I spend a lot of time hiking. I'm looking for an app that will be able to tell me how far I've hiked and what my elevation is.

I had one for my old 9550. But that app is not compatible with my 9930. If I remember correctly, it was called GPS Tool.

Edit:
    Wrong forum, sorry. Can a Mod move this to App forum? Thanks!

Feeding my CrackBerry addiction with Tapatalk
    05-07-12 07:52 PM
    I've been using GPSLogger for years on various Blackberries. It's great and has a lot of features. It's integrated with BB Maps and BBM (though I don't use that feature).

Development is active and bug fixes come quickly. Great app.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    05-07-12 08:20 PM
    Thanks! I installed GPSLogger and I also found GPS Tool Plus. Testing both. I may have to stick with GPSLogger though if it tracks my distance covered correctly.

05-07-12 09:06 PM
    Check out Trimble outdoors in app world. I haven't used it but it seems to fit your requirements. I use a different app connected to the Trimble services.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    05-07-12 11:03 PM
    Thanks! I installed GPSLogger and I also found GPS Tool Plus. Testing both. I may have to stick with GPSLogger though if it tracks my distance covered correctly.

My wife has a GPS watch, and I tend to run the same routes often. I've npticed that over time, GPSLogger's distance reading has varied somewhat - I'd say up to 5%, but this varies depending on the type of route. The GPS watch claims accuracy to within 2%. I don't know if the 9930 accuracy drifts due to GPSLogger algorithm changes, or if the GPS chip in the phone is a little less accurate.

It's accurate enough for me though. Note that you can change the sampling frequency in the options, and this undoubtedly will affect the accuracy on a winding hiking route.
    05-08-12 09:49 AM
    My wife has a GPS watch, and I tend to run the same routes often. I've npticed that over time, GPSLogger's distance reading has varied somewhat - I'd say up to 5%, but this varies depending on the type of route. The GPS watch claims accuracy to within 2%. I don't know if the 9930 accuracy drifts due to GPSLogger algorithm changes, or if the GPS chip in the phone is a little less accurate.

It's accurate enough for me though. Note that you can change the sampling frequency in the options, and this undoubtedly will affect the accuracy on a winding hiking route.
    In the future I may get a GPS watch, but for now this will do. Accuracy is always a concern. But I can deal with it being off a little bit. I just mainly want a good idea on how far. I look at trail maps that shows distances between points, but then trail markers showing a way different distance. On one trail I went on, the maps said roughly 5 miles. But the trail markers read as 2.5 miles.

I tested GPS Logger this morning driving to work and the mileage was pretty much dead on. My main concern right now it battery life. I really only need to log my hike one-way. I may in turn now get a spare battery or 2. I do turn my network off so that my device isn't always searching.
    05-08-12 10:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD