It seems that most VZW customer service reps are either pro-Droid, anti-BlackBerry, or both. But a VZW rep at the store in Midvale, Utah stopped me today from leaving BlackBerry.

My purpose in going to Verizon today was seriously compare Droid and iPhones. The rep looked at my account and noticed I've been a BlackBerry user for years and asked if I was aware of the new BlackBerry Bold. I told her I was but only through what I'd read online. She suggested I wait until the new Bold arrives in the store so I can see it for myself because "it is a very good phone." She is going to call me when it shows up in the store.

Not the usual "Droid is best" experience many have at their local Verizon store.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-11 04:44 PM
    I agree with you...I've had them try to push me to Driod's too. I have to always remind them I'm a BB kinda guy. I STILL don't get the negative sentiment towards RIMM and BB devices. I'm just very happy with what I have.
    08-20-11 04:47 PM
    Is your wallet still in your back pocket?

08-20-11 05:02 PM
    I get the why not try droid everytime I'm at a VZ store. I understand their sentiment, they have many more choices of android and they do sell a ton more. Why push a product that is not up to date with technology?
    08-20-11 05:04 PM
    It seems that most VZW customer service reps are either pro-Droid, anti-BlackBerry, or both. But a VZW rep at the store in Midvale, Utah stopped me today from leaving BlackBerry.

My purpose in going to Verizon today was seriously compare Droid and iPhones. The rep looked at my account and noticed I've been a BlackBerry user for years and asked if I was aware of the new BlackBerry Bold. I told her I was but only through what I'd read online. She suggested I wait until the new Bold arrives in the store so I can see it for myself because "it is a very good phone." She is going to call me when it shows up in the store.

Not the usual "Droid is best" experience many have at their local Verizon store.

I was just at that store also. The diamond wireless has them for sale now though! No waiting

08-20-11 05:05 PM
    my experiences at verizon stores have been similar. push droid and iphone. commission based sales reps. its the only reason.

nice to see one be objective and advise you to wait.
    08-20-11 05:05 PM
    Most of these reps are making no more than minimum wage and they depend on commissions. I actually had one tell me Android devices get as good of battery life and Blackberries. They will tell you anything to go Android or iPhone.
    08-20-11 05:17 PM
    i had the exact same before. I went in to change something on my account and the sales rep asked me if i was going to move back to a bb. i saw that he was using a droid x and a bb bold. I asked which he liked better, and he said he's a bb fan. well, i am too haha
    08-20-11 05:19 PM
    At the end of a recent VZW tech support call the tech even tried to switch me over from my then-Curve to a Droid after "noticing" that line had an upgrade available. When I told him I was waiting for the 9930 and asked if he had any info on the release date he pretended not to hear and continued yammering about the "killer deal" on the Droid. Combine that with -0- promotion of the new BBs on the release day and it's clear there's a big incentive coming from somewhere for Verizon to downplay the BB line.
    08-20-11 05:20 PM
    Walked in Verizon store. Right up to the Bold, what a nice device, quick, repsonsive, smart. Unlike the uninformed Verizon Rep! They asked if I wanted a Job selling phones. They got it yesterday without any knowledge or training! Whats up with that? Nice to walk in and know more and get the Deer in Head Lights Stair! LOL!
    08-20-11 05:24 PM
    I've stopped buying directly from Verizon stores. Half of the employees are less knowledgable about new phones coming than I am(and that's not bragging, A few of them are my friends so:P).

What I do is go to a Best buy. The Best Buy Verizon sellers actually know what you're talking about(surprisingly for Best Buy!, maybe it's because the B.B. initials?), and a number of them are either rocking blackberries, or like them and at least understand how to sell them over a droid.

I think the problem is Big Red's training only deals with what they think are 'hot' phones, so they only push iPhone/Droids because those are the ones that are 'cool' right now, and BB's will generally sell to Blackberry enthusiasts anyway(also, AT&T had the scoop on the iPhone, and T-Mobile had the G-1, so Verizon is trying to corner the market ont he phoens those two carriers used to have exclusive rights too)
    08-20-11 05:37 PM
    Went to a verizon store today, they are currently selling the Bold 9930 eventhough the release date being this thursday. The staff in the Verizon store seemed ecstatic for the release saying its the best blackberry yet and strongly reccomending it to people.

Good job RIM, now lower the price to the $150-$199 range and you guys are set.
    The only thing I don't understand is the display. Android has a huge wall saying Droid does and iPhone has its huge wall for itself with 6 demo phones. The blackberry was just squished in near the multi media phones section. (EnVs, LG Cosmos type phones)

08-20-11 05:39 PM
    Anyone who makes a purchase based on the recommendation of a brainless in-store rep deserves what they get.
    08-20-11 05:44 PM
    I've tried a Droid, and my wife has an iPhone4. I just switched to the Bold 9930 from my long time BB Storm2. I must admit, I like a lot about the iPhone, but as a long time BB user I'm loving the Bold! Sure, there are some apps I need updated, but I really enjoy this new BB and while I'll give the iPhone 5 a look when it comes out, I'm not sure I won't be sticking around with RIM for a while longer. Come on QNX BB phones!
    08-20-11 05:45 PM
    My story was very similar. But I already had the device. Got it online and went to my local VZW store to transfer contacts.

All three reps were drooling over my device asking me questions and asking to use it. All three had both droids and BBs and when they saw my device said that this may replace their everyday device.

Not sure if it's just Los Angeles, but BB is still really strong. Even the VZW reps said that Android has a long way to go and shared some Droid 'horror stories' with me.
    08-20-11 05:49 PM
    Verizon offered me 3(yes 3) droid3 phones for 50 bucks! When I asked for the new BB 9930, yup, I got my BB , they did not seem happy about my decision. But I am......

08-20-11 06:26 PM
    I had a great experience at verizon the yesterday, after I asked if they had any Blackberry's. They had none out at all!! The rep said they had some in the back and he said they had a demo of the 9930. He brought it out for my wife and I to mess with it! It was really nice! The rep was even excited about the the new phone. Some of his detail were off, although, he was over-stating some of its capabilities. Looks like a great phone and I will be looking forward to picking one up!

08-20-11 06:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD