Oh yeah, and i forgot to mention, I said it on the other forum when this was up for debate and another thing was that the majority of people that use my phone, first thing they do is go to touch the icons on the home screen... This phone has been meant to be touch screen and I'm not just talking about teenagers.. I'm even talking about my mom and grandparents going to touch the screen to select ****.. haha
    05-02-11 08:25 PM
    You guys are taking this way too far lol it was just a simple question I'm not trying to start a debate :P
    I'm just saying there should be the option to enable/disable.
    They dont need to hide it deep into the settings it could even be a switch on the side. And for the people talking about the apps.. if the app needs touch screen just turn it on... then you wont get an error. Simple.
    ritesh likes this.
    05-02-11 11:45 PM
    You guys are taking this way too far lol it was just a simple question I'm not trying to start a debate :P
    They dont need to hide it deep into the settings it could even be a switch on the side. And for the people talking about the apps.. if the app needs touch screen just turn it on... then you wont get an error. Simple.
    I agree with you. I too would love to have this feature, reason being, I don't use any covers for my phone and hold it in my hand or my shirt pocket.
    I would wait for a non touch screen bold,since as someone mentioned, a touch screen takes away the ability to use the phone with one hand for sure.
    05-03-11 02:28 AM
    Exactly
    Why would someone wanna turn it off?
    IF they dont like it then let them not use it
    Or better still dont buy it
    a single person or tens of people wouldnt affect rim's profit they dont care
    thats their loss not rim

Looks like you have newer owned a business or studied about business, to make such a statement.1 customer is good enough to decide whether RIM stays on top or nosedives.
    05-03-11 02:36 AM
    It's not quite as simple to everyone though.. How many people wonder why their wifi doesn't work on their laptop because a switch was toggled they didn't know existed? You'd be surprised. Not everyone uses smartphones with the same expertise.

It's not like a small switch on the side of the phone is going to be labeled in a foolproof way that shows that it is for disabling the touchscreen either...

And if you don't think people will rate apps zero stars in Appworld because they "don't work" when really they just had the touchscreen disabled, they certainly will. I see plenty zero star ratings for the stupidest things imaginable...
    05-03-11 03:34 AM
    I agree with you. I too would love to have this feature, reason being, I don't use any covers for my phone and hold it in my hand or my shirt pocket.
    I would wait for a non touch screen bold,since as someone mentioned, a touch screen takes away the ability to use the phone with one hand for sure.
    Just lock it when it's in your pocket. I don't understand how the touch screen ruins the ability for one handed use if there is a track pad. That is the beauty of it. You can literally use it however you want according to preference and by simply ignoring the option you don't want at the time.

I guess I don't understand why the touch screen would be a bad thing if the phone was sitting in one hand being navigated via trackpad. Especially if Torch users don't already have a problem doing so with accidentally hitting the screen while using the trackpad.

And secondly, phones generally need to be locked when in transit whether they have a touch screen or not. So that doesn't seem to be the problem, and if it is a problem, either way you have to push buttons to fix it; whether that button turns off the touch screen or just locks the phone, it's the same amount of effort.

So in what situation is the touch screen a limiting feature that needs to be turned off? P.S. I'm not attacking you. I just chose to quote your post in probing an issue I've never been able to understand.
    05-03-11 03:55 AM
    It's not quite as simple to everyone though.. How many people wonder why their wifi doesn't work on their laptop because a switch was toggled they didn't know existed? You'd be surprised. Not everyone uses smartphones with the same expertise.

It's not like a small switch on the side of the phone is going to be labeled in a foolproof way that shows that it is for disabling the touchscreen either...

And if you don't think people will rate apps zero stars in Appworld because they "don't work" when really they just had the touchscreen disabled, they certainly will. I see plenty zero star ratings for the stupidest things imaginable...

I see what your saying but if your too stupid to realize theres a switch on the side of your smartphone then I'm sorry you shouldn't own one.
    05-03-11 01:11 PM
    GOOD GRIEF, GOOD GRIEF, GOOD GRIEF!!!

"Why would you want to disable the touch screen, stupid?"

BECAUSE EVERY DANG TIME -- I MEAN EVERY SINGLE TIME, DOZENS OF TIMES A DAY, EVERY SINGLE DAY, SOMETHING LAUNCHES. SOMETHING LAUNCHES. SOMETHING LAUNCHES!!!!

I spend TEN THOUSAND TIMES more time TURNING THE DANG THINGS THAT LAUNCH INADVERTENTLY OFF, then I do ACTUALLY USING THE DANG THING!!!

"No, you won't be able to disable the touchscreen."

Well, I'm about ready to take the USE A HAMMER ON THE DANG THING approach, I'm so dang tired of cancelling a hundred things that pop up all day long.

THAT IS WHY I WANT TO DISABLE THE DANG TOUCH SCREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have turned everything to the least sensitivity possible, but it STILL pops up things at the slightest inadvertent touch. I can't put the thing into the cradle without popping something up.

AND LET ME TELL YOU, THE UTTERLY USELESS "LOCK" BUTTON IS WORTHLESS!!! The slightest touch unlocks that, too. Yes, I finally did resort to a third-party locking application, so at least the thing doesn't go nutcase on me when I put it in my pocket.

BUT SHEESH!!!!! I'm about ready to go back to my old 9700, scratched screen or not.

PLEASE, BLACKBERRY (AND AT&T), GIVE ME A PREMIUM BLACKBERRY WITHOUT THIS TOUCHSCREEN MADNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rant over. Anyone want to make a pile of money? Just write an app that disables the touchscreen. PILES OF MONEY.
    Chrisd534 and Sashko like this.
    05-03-11 10:06 PM
    GOOD GRIEF, GOOD GRIEF, GOOD GRIEF!!!

"Why would you want to disable the touch screen, stupid?"

BECAUSE EVERY DANG TIME -- I MEAN EVERY SINGLE TIME, DOZENS OF TIMES A DAY, EVERY SINGLE DAY, SOMETHING LAUNCHES. SOMETHING LAUNCHES. SOMETHING LAUNCHES!!!!

I spend TEN THOUSAND TIMES more time TURNING THE DANG THINGS THAT LAUNCH INADVERTENTLY OFF, then I do ACTUALLY USING THE DANG THING!!!

"No, you won't be able to disable the touchscreen."

Well, I'm about ready to take the USE A HAMMER ON THE DANG THING approach, I'm so dang tired of cancelling a hundred things that pop up all day long.

THAT IS WHY I WANT TO DISABLE THE DANG TOUCH SCREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have turned everything to the least sensitivity possible, but it STILL pops up things at the slightest inadvertent touch. I can't put the thing into the cradle without popping something up.

AND LET ME TELL YOU, THE UTTERLY USELESS "LOCK" BUTTON IS WORTHLESS!!! The slightest touch unlocks that, too. Yes, I finally did resort to a third-party locking application, so at least the thing doesn't go nutcase on me when I put it in my pocket.

BUT SHEESH!!!!! I'm about ready to go back to my old 9700, scratched screen or not.

PLEASE, BLACKBERRY (AND AT&T), GIVE ME A PREMIUM BLACKBERRY WITHOUT THIS TOUCHSCREEN MADNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rant over. Anyone want to make a pile of money? Just write an app that disables the touchscreen. PILES OF MONEY.

Exactly thats why I'd like to know if they would be smart enough to add it in? I hate closing apps I open by accident!
    05-03-11 11:28 PM
    No offense, but you must not have looked hard enough because it has been discussed many times in many threats, they were just not always labeled "disable touch screen" etc. But in those threads it turned into a cut throat argument.. There are a TON of reasons as to why the would not even give the option that you would probably never realize unless thought about. I wish a remembered them all, but this was a while ago. A few reasons were for instance:

1) Programs may be developed for the phone and it may result in a very big error if the touchscreen is turned off and it is required or something. It puts more of a pain for the developers as a simple code error might crash your phone or something. IDK there are many reasons with this aspect and they were brought up before, i dont remember them all.

2) RIM may receive a bunch of refurbished devices/big network employees would constantly be hassled about the little old lady whose phone touchscreen doesn't work so they mail it in to get refurbished etc. and employees being hassled about peoples phones not working but turns out they accidentally just hit that disable option or something. (obviously that is not a very good reason, but a possibility, and there are of course many better reasons.)

You really have to go find that thread that everyone talked about it, because people had some EXTREMELY good points that you wouldn't think of in the slightest.. If you find the thread you might reconsider your thoughts. It seems to cause more of a pain then a benefit to those few people who actually want a phone that DOESN'T have a touchscreen. RIM's opinion has always been, we make a bunch of phones.. buy what you are interested in, there are a ton of other ones without touchscreens (although kinda not anymore) but still! haha idk
    Articulated very well

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-11 11:31 PM
    Old thread I know but I have to say....

I had a 9000 and would call and text with one hand, after I was done I could slide it in my pocket with one hand and NOT have to worry about finding the lock button each time. Yes clicking a button is easy, but once you are use to just dropping in you pocket not even thinking about it, it sucks having to stop and lock it first.

I now have the 9800 and that really is the biggest complaint, next is having to constantly slide it open to respond to email and texts.

I always wanted a 9000 size phone just updated specs but I also really don't care for the touchscreen part. I know there times I would love using the touch screen but the whole just dropping it in my pocket far outweigh those.
    07-13-11 11:06 PM
    Disabling the touchscreen doesn't seem like it would be an issue for apps. On ALL the new touchscreen devices, there's a trackpad as well- and don't forget about the curve which will have no touchscreen at all! These are all OS 7 devices with similar hardware and so I don't see how turning the 9900 into a more traditional BlackBerry would pose a problem.
    07-15-11 06:54 AM

I am one of the people who in earlier threads had said I would like an 'off' switch for the touchscreen, though I doubt we would get one.

But the weight of argument, like the above quote, has me now convinced that this 'ability' could cause more harm than good.

And while hating touch-screens, I have to remember that I owned and enjoyed my Treo Pro enormously with the ability to just tap a link/app without needing to scroll around the screen to find it.

Also my fear of tapping something accidentally while fishing the phone out of my pocket can be countered by the normal screen-lock that all phones have nowadays.

So I guess I'll deal with it (and perhaps grow to love it!).
    07-15-11 07:42 AM
    I do not see a spot in the simulator that would suggest a way to disable the screen.
    07-15-11 10:30 AM
    just my two cents:
    Anyone know the effect on stamina an option to turn off the touch screen would have?
    For me, that'd be the ultimate benefit of turning this off!
    07-22-11 06:45 AM
    There is no menu selection to turn off the touch screen. But after using this 9900 I can see no reason to have this feature.

I, too, did not think I would use the touch screen feature but you start slowly and soon find out that the combination of keyboard and touch screen work perfectly and make the device even more efficient in use.
    s.ben likes this.
    07-22-11 08:07 AM
    Someone who wants to make a quick buck.. Create an APP the locks the screen, better yet, password locks every.. 3 seconds or so. Sure the phone might be a pain in the *** to use, but when you go to put the damn thing in your pocket, you know you are golden >.>

I'm so sick of this argument of disabling the screen.. buy a screen protector that disables touchscreens or something... If the touch is that annoying to you then you might aswell develop a time machine because blackberry is one of the LAST phones to implement a touch screen.. They aren't going to go back and create a phone without a touch screen to make .000001% of their consumers happy. RIM would be outright stupid to do that. My previous post points out a few reasons that people might not think of when they want a "Disable touchscreen option"

No offense, but you must not have looked hard enough because it has been discussed many times in many threats, they were just not always labeled "disable touch screen" etc. But in those threads it turned into a cut throat argument.. There are a TON of reasons as to why the would not even give the option that you would probably never realize unless thought about. I wish a remembered them all, but this was a while ago. A few reasons were for instance:

1) Programs may be developed for the phone and it may result in a very big error if the touchscreen is turned off and it is required or something. It puts more of a pain for the developers as a simple code error might crash your phone or something. IDK there are many reasons with this aspect and they were brought up before, i dont remember them all.

2) RIM may receive a bunch of refurbished devices/big network employees would constantly be hassled about the little old lady whose phone touchscreen doesn't work so they mail it in to get refurbished etc. and employees being hassled about peoples phones not working but turns out they accidentally just hit that disable option or something. (obviously that is not a very good reason, but a possibility, and there are of course many better reasons.)

You really have to go find that thread that everyone talked about it, because people had some EXTREMELY good points that you wouldn't think of in the slightest.. If you find the thread you might reconsider your thoughts. It seems to cause more of a pain then a benefit to those few people who actually want a phone that DOESN'T have a touchscreen. RIM's opinion has always been, we make a bunch of phones.. buy what you are interested in, there are a ton of other ones without touchscreens (although kinda not anymore) but still! haha idk
    This thread should just be closed
    07-22-11 09:07 AM
    I think it's funny, remember when people moaned & complained about rim not having a touch screen? They work hard to develop one, and now you wanna turn it off? I actually just switched to android, til rim gets a decent touchscreen device available for Tmobile, and I have the mytouch 4g which has a touchscreen and a trackpad. I rarely use the trackpad. But I think rim is going to have options for people who don't want touchscreen devices.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
    07-22-11 09:55 AM
    Hi CrackBerry Nation!

I looked around the threads to see if this has been asked before and yet to find anything so I will be the first! Do you think there will be a button on the side or a setting in the device that will let you disable the touch screen? The trackpad looks a little to close to the screen and I have a feeling you will be pushing random things while scrolling.

Let me know what you think!
    highly doubt you would be able to disable it because touchscreen isnt just to get to clicking to apps faster dont forget about the pinch to zoom
    07-23-11 06:08 AM
    As I have said in the past, RIM will make 95% very happy with the 9900. The rest will never be happy.

This is the way it has always been.
    2001bmw330xi likes this.
    07-23-11 06:11 AM
    I would love to disable the touch screen as blackberry never did a good job on touch.
    i wan tto disbale it at least until the fix the lots of issues like the biggest one that keeps scrolling up to heaven sometimes
    10-04-11 04:00 PM
    I join this thread in the hope that someone from RIM is listening. I LOVED my BB 9650, and when it came time to upgrade, I looked VERY closely at the 9900. But the first thing I noticed is that when I was using the scroll pad (that I was already VERY comfortable with) every time I scrolled "up" I inadvertently hit the touch screen, and relocated the cursor. NOT GOOD. Makes this a clumsy device, like the Android and Iphone. Maybe the best thing about a BB is how quickly and accurately you can perform operations, without having to stare at the screen to ensure you are selecting the right item, or go back when you've hit the wrong one. If RIM is smart, they will find a way allow a user to disable the touch screen, preferably by toggling on/off with a hardware button or at least something on the screen, in the same fashion that one might toggle the bluetooth radio on/off, or the touchpad on a laptop. I toggle my laptop touchpad off ALL time (like when I am using a mouse, or typing a long document); it would be perfect for me if I could keep the touchscreen off until I needed it (like in viewing a document, or a mapping feature.) Some in this thread have expressed that they can't imagine why one would want this function; in my case, it caused me NOT to buy the device. There are still some big things about the BB that are superior to any other phone out there, and instead of trying to compete with Android/Iphone on what they are good at, RIM should continue to make their name based on being the best business phone out there. Fast, accurate, satisfying functionality. NOT clumsy. Listen up, RIM. There are still a lot of adults that don't care about streaming youtube videos, or playing games on a big handheld screen. We still need a phone that makes our business lives easier, so we can get back to our real lives. We don't want to be playing with our phones all day.

I ended up "taking the leap" and getting a Samsung Galaxy SII. No doubt it is a cool device, but I now realize that with all it's power, it isn't as good for business as my old BB9650. I spend too much time "two handing" it, going through menus, etc... I think about going back to a BB everyday. Maybe if someone writes a "toggle touchscreen on/off app" I'll do it. In fact, I surely would.
    01-01-12 05:56 AM
    Sorry if this has been mentioned, but I am still not really believing that disabling the 99xx touchscreen is something that would generate the amount of responses I am seeing in this thread.

Are there any other touchscreen devices (other than RIM) that you can disable the screen? Just trying to understand why people want their screen disabled, but still want a phone with a touchscreen.
    01-01-12 06:20 AM
    Why are so many people into disabling touch screen.
    The touchscreen comes in very handy to me.
    01-01-12 08:15 AM
    @ emirozmen and oniberry:

One of the things I liked most about my BOLD was how easy it was to fly through the menus using the trackpad. No need to keep looking back at my phone to reposition my big thumb, or worry about touching the wrong icon. Having to visually orient my thumb to the spot on the screen I want to select slows the process down considerably. I could perform my most crucial operations with a couple of subtle thumb movements, often without barely looking at the phone. From a usability viewpoint, the trackpad is far superior than the touchscreen on that issue. Touchscreen is great for pinch-n-zoom and other in-application functions, but trackpad is a better "chooser," especially on the fly, or for often repeated actions (as is the case with serious business users.) On the 9900, when you scroll "up", you invariably hit the touchscreen, which derails your attempt to select whatever you were hoping to select. This doesn't happen with the non-touch screen models, and makes for a perfect scrolling / choosing experience.

I don't know why making a touchscreen toggle on/off would be so difficult to create - wouldn't it be similiar to any screen lock? Maybe not everyone "gets" why this is important to me and others; I assume this is why there are full touchscreen users, slider users, no touchscreen users... but as I mentioned before, it is important enough that it caused me to pass on getting the BB9900. Without the touchscreen toggle, it becomes just another clumsy touchscreen device to me, albeit with an awesome front-of-device hardware keyboard.

RIM! Listen up! Blackberry is still an awesome device! Don't give up on making it better, and don't screw up by making it too much like the Iphone or Android. I've had both, and they aren't the be-all-end-all of cell phones.
    01-02-12 08:33 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD