So what's the difference between the Bold 9900 and the Bold 9930 ?
    05-02-11 01:45 PM
    9900 = gsm
    9930 = cdma
    05-02-11 01:47 PM
    One is GSM
    other is CDMA and GSM...

The one that is just GSM annoys me a bit.
    I wish they could be smart and just do a universal phone one day.
    05-02-11 01:54 PM
    So which one do I want? I'm on Vodafone in the UK.. or does it not matter?
    05-02-11 02:12 PM
    So which one do I want? I'm on Vodafone in the UK.. or does it not matter?
    9900. Most carriers in Europe are GSM, such as Vodafone.
    andy_mk3 likes this.
    05-02-11 02:17 PM
    One is GSM
    other is CDMA and GSM...

The one that is just GSM annoys me a bit.
    I wish they could be smart and just do a universal phone one day.
    They will once all carriers switch to LTE.
    05-02-11 02:18 PM
    OHHHH damn my stupid face. I thought they were different phones.
    Oh well, I'm in Europe, GSM for me.

Just FYI I think GSM is way better than CDMA. Especially in Europe.
    Maybe you guys over there in the U.S don't go outside the country that much, but here in Europe a guy like me crosses 2-3 countries/day, everyday.

For example, it takes under 6 hours by car to go from Italy to Germany, and you pass through Switzerland and Austria, that's 4 countries.

Not that I have GSM numbers for all of them but sometimes I spend 2-3 weeks in another country and I just forward calls on my old GSM card to the German one and voila local costs.

I think I would be really, really poor with a CDMA phone in Europe, not only it would cost me tons for not being able to switch cards, but also because there really aren't that many CDMA networks.

More on the matter, is harder to sell a CDMA phone.
    Even though Europe has a law which practically sets a maximal price for EU-to-EU country phone calls, the prices are still waaaaaaay too high.

So I'm pretty glad GSM is predominant in Europe, I had a CDMA phone for a few months and hated it.

Run out of battery and need a really quick phone call? Suffer.
    With GSM I just take out my card and insert it into a friend's phone for a minute, all done.

You might think this doesn't happen very often, but it does to me. I also manage to lose/break phones a lot and I have "spare" GSM cards lying around and used spare phones, whenever I "do something bad" I just take another GSM card, insert it into a phone of my choosing and call the operator and tell them to change the number and deactivate the other one cuz I lost it.
    05-02-11 04:45 PM
    If the network is more dominant, then yeah of course it's going to be better. That said the GSM standard has plenty of problems... Like the sucky tower handoff.
    05-02-11 04:49 PM
    In a vast majority of the US, Verizon's CDMA network is king despite slower download speed. I agree that GSM is best internationally though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-02-11 10:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD