After some serious thought I have decided to ditch my iPhone4 not because I don't love it but because I love an actual keyboard more. Im thinking about getting the new BB Bold but I have a few questions. Can I still use my mobile me address on the blackberry and...is the new bold even worth it!? Any help y'all could offer would be greatly appreciated!!!
    Chrisy likes this.
    02-25-12 10:31 PM
    I wasn't able to access my mobile me address on the 9900.

I have owned the Bold for a week now. I put the sim card back in my iPhone yesterday.

The Bold is a wonderful phone, but as much as I love the keyboard, there is far more the Bold doesn't do that missed more than the keyboard. It will be a phone I use if something happens to my iPhone, or if I am in the mood for a change.

The screensize alone kills me. I can't take the smaller screen. Also, there are several apps I consider indespensible that either I can't get on BB or the BB version is so crappy it's almost unusable (TAPATALK - THAT MEANS YOU). Also, considering the much smaller screen, the battery life is atrocious. I have never had to charge my iPhone halfway through the day in the almost 9 months I've owned it, and I had to put the Bold on a charger every day I used it this week halfway through my day. Even after I swapped out the battery (showing there was something wrong with the first one), the new battery that wasn't faulty lasted about 3 hours longer before I was needing to charge it. Considering that meant 5pm instead of 2pm...not good. Not good at all, and simply not adequate.

So...I'm back on iPhone.

Like I said, it's a great phone, but after having a larger screen I can't go back. It's nice for a change of pace but I couldn't imagine it being used week in and week out...
    berry_addict and phonejunky like this.
    02-25-12 11:24 PM
    I have owned my 9930 for just over week. This is a wonderful device. It is so smooth with the touchscreen and that incredible keyboard. BB just works for me. It's a personal preference, whatever works for you.
    jaydee5799, Mystic205 and kemj like this.
    02-25-12 11:42 PM
    Ditched my iphone and am loving my BB.

Keyboard is fantastic. Dedicated phone buttons on my PHONE is amazing. I can't believe how much I have missed those buttons.

I love iPhones and have had every model, but there is something about this Berry.

I do miss an app every now and then, but I rate the BB as a much better phone and the iphone as a much better media comsuption (mini tablet). I decided that I need a phone more then a tiny tablet.

Trying to get my wife to switch.

I like the BB calender so much more. BB browser isn't the best, but it works for my daily needs.
    Battery life is better on my BB (but I am also doing less media comsuption).

Talk,text, and email usage have all increased with BB.
    jamesbondOO7 and Giancarlobc like this.
    02-25-12 11:47 PM
    well for work bold is THE best phone. Workhorse. Fast, efficient..
    I had an ipad (sold), an iphone 3G (sold), now samsung note (huge screen, still mistype words.. ridiculous)
    I STILL say for work, i mean real work and fast communication. Nothing in the market beat 99xx keyboard + BBM + OS7 7.1.267 except the battery life which could be better than 8-10hrs, maybe less if i'm constantly checking share prices...
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    02-26-12 01:35 AM
    The 9930 is a workhorse, that is true. No nonsense, straight, get tthings done. It's the device I reach for when I just want to do something, get it done, and go about my day.
    It is true that it has lesser battery life than the iPhone, but unlike the iPhone, I can pop in a fresh one.
    Yup, there are less apps. However, I can get what I need to get done with what I have available. For what is not there I simply use the browser.
    I could not go with the iPhone. Out of the box, no themes. And the inability to change my own battery is a deal breaker for me.
    I'm love my 9930. It does all I need and want.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9370 using Tapatalk
    jamesbondOO7 and jivegirl14 like this.
    02-26-12 02:21 AM
    The 9930 is a workhorse, that is true. No nonsense, straight, get tthings done. It's the device I reach for when I just want to do something, get it done, and go about my day.
    It is true that it has lesser battery life than the iPhone, but unlike the iPhone, I can pop in a fresh one.
    Yup, there are less apps. However, I can get what I need to get done with what I have available. For what is not there I simply use the browser.
    I could not go with the iPhone. Out of the box, no themes. And the inability to change my own battery is a deal breaker for me.
    I'm love my 9930. It does all I need and want.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9370 using Tapatalk
    So well said. I have every app I need to handle everything I could possibly want to accomplish and a few for fun. It's also nice to be able to use standard accessories instead of proprietary stuff. Nothin' like a good keyboard too
    02-26-12 02:53 AM
    There is no need to change the battery in the iPhone. Themes are for people who are not happy with their phone.

Never had a iPhone brick.
    02-26-12 07:14 AM
    There is too many differences between the two devices to have an honest comparison between the two. No matter what smart phone you get there will always something better out there. At this point in time a blackberry can't be compared to any other smart phone because they are one of a kind.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    02-26-12 07:23 AM
    I came from an iPhone 4S. If you are really into web browsing etc the iPhone is better and obviously apps as well. I have a Playbook to go along with my new 9900 so I don't have a problem at all. I browse a bit on the 9900 and yes it doesn't compare to the iPhone but once I loaded OS 2 on my Playbook the iPhone was no more. The iPhone just sat there and I bring the PlayBook to work as well now. I usually browsed with my iPhone sitting on the sofa as my wife used her ipad. Now I use the PlayBook. I didn't use alot of apps. My TD, Bloomberg, TSN, Score, and a few others are on on my 9900 that use each day that were on the iPhone. I'm happy getting a 9900 once again
    Morgothor likes this.
    02-26-12 08:03 AM
    No matter how good an phone is if it lacks certain key features it's no good for you. I ruled out the iphone before I ever got a Blackberry. It wasn't even the keyboard at the time, it was the lack of bluetooth voice dial, it actually had no voice dial at all and I needed it to take calls inside my helmet.

I got my first Blackberry to have fast email for my own hosted account and haven't looked back since.
    02-26-12 08:14 AM
    I love the physical keyboard of Bold 9900 because I can type very fast on here compared to my iPod touch. But, in my personal experience, the lack of apps are creating issues for me sometimes. One example would be a stable app to access desktop remotely. I make servers for a hobby and it would be great if I can get the same Remote Desktop app I have on my iPod on my Blackberry.

If not for the keyboard and attractive Email system, I would have gone for an iPhone by now. I hope RIM come up with great solutions for the app issue. Opening up the Android apps on BB 10 would be a great start. But who knows what RIM will do.
    02-26-12 08:47 AM
    Well with the iphone 4 it adnerves me when my emails are late, never show up, don't have blackberry search funtion, take up so much data polling, causing the phone to not ring,hardly any options to do anything with the emails, and catagories. And that's just email. Texting is simplier,faster and more reliable on BB.I can download media from free file sharing sites directly on my BB that sync directly into media folders. On the iphone you either buy it, load it on a crappy browser interface and play it from there which sucks or transfer it in Itunes from your pc which is a added hassle.The BB OS7 browser does everything the iphone browser does and more. Texted can be resized to fit you ,(mine is at 21), zoom columns text or photos specifically which iphone doesn't do. There is content that plays on the BB super smooth. The BB browser uses less data than the iphone do to compression. The speed is very close the biggest differance is seen on smaller pages.Functionality is amazing on the BB. I can smoke thru stuff on the iphone because it is good, but its like lightning on the BB.Call Quality is very noticably better on the BB. 3G/4G signal strength is greatly better on the BB. The Iphone lies with bars it show 2 bars of service as soon as you try to use it it will drop to 1 and never connect. Incoming calls on the iphone are extremely unpredictable, whether its data causing it or just plain connection problems it is a freaking hassle to get in touch with someone with the iphone. My wife has one as well as myself , if I want to talk to her I have to call 3-5 times to get hers to ring, same with mine.Standby battery life could possibly be a little better on the iphone but who has a phone to not use it.If you use it there's no doubt the 9900 with 7.1 will put the smack down on the iphone.Screen size on the 9900 doesn't leave me wanting anything especially once text is customized. The camera is damned on both phones, for text shots the iphone wins and on everyday shots the 9900 wins IMHO. Now the 9810 or 9860 is a differant story.APPS, honestly if I wanted to play a game I'LL do it on my freaking 60' flat screen not a phone.But when I go on road trips with my family I can hand my BB or iphone to the kids to shut them up, it really doesn't matter which one. The games play well on both and the selection is big enough on both to get what you want. I don't think the productive portion of society is too concerned about which phone has the most games, seriously. Productivity apps are in great supply on both and what I've come to see is alot of bloated apps lately coming out for the iphone that really are more time consuming than using the web browser. Its like every org out there is racing to an app, and more importantly they really serve no purpose other than publicity not functionality. So needless to say I have more reason to pick BB over iphone. I have had them both now together for 4 months and I use the Iphone mostly only for navigation so I don't tie up my BB while I drive or if I need a flashlight and my BB is in the other room. Looking into a standalone navigator and a streamlight now!!
    Last edited by boss_hog; 02-26-12 at 09:08 AM.
    02-26-12 08:59 AM
    I love the physical keyboard of Bold 9900 because I can type very fast on here compared to my iPod touch. But, in my personal experience, the lack of apps are creating issues for me sometimes. One example would be a stable app to access desktop remotely. I make servers for a hobby and it would be great if I can get the same Remote Desktop app I have on my iPod on my Blackberry.

If not for the keyboard and attractive Email system, I would have gone for an iPhone by now. I hope RIM come up with great solutions for the app issue. Opening up the Android apps on BB 10 would be a great start. But who knows what RIM will do.
    There's already apps for that, always have been, a bit expensive as far as I remember though. I was using one on my 8320 years ago. Later I bought a laptop and never needed it anymore. I now have a netbook(HP Mini with Beats Audio) and I even turned down a playbook because of it(I need a laptop more then I need a tablet)

Edit- I always worried about leaving my computer on all day, fire hazard, it does happen to go on fire.

Edit2- RDM+ http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/438

Long time ago I was using an app from e-office although the memory is a bit vague.
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 02-26-12 at 09:13 AM.
    02-26-12 09:00 AM
    There's already apps for that, always have been, a bit expensive as far as I remember though. I was using one on my 8320 years ago. Later I bought a laptop and never needed it anymore. I now have a netbook(HP Mini with Beats Audio) and I even turned down a playbook because of it(I need a laptop more then I need a tablet)

Edit- I always worried about leaving my computer on all day, fire hazard, it does happen to go on fire.

Edit2- RDM+ Buy RDM+: Remote Desktop for Mobiles - Download RDM+: Remote Desktop for Mobiles - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World

Long time ago I was using an app from e-office although the memory is a bit vague.
    I used RDM+, but the app came up with port error. So I forced the app to take port 3390 and yet failed. I use the exact same settings on my iPod touch and I tried this on my brother's iPhone, (not with RDM+), the remote dp works with no issues.
    02-26-12 09:16 AM
    I have an iPhone 4. Its real good companion for my music, photos and games. When its time for real work like sending mail and making appointments, I will still whip out my trusted BB. Its a shame that RIM is talking a tad too long to get their business in order. I have faith though that they will soon

- Roland Seh
    Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    zeteo likes this.
    02-26-12 09:23 AM
    To clarify on the point said by a couple people that loading 7.1 will put the smack down on an iPhone...um, it's the first thing I did and the 9900 is still in a drawer.

So no - 7.1 isn't some magical unicorn saviour.

Also, and I mentioned this on the first day, I had my iPhone and 9900 side by side and email showed up on the iPhone a good 10 seconds before it would arrive on the 9900. One of those emails had several photos attached that I didn't receive on my 9900 - all I got was a truncated message. Opened and saved the pictures just fine on my iPhone.

It depends on how you use the phone. I want to be able to browse the Internet and not carry a PB to do it. I went away from BB because I was sick of carrying two devices to do what one should do. I have never dropped a call on iPhone, nor has it "had to be called 3-5 times to get it to ring" (you may want to have that looked at since I sell the things and use one daily and haven't seen that before), I have never had to charge it halfway through the day. And I have never had to carry a second device to do something. I picked up the 9900 to be able to better sell and support RIM products but personally I find it still way behind other phones on the market. It's a nice phone, it's heads and tails above previous BBs - but it's still lacking.

FOR ME the fact that I seemingly HAVE TO own a spare battery and the screen size is a deal breaker. If all I do was text or email its a great phone.

I need more.

Sent from my brain using Tapatalk
    Last edited by reeneebob; 02-26-12 at 09:59 AM.
    berry_addict likes this.
    02-26-12 09:44 AM
    reene, to each his own. For me if I have to pick bb or iphone. I choose bb no hessitation. Iphone is as most people said, a media phone replaceable by android,pb, Samsung,windows mobile etc... Now tell me how do I replace secure fast cheap email and bbm with keyboard to have conference and work other than bb?
    02-26-12 09:59 AM
    If you need BBM, there are third party apps that can manage all devices.

Corporations have changed over to iPhone and Android already, so clearly they felt that 'fast, secure email' is not solely available on BB.

I'm the wrong person to ask about BBM though. I loathe it. Always have and that hasn't changed.

You are right, it is personal preference. I don't want to carry two devices anymore. With a BB I feel like I have to. Right now there are four apps that I HAVE to have - tapatalk, getGlue, pintrest, and my dough. Tapatalk is awful on BB to the point it's unuseable. I can't find a freebie chequebook even remotely close to my dough. GetGlue and pintrest doesn't exist. Pintrest is a must have for my sisters wedding group.

02-26-12 10:14 AM
    The iPhone has more apps but when it comes down to it I need to feed my family and playing games on my phone won't pay bills. I dropped my iPhone because it's a toy. When I typed messages I looked like a fool for all the typos. The productivity on my 9900 is far better (different league). The guys I work with are all doing the same (dropping their iPhone for the BB) my PlayBook rocks now w/ 2.0 and I run the world with it. With android apps I have side loaded its a toy too. When BB10 phone come to market I don't know who would want an iPhone! My 6 year old has mine so I bet lots of kids will have hand me down iPhone!
    jamesbondOO7 and jivegirl14 like this.
    02-26-12 10:27 AM
    I don't know the iPhone, but I have many friends who have one. I can only say that communication wise, my BlackBerry friends are much more reliable. Is it the device, or is the person? I cannot conclude scientifically, but I have my idea....
    vbev84 likes this.
    02-26-12 10:42 AM
    The iPhone has more apps but when it comes down to it I need to feed my family and playing games on my phone won't pay bills. I dropped my iPhone because it's a toy. When I typed messages I looked like a fool for all the typos. The productivity on my 9900 is far better (different league). The guys I work with are all doing the same (dropping their iPhone for the BB) my PlayBook rocks now w/ 2.0 and I run the world with it. With android apps I have side loaded its a toy too. When BB10 phone come to market I don't know who would want an iPhone! My 6 year old has mine so I bet lots of kids will have hand me down iPhone!
    This comment right here is the rhetoric I hate. I assure you I (and my husband) feed our family fine on our iPhones. I don't make any more typos than I do on the BB.

It's not a toy. The BB isn't a toy. Neither are toys.

Insisting on calling it one and insinuating people who use iPhones can't feed their families as well as a BB user (which is how your post reads) is blind fanboyism at best and offensive at worst.

I am so bleeping sick and tired of the toy comment. It's an untrue dead horse. Heaven forbid we have an open conversation with the plus and minuses of both platforms. Noooo IPHONEZ ARE TOYS ZOMGELEVENTY111!!1!1!!

Enough.

I have games on both phones. I rarely play them. I guess it means that having games on you PB and BB you are a using a toy. *eyeroll*

Last edited by reeneebob; 02-26-12 at 10:45 AM.
    02-26-12 10:43 AM
    If you need BBM, there are third party apps that can manage all devices.

Corporations have changed over to iPhone and Android already, so clearly they felt that 'fast, secure email' is not solely available on BB.

I'm the wrong person to ask about BBM though. I loathe it. Always have and that hasn't changed.

You are right, it is personal preference. I don't want to carry two devices anymore. With a BB I feel like I have to. Right now there are four apps that I HAVE to have - tapatalk, getGlue, pintrest, and my dough. Tapatalk is awful on BB to the point it's unuseable. I can't find a freebie chequebook even remotely close to my dough. GetGlue and pintrest doesn't exist. Pintrest is a must have for my sisters wedding group.

Sorry, I have to ask, why do you need Tapatalk? What's so important about it? I must say I did buy it but I deleted it straight away, it slowed me down.

I have bookmarks set up in my browser that make forums use a lot faster then one app.
    02-26-12 10:59 AM
    To clarify on the point said by a couple people that loading 7.1 will put the smack down on an iPhone...um, it's the first thing I did and the 9900 is still in a drawer.

So no - 7.1 isn't some magical unicorn saviour.

Also, and I mentioned this on the first day, I had my iPhone and 9900 side by side and email showed up on the iPhone a good 10 seconds before it would arrive on the 9900. One of those emails had several photos attached that I didn't receive on my 9900 - all I got was a truncated message. Opened and saved the pictures just fine on my iPhone.

It depends on how you use the phone. I want to be able to browse the Internet and not carry a PB to do it. I went away from BB because I was sick of carrying two devices to do what one should do. I have never dropped a call on iPhone, nor has it "had to be called 3-5 times to get it to ring" (you may want to have that looked at since I sell the things and use one daily and haven't seen that before), I have never had to charge it halfway through the day. And I have never had to carry a second device to do something. I picked up the 9900 to be able to better sell and support RIM products but personally I find it still way behind other phones on the market. It's a nice phone, it's heads and tails above previous BBs - but it's still lacking.

FOR ME the fact that I seemingly HAVE TO own a spare battery and the screen size is a deal breaker. If all I do was text or email its a great phone.

I need more.

Not just any 7.1, the latest leak is the big improvement. See attached photo, 17 hours off the charger with quite a lot of use.
    02-26-12 11:07 AM
    I used RDM+, but the app came up with port error. So I forced the app to take port 3390 and yet failed. I use the exact same settings on my iPod touch and I tried this on my brother's iPhone, (not with RDM+), the remote dp works with no issues.
    the rdm+ works exelent for me on bb9900, i bought a license a month ago and im really happy with it, a little expensive but works great, i used to conect with 5 computers on my work and do it some things on them, file transfer open some files remotly, etc and all works fantastic....
    02-26-12 11:16 AM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD