I wanted to switch devices from my old 9700 (running an OS6 hybrid) to my brand new 9900 I just picked up from Bell today (running OS 7.0.0.261 from bell out of the box).

I read so many stories about the usual DataManage Device switch/transfer wizard not working and causing problems so I struggled with doing backup/restore and blackberry protect restore etc etc only to find those don't transfer everything (bbm contacts, old emails, etc)

So I gave up! I deleted everything on the 9900 and used the DM Switch Devices wizard to switch everything over and it worked perfectly! So quick and easy compared to screwing around with backups & restore like everyone said to do

Try the DM device switch first before you waste time doing backup/restore blah blah...

I'm sure some of my apps wont work, but that's expected with the device switch and OS6 to 7 change. But I can upgrade those manually later as the new os7 versions get released

Just wanted to let everyone know that its not as bad as everyone makes it out to be
    08-16-11 11:18 PM
    I've had great luck using it, even between OS levels 4-6. Haven't had a chance to use it with OS7 yet but it doesn't surprise me that its working well.
    08-16-11 11:32 PM
    I've had good luck with it in the past as well between 3 or 4 different devices that I switched back & forth from a few times in the past with no issues. I was expecting it to work, but all the naysayers and whiners said 'NO Don't use it!'
    So I wasted an hour or two of my time screwing with the backup/restore crap which never fully worked, so I gave up and tried DM and it worked!
    08-16-11 11:36 PM
    I wanted to switch devices from my old 9700 (running an OS6 hybrid) to my brand new 9900

So I gave up! I deleted everything on the 9900 and used the DM Switch Devices wizard to switch everything over and it worked perfectly! So quick and easy compared to screwing around with backups & restore like everyone said to do

Try the DM device switch first before you waste time doing backup/restore blah blah...:
    It's what I always do ! Why not use the DM as it was developed to use with/for the Blackberry. I also agree that all the other stuff seems like overkill (to me)
    08-17-11 12:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD