Does blackberry browser support full Flash like online videos etc?
    For example, can you watch anything by going to a website?
    11-25-11 11:49 PM
    No, the blackberry browser does not support flash.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-11 12:01 AM
    Does blackberry browser support full Flash like online videos etc?
    For example, can you watch anything by going to a website?
    No. However the OS7 browser does support HTML5 video playback, so certain YouTube videos will work without needing to use the app, and certain sites like Vimeo that have dual Flash/HTML5 support will work just fine as well.
    11-26-11 12:09 AM
    Thanks for the replies, 7 years later, I am still where I was with flash websites.. Why RIM why.. I was really hoping to be able to watch flash streaming web TV, I checked with Android phone, it works very nice, but I can't seem to give up the e-mail features of BES..

Weren't they developing blackberry service for other phones, whatever happened to that plan?
    11-26-11 11:24 AM
    Youll probably want to read this: Adobe kills Flash on mobile devices
    11-26-11 11:32 AM
    when BBX phones are released next year you will get flash finally. I wouldnt expect those phones for another 6-9 months though
    11-26-11 11:33 AM
    Thanks for the replies, 7 years later, I am still where I was with flash websites.. Why RIM why.. I was really hoping to be able to watch flash streaming web TV, I checked with Android phone, it works very nice, but I can't seem to give up the e-mail features of BES..

Weren't they developing blackberry service for other phones, whatever happened to that plan?
    Adobe will no longer be doing any further work on developing mobile flash. Mobile flash is dead at this point. Devices that already support it can continue to use it, but HTML5 will be what is developed further for mobile.

Adobe kills mobile Flash and cuts 750 staff
    11-26-11 11:33 AM
    Use RDM. bwahahahaha!
    11-26-11 11:37 AM
    If they want to kill flash on mobile devices, they should kill it on desktop, people are with their phones most of the day, unless the sites offer both HTML5 and FLASH for all content, it will not work. People complain about not being able to see their favorite sites.

The only reason they are pushing for this is because they want to control streaming data as well as games. Look at the games on iPhone, they are nothing but crappy flash games, except a few of the goods ones. Same on Android. If those flash games are available online who would pay $.99 for them? And there are so many websites who offer streaming flash TV. I checked one at a T-Mobile store, and it was very smooth. So the bottom line, if they really kill flash on mobile, they will make a huge mistake. Why can't someone make an app that acts like a browser, you simply type the URL and the player displays the content.. If Windows does not have flash player, you install it and it supports it. Should be same on mobile devices.
    11-26-11 11:42 AM
    From this site:
    Adobe's chief of developer relations Mike Chambers thinks the company didn't do a good enough job explaining why it's stopping work on Flash for mobile Web browsers.

So he took to his personal blog to make the case more clearly.

Here are the three big reasons he lists:

HTML5 is already almost universally supported in mobile browsers and Adobe realized that Flash would never get there. "Our goal has always been to obtain the same level of ubiquity for the Flash Player on mobile browsers, but, at the end of the day, it is something that did not, and was not going to happen."

Apps made browser-based apps less necessary. "Essentially, users� preferences to consume rich content on mobile devices via applications means that there is not as much need or demand for the Flash Player on mobile devices as there is on the desktop."

Fragmentation. To make Flash work on mobile platforms, Adobe had to work with multiple hardware makers (Motorola, Samsung), platform companies (Google, RIM), and component manufacturers (like Nvidia). That took too much time. "This is something that we realized is simply not scalable or sustainable."
    Clarifications on Flash Player for Mobile Browsers, the Flash Platform, and the Future of Flash at Mike Chambers
    11-26-11 11:54 AM
    If they want to kill flash on mobile devices, they should kill it on desktop, people are with their phones most of the day, unless the sites offer both HTML5 and FLASH for all content, it will not work. People complain about not being able to see their favorite sites.

The only reason they are pushing for this is because they want to control streaming data as well as games. Look at the games on iPhone, they are nothing but crappy flash games, except a few of the goods ones. Same on Android. If those flash games are available online who would pay $.99 for them? And there are so many websites who offer streaming flash TV. I checked one at a T-Mobile store, and it was very smooth. So the bottom line, if they really kill flash on mobile, they will make a huge mistake. Why can't someone make an app that acts like a browser, you simply type the URL and the player displays the content.. If Windows does not have flash player, you install it and it supports it. Should be same on mobile devices.
    Most people don't realize this but, flash sucks. I wish they would kill it on PC too(maybe one day). Flash is slow, and a resource hog. Sure android phones "support" it but not very well. Some sites may work perfectly while others are unusable. Flash on my PC annoys me to no end, why would I want it on my mobile device.

11-26-11 12:50 PM
    Most people don't realize this but, flash sucks. I wish they would kill it on PC too(maybe one day). Flash is slow, and a resource hog. Sure android phones "support" it but not very well. Some sites may work perfectly while others are unusable. Flash on my PC annoys me to no end, why would I want it on my mobile device.

Desktop Flash will probably be killed off in the future too.
    Flash is dead. Long live HTML5. | ZDNet

What the Death of Mobile Flash Means for the Web | Webmonkey | Wired.com
    11-26-11 12:58 PM
    So, how will streaming work? Silverlight? It is another propriety software which most will not support (not sure if WP7 even supports it).. Is there any HTML5 live streaming solutions? I don't think so, so I am guessing flash will remain for a while.
    11-26-11 02:42 PM
    So, how will streaming work? Silverlight? It is another propriety software which most will not support (not sure if WP7 even supports it).. Is there any HTML5 live streaming solutions? I don't think so, so I am guessing flash will remain for a while.
    There actually are HTML5 streaming services/systems out there, They're just still rather new and haven't seen the mass-adoption that has been seen with Flash. You'll probably really start to see those within 2-3 years.

The reason why many big content networks in North America and abroad don't use HTML5 is simply because the DRM and content protection (essentially the same thing) isn't where they'd like it to be. It's rather stupid, but we are talking about the big networks here.

They were. However the carriers disliked the idea, and other companies didn't feel the effort to implement the software into their handsets was worth it, so the idea saw almost no adoption in North America and very little abroad and was eventually killed off.
    11-26-11 02:57 PM
    ^^What he said.

Re: Silverlight, Microsoft is pulling the plug on it.
    11-26-11 04:37 PM
    youtube actually has a HTML5 version also. i use it over flash most times.
    11-26-11 04:40 PM
    No. However the OS7 browser does support HTML5 video playback, so certain YouTube videos will work without needing to use the app, and certain sites like Vimeo that have dual Flash/HTML5 support will work just fine as well.
    Have you actually tried this. Vimeo never works.

11-29-11 01:40 PM
    Have you actually tried this. Vimeo never works.

I tried it just now. It worked fine for me?
    11-29-11 03:48 PM
    I tried it just now. It worked fine for me?
    Well granted this video I made was with a 9810, but I just left the ATT store using a Bold 9900 and it was the same
    issue. VIMEO VIDEOS WILL NOT PLAY CORRECTLY. I should get my replacement 9900 by Friday and I expect to have this issue with Vimeo as I have with every Bold I've played with. I pray I am wrong, but if not I'll make another video. Please watch the video and let me know if the issue is with Vimeo. Thanks.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAc8WVz49Co[/YT]
    Last edited by moe1up; 11-29-11 at 11:44 PM.
    11-29-11 04:52 PM
    I think RIM should stop spending time making new headsets and updates to the OS.
    They should simply supply 3rd Party RIM/BES/BIS services to other platforms like iPhone, Android and WP7 and charge monthly fee. I keep reading the news that RIM is announcing new handsets, I just don't understand it. It is same as what they have, with a slight adjustment, and they keep spending time and effort for those while what they need is a revolution.
    11-30-11 05:42 PM
    I think RIM should stop spending time making new headsets and updates to the OS.
    They should simply supply 3rd Party RIM/BES/BIS services to other platforms like iPhone, Android and WP7 and charge monthly fee. I keep reading the news that RIM is announcing new handsets, I just don't understand it. It is same as what they have, with a slight adjustment, and they keep spending time and effort for those while what they need is a revolution.
    Ummm it's called blackberry fusion.
    11-30-11 08:29 PM
    Well that's a surprise, it is the news that's been released today? Interesting.
    Anyway, it looks like fusion is more of an IT management & policy application rather than simply BES communicating with other platforms. I am talking about making blackbery e-mail system that works so well with Exchange & Enterprise Server an Application that runs on other platforms, therefore enabling the famous blackberry e-mail functionality on other devices, as well as same screen and features.
    11-30-11 08:42 PM
    If html5 worked correctly on the BB, then Adobe ending mobile flash wouldn't be such a big issue.
    12-02-11 12:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD