talk of BB7 devices.

Curve anything and Torch anything.

What can the Torch or Curve models do better? Other than offer full screen, nothing.
    Nothing at all. You might be able to say the camera, but I have no problem with my 9900.....no problems at all.

The Torch 9810 is to heavy to hold for a long commute, annoyingly thick to keep in your front pocket, and unlock button is overly sensitive.

You can always judge a BB by the apps you put on to compensate for it's internal shortcomings. The Bold doesn't have many. And it has NFC...right?

So, if you ignore the camera feature, it really has no weaknesses. Anyone complaining of a reboot, I am sorry but I feel that is a software issue and not truly a hardware issue.

The keyboard and non sliding one at that, keep the Heavy torch at bay. The full touch Torch can't compete, you need a real keyboard to be considered flagship, maybe the BB10 torch will prove us wrong. Until then.
    01-28-12 10:44 AM
    Question is purely subjective. Is it everybody's best blackberry ever? Probably not. Is it my best bb ever? Absolutely yes. I've had an 8330m, 9670, and now a 9930. Love the keyboard, touchscreen, pretty much everything about it. My battery lasts all day, so I'm good.
    01-28-12 11:41 AM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD