I have been considering coming back to BB when AT&T drops (IF they ever drop) the 9900 to their lineup from my current iPhone 4...

But, I went to my local Verizon store to check out the new 9930...and after handling it, I am really disappointed at least at this juncture. The display model they had was fully functional, but felt super light (almost too light) and almost too thin for my personal taste. Even with the stainless steel bezel band, the phone felt toy like and hollow compared to the glass/steel construction of my iPhone...and not even as solid as the 9700's & 9780's I've used, much less the 9000 I used and loved.

I never opened the battery cover to see if it had a battery or not...but felt tons lighter than I imagined it would. I really like a phone with some solidity and heft to it, and I guess I was a little put off by the 9930's feathery feel.

Now I read that there are problems with the track pad and other areas...

Is anyone else disappointed in the build/construction of the 9900/9930 but me?
    08-26-11 06:31 PM
    How hard is it to get a case that makes it heavier if you really demand that...
    08-26-11 06:33 PM
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but this is a first.. A phone that feels too light.. Isn't that a plus.
    08-26-11 06:36 PM
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but this is a first.. A phone that feels too light.. Isn't that a plus.
    Totally disagree.

I was actually scared I was going to break the phone because it was so light and thin. I think it has alot to do with how wide the device is in comparison to my now retired Iphone4. But, like papped said I'm gonna try using a case to give it abit more weight. I can't tell the phone is in my pockey most of the time.

This doesn't mean I'm disappointed with the device just surprised. So far I'm really liking it. Works much better for me than my ipod tou. . . oh right Iphone ever did.
    08-26-11 06:43 PM
    Totally disagree.

I was actually scared I was going to break the phone because it was so light and thin. I think it has alot to do with how wide the device is in comparison to my now retired Iphone4. But, like papped said I'm gonna try using a case to give it abit more weight. I can't tell the phone is in my pockey most of the time.

This doesn't mean I'm disappointed with the device just surprised. So far I'm really liking it. Works much better for me than my ipod tou. . . oh right Iphone ever did.
    Mustang? Just guessing...LoL

Only case to give it some oomph, is the OtterBox Defender. That will add bulk to your phone.

My 9900 feels almost as heavy as my crappy 8520 (Just an FYI)
    08-26-11 06:54 PM
    I have been considering coming back to BB when AT&T drops (IF they ever drop) the 9900 to their lineup from my current iPhone 4...

But, I went to my local Verizon store to check out the new 9930...and after handling it, I am really disappointed at least at this juncture. The display model they had was fully functional, but felt super light (almost too light) and almost too thin for my personal taste. Even with the stainless steel bezel band, the phone felt toy like and hollow compared to the glass/steel construction of my iPhone...and not even as solid as the 9700's & 9780's I've used, much less the 9000 I used and loved.

I never opened the battery cover to see if it had a battery or not...but felt tons lighter than I imagined it would. I really like a phone with some solidity and heft to it, and I guess I was a little put off by the 9930's feathery feel.

Now I read that there are problems with the track pad and other areas...

Is anyone else disappointed in the build/construction of the 9900/9930 but me?
    Your not the only one, I felt the same when I checked on it. Wondering tho, you said it was fully functional, doesn't that indicate a battery installed? LOL!
    08-26-11 06:55 PM
    Phone feels more solid then my 9700 so ionno what your on about.

thewird
    08-26-11 07:11 PM
    Wow this device has a awesome feel IMO. The typing great on it and the light weight is just perfect for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-11 07:24 PM
    Yep, things would certainly be pretty boring if we all used the same device, or had the same tastes.
    08-26-11 07:30 PM
    I'm surprised at the op's statement about the phone. Even though I'm a very happy Android user,I have to say the 9900 is one the best phones in terms of form factor/weight and feel in the hand.Just feels amazing to hold and feels extremely solid.

08-26-11 07:42 PM
    I tried the Droid 3 for about a month and it felt like a lead brick. Gorilla Glass is nice but it adds WAY too much weight to a device. The 9930 is light solid device. Best BB made thus far and I've had them all going back to when they were email only devices
    08-26-11 08:21 PM
    I tried the Droid 3 for about a month and it felt like a lead brick. Gorilla Glass is nice but it adds WAY too much weight to a device. The 9930 is light solid device. Best BB made thus far and I've had them all going back to when they were email only devices
    I don't think its the gorilla glass that adds weight. The SGS II has gorilla glass and is one of the lightest phones out there with a 4.3" screen. I could be wrong.

08-26-11 08:30 PM
    sgs2 got 4.3" screen at 117gr or so. Very light. Plastic is just cheap, nothing else.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    08-26-11 08:42 PM
    the phone felt toy like and hollow compared to the glass/steel construction of my iPhone...and not even as solid as the 9700's & 9780's I've used
    Anyone else spot this? Last I checked, the glass/steel of the iphone have NOT been a winning combination, lol
    08-26-11 08:58 PM
    Mustang? Just guessing...LoL

Only case to give it some oomph, is the OtterBox Defender. That will add bulk to your phone.

My 9900 feels almost as heavy as my crappy 8520 (Just an FYI)
    Ssshh! Don't broadcast possible answers. Lol.

I was looking at the communter case. I never liked having plastic on plastic cases. They always scratch the heck out of my device. Silcone then plastic should protect it without any un seen scratches.

I came from an iphone 4. So I guess those things are just heavy. Though it makes sense since it was mostly glass.

MyMission likes this.
    08-26-11 09:51 PM
    Anyone else spot this? Last I checked, the glass/steel of the iphone have NOT been a winning combination, lol
    Unless you live in a world of 3" cotton
    08-27-11 01:39 AM
    I4 being the all-time best-selling smartphone would indicate otherwise.

At any rate, going from a phone that is all glass and steel to a phone that is primarily plastic is gonna give you that cheap toy feeling.
    08-27-11 01:52 AM
    Wow this device has a awesome feel IMO. The typing great on it and the light weight is just perfect for me.

Ditto.

I.am coming from a Dell Venue Pro, the heaviest smartphone.in the market.
    08-27-11 08:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD