Hi CrackBerry Nation!

I looked around the threads to see if this has been asked before and yet to find anything so I will be the first! Do you think there will be a button on the side or a setting in the device that will let you disable the touch screen? The trackpad looks a little to close to the screen and I have a feeling you will be pushing random things while scrolling.

Let me know what you think!
    JUSTQUAN2 and Dannyd534 like this.
    05-02-11 03:54 PM
    there will more than likely be a function to turn it off, but i thought to myself why does it have a track pad? im on the opposite side of the fence
    05-02-11 03:57 PM
    A lot of phones have a trackpad and touch screen. Just for ease of use and preference I guess. Sometimes with a smaller screen a trackpad might help.
    05-02-11 03:58 PM
    I very much doubt the touch screen can be disabled, in fact I'd put money on that.

If you watch any of the videos, the guys are scrolling with the screen, and only using the trackpad for selecting stuff in menus.
    05-02-11 04:01 PM
    I honestly doubt the touchscreen will be able to be disabled.
    05-02-11 04:05 PM
    To be honest I probably wont use the touch screen that much because I'm so used to the ball. Maybe it will grow on me who knows? But I think it would be a good idea for them to add a enable/disable feature.
    Dannyd534 and youngspider like this.
    05-02-11 04:06 PM
    I can imagine it being very helpful when browsing for pinch to zoom.
    05-02-11 04:08 PM
    I can imagine it being very helpful when browsing for pinch to zoom.
    It would but I'm just saying I think they should include a disable feature. I for one hold my phone in my hand a lot even while just walking around so my fingers touch my screen a lot. If they didn't add this feature that would be a problem for me no?
    05-02-11 04:38 PM
    No offense, but you must not have looked hard enough because it has been discussed many times in many threats, they were just not always labeled "disable touch screen" etc. But in those threads it turned into a cut throat argument.. There are a TON of reasons as to why the would not even give the option that you would probably never realize unless thought about. I wish a remembered them all, but this was a while ago. A few reasons were for instance:

1) Programs may be developed for the phone and it may result in a very big error if the touchscreen is turned off and it is required or something. It puts more of a pain for the developers as a simple code error might crash your phone or something. IDK there are many reasons with this aspect and they were brought up before, i dont remember them all.

2) RIM may receive a bunch of refurbished devices/big network employees would constantly be hassled about the little old lady whose phone touchscreen doesn't work so they mail it in to get refurbished etc. and employees being hassled about peoples phones not working but turns out they accidentally just hit that disable option or something. (obviously that is not a very good reason, but a possibility, and there are of course many better reasons.)

You really have to go find that thread that everyone talked about it, because people had some EXTREMELY good points that you wouldn't think of in the slightest.. If you find the thread you might reconsider your thoughts. It seems to cause more of a pain then a benefit to those few people who actually want a phone that DOESN'T have a touchscreen. RIM's opinion has always been, we make a bunch of phones.. buy what you are interested in, there are a ton of other ones without touchscreens (although kinda not anymore) but still! haha idk
    05-02-11 04:39 PM
    A lot of phones have a trackpad and touch screen. Just for ease of use and preference I guess. Sometimes with a smaller screen a trackpad might help.
    I'm not a fan of touchscreens but if I had one, I would want one with a trackpad or trackball. I've played with a few touchscreens and I've noticed that trying to point your finger on some links and clicking them can be cumbersome.
    05-02-11 04:41 PM
    I'm a big believer that for any feature, there should be the ability to turn it off.

And while I'm very excited about the 9900, I will probably be turning off the touchscreen, if possible.

Part of the beauty of the Blackberry is the ease of using it with one hand. Once you're relying on a touchscreen, that's gone.

Also, on a relatively small touchscreen, it can be hard to touch the right spot, and when I took a trial run with the Torch, I found that it kept doing things I didn't want it to do because of inadvertent touches on the screen. So I'll give the touchscreen on the 9900 a shot, but I'm on the side of wanting to be able to turn off the touchscreen when I don't want to use it.
    05-02-11 04:49 PM
    I'd like to turn off the touch screen as well if that's possible (IF I'm going to get this device that's not running QNX!).
    05-02-11 04:54 PM
    the new os7 will utilize the size of the screen and not make it that you need pointy fingers to use it!

Ive not had a phone with buttons in a very long time, so the adjustment will be the other way around for me. getting used to the blackberry keyboard again will be tricky at first.

i think its greatest use will be web surfing, i never likes having a virtual mouse controlled by a scroll ball on my last blackberry, found it to clumsy.
    05-02-11 04:55 PM
    It would but I'm just saying I think they should include a disable feature. I for one hold my phone in my hand a lot even while just walking around so my fingers touch my screen a lot. If they didn't add this feature that would be a problem for me no?
    No. You simply lock your screen/keyboard when placing it in pockets, carrying it around or whatever. This doesn't just apply to touchscreen devices.

If you don't want to use touch it will maybe simply just be a matter of not using it and using the trackpad instead. So there is choice, use touch as much or as little as you like or not at all. I imagine most will use some touch simply because it is there and over time may actually prefer it for some things.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-02-11 05:04 PM
    I've posted this before, but there are more reasons as to why this will not happen than the reverse...

Every single app would have to be designed to support not using the touchscreen at all, otherwise those with Bold Touch with touchscreen disabled = non working app. You just made development a lot more difficult...

Support calls/returns from people who accidentally disabled their touchscreen or got their phone that way, wondering why their touchscreen isn't working.

Every UI element has to support both touchscreen and no touchscreen, for everything... Apps that utilize touchscreen apis, yet your touchscreen is disabled... The phone obviously supports it and the apis are there.
    05-02-11 05:12 PM
    TBH, I don't know why anybody would want to turn it off

one of the main features of the device, and for quickly selecting applications, or pinch to zoom whilst browsing... extremely useful. Even if you only use it for those, it's great for that!
    05-02-11 05:23 PM
    No it cant be disabled just like the Torch

If you dont like it then DONT use it simple
    05-02-11 05:42 PM
    TBH, I don't know why anybody would want to turn it off

one of the main features of the device, and for quickly selecting applications, or pinch to zoom whilst browsing... extremely useful. Even if you only use it for those, it's great for that!
    Exactly
    Why would someone wanna turn it off?
    IF they dont like it then let them not use it
    Or better still dont buy it
    a single person or tens of people wouldnt affect rim's profit they dont care
    thats their loss not rim

People just like to rant about if i may say
    05-02-11 05:52 PM
    Well, if you're that adamant about disabling it, there's several options for you:

- Open up the phone, and disconnect the ribbon cable connecting the digitizer to the main circuit board
    - Open up the phone and remove the digitizer all-together, leaving your LCD vulnerable to scratches, dust and bacterial infection
    - Take a hammer and lightly smash the crap out of the digitizer
    - Or just don't use it
    05-02-11 05:57 PM
    Maybe if you can find a screen protector that stops your finger from conducting the screen...
    05-02-11 06:07 PM
    Or if you want to disable it carry your phone in your hand and go jump off a bridge
    05-02-11 06:09 PM
    i have the torch and yes while it took getting used to, the touch screen; it is a nice option to have. you do get used to it and now that i have i enjoy it.

there is no way, zero chance there will be an option to disable touch screen, none.

try it for a couple days if you really like the phone once its released and if you can't get passed it then return it.

i love that the best of my torch, touch screen, pad or keyboard as an option. i think that's great and i do at different times use all three options.

the only reason i am really considering one of these newer bb's is because there are more case accessorries for the bar models, not so for my slider which i do not like.
    05-02-11 06:30 PM
    Selecting items on the screen is far better with a touchscreen than it is scrolling to the exact position with the trackpad.
    05-02-11 06:35 PM
    I have a Torch now and have no issues with the pad/screen or hitting it without meaning too. It's really not an issue. I think alot of you will find that the touchscreen is just great and can also be used with one hand as I do it all the time. Before long you will be both scrolling with the pad and sometimes switching to the screen and it will all feel natural. Mostly the screen is best but there are times the pad is more useful. I was updating a friends the other day and kept wanting to touch the screen to scroll and continue lol...
    Last edited by tumblingdice03; 05-02-11 at 06:41 PM.
    05-02-11 06:39 PM
    I've posted this before, but there are more reasons as to why this will not happen than the reverse...

Every single app would have to be designed to support not using the touchscreen at all, otherwise those with Bold Touch with touchscreen disabled = non working app. You just made development a lot more difficult...

Support calls/returns from people who accidentally disabled their touchscreen or got their phone that way, wondering why their touchscreen isn't working.

Every UI element has to support both touchscreen and no touchscreen, for everything... Apps that utilize touchscreen apis, yet your touchscreen is disabled... The phone obviously supports it and the apis are there.
    Yeah, that was what I was referring to, there were a few other good reasons on the forum too

Maybe if you can find a screen protector that stops your finger from conducting the screen...
    I like this idea bro <3 Finally make those people stop complaining when they release this phone without the option [:
    Last edited by flip4life4751; 05-02-11 at 08:29 PM.
    05-02-11 08:18 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD