I don't know about the rest of you but I am SO SICK of hearing DEVICE, DEVICE, DEVICE, DEVICE, DEVICE, DEVICE, DEVICE, DEVICE, DEVICE, DEVICE...it's a phone people why can't you just call it a phone and stop referring to everyting that is mobile as a "device!" OMG it absolutely drives me INSANE! The computer that you are on is a "device" but you don't refer to it as that, you call it a computer...so come on and call a phone a phone and enough with calling them "devices"...

There are even commericals that are out now talking about the future and they just have to throw in a few "device" words here and there as well...

Just a huge pet peeve of mine...
    07-25-11 03:40 AM
    But its not a phone, its a device
    MobileMadness002, eBud and rrrebo like this.
    07-25-11 03:45 AM
    Yes but the main purpose of it is to make phone calls, everyting else is just extra goodies. It's a phone!
    07-25-11 04:23 AM
    I don't know about the rest of you but I am SO SICK of hearing DEVICE, DEVICE, DEVICE, DEVICE, DEVICE, DEVICE, DEVICE, DEVICE, DEVICE, DEVICE...it's a phone people why can't you just call it a phone and stop referring to everyting that is mobile as a "device!" OMG it absolutely drives me INSANE! The computer that you are on is a "device" but you don't refer to it as that, you call it a computer...so come on and call a phone a phone and enough with calling them "devices"...

There are even commericals that are out now talking about the future and they just have to throw in a few "device" words here and there as well...

Just a huge pet peeve of mine...
    I suggest anger management. How could the word DEVICE upset you so much? Why would you ALLOW it to upset you so much?
    Last edited by greggebhardt; 07-25-11 at 05:17 AM.
    07-25-11 04:29 AM
    device   
    [dih-vahys]
    –noun
    1. A thing made for a particular purpose; an invention or contrivance, especially a mechanical or electrical one.

Device is a perfectly valid word to use to describe a phone. You are getting upset over semantics for no reason.
    farmurr likes this.
    07-25-11 04:51 AM
    I think you should get out more
    07-25-11 05:06 AM
    Much sophisticated than the word a majority of Indians use to describe a phone. They call it 'piece'.
    07-25-11 05:21 AM
    Yes but the main purpose of it is to make phone calls, everyting else is just extra goodies. It's a phone!
    Main purpose is for wireless communications, if you don't like word device how about "Personal Information Management Utility?" Till I see a REAL reason to stop calling it a device I will continue call it as such.
    07-25-11 05:51 AM
    Device ▸a machine or piece of equipment that does a particular thing

Telephone ▸a piece of electronic equipment that you use for speaking to someone in a different place. A telephone is often simply called a phone

You tell me which best identifies it.
    07-25-11 06:00 AM
    Device ▸a machine or piece of equipment that does a particular thing

Telephone ▸a piece of electronic equipment that you use for speaking to someone in a different place. A telephone is often simply called a phone

You tell me which best identifies it.
    I'd say "device." The device manages communications. Email, SMS, BBM, Calendar, Address Book, personal entertainment, and the list goes on, and if you so please you can even talk to a person in another location.

*** The blackberry does not require a voice plan to be used, carriers impose them on us because they can.
    07-25-11 06:07 AM
    The origional purpose of BlackBerry was not to make phone calls but to send Long text based messages

The voice component was an add on to the primary function of the BlackBerry so calling it a Device is actually more fitting, of the 10-12 hours a day I am using my Torch, 6 of them are non voice, though my curve is about 50% voice

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01itr and rrrebo like this.
    07-25-11 06:38 AM
    Someone needs to get a life. The Bold touch DEVICES will be awesome!!!!!
    07-25-11 06:56 AM
    I actually use my DEVICE as a computer alot more than I use it as a phone.
    07-25-11 07:33 AM
    "Piece of Kit" is more annoying.
    07-25-11 07:44 AM
    Wait till they start trying to push the word "superphone", I think that would annoy me more. Unless it came with a BB cape...
    07-25-11 08:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD