While the Blackberry Bold 9930 has a touch screen it does not appear to have a touch dial pad like on the droid or IPhone. (I do need the QWERTY but also liked the touch dial Pad)
    If there is can some one let me know how to access it and if not does anyone know of a good 3rd party app to get one.
    09-29-11 08:14 PM
    While the Blackberry Bold 9930 has a touch screen it does not appear to have a touch dial pad like on the droid or IPhone. (I do need the QWERTY but also liked the touch dial Pad)
    If there is can some one let me know how to access it and if not does anyone know of a good 3rd party app to get one.
    First off, welcome to CrackBerry!
    As soon as you have the chance, please update your profile to include your device, carrier, and location. This makes it easier for others to assist you.

When you have the Phone app open, your QWERTY keypad is automatically in Number-Lock, so you always have a full dial pad.

Maybe not what you were looking for, but I'm sure they excluded it because it was redundant with the physical keyboard right there.
    09-29-11 08:21 PM
    09-29-11 08:23 PM
    Seriously? With a full keypad with integrated dial pad, you want a touch screen pad as well?
    09-29-11 09:08 PM
    One thing I did find annoying was trying to dial a number that was spelled out like 1-877-ROGERS1. I don't know off the top of my head what number corresponds to what letter...
    09-29-11 11:26 PM
    One thing I did find annoying was trying to dial a number that was spelled out like 1-877-ROGERS1. I don't know off the top of my head what number corresponds to what letter...
    you don't need to remember what # corresponds what letter, all you need to do is...in the phone app dial 1800 press and hold alt Key and dial those letters then hit green phone button
    ignites and Cozmik like this.
    09-29-11 11:34 PM
    you don't need to remember what # corresponds what letter, all you need to do is...in the phone app dial 1800 press and hold alt Key and dial those letters then hit green phone button
    Awesome! I learn something new everyday :-P

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-11 12:44 AM
    Currently running a Desire HD but waiting for Orange UK to release the 9900 and switching back to BB.
    This post has just reminded me of one of the biggest frustrations on my old 9000. When asked to enter the 3rd and 4th letter of a password using numbers on my keypad I would get, incorrect please try again later.
    So my point is, is using alt and the correct letter the work around for entering passwords rather than numbers?
    Thanks
    09-30-11 02:03 AM
    When asked to enter the 3rd and 4th letter of a password using numbers on my keypad I would get, incorrect please try again later.
    So my point is, is using alt and the correct letter the work around for entering passwords rather than numbers?
    I think the answer is going to be Yes, but I'm not 100% clear on what you mean. Do you mean entering your password over the phone like for voicemail or phone banking, or entering your password in websites & apps, or maybe your device password?

Can you clarify and give an example of your issue?
    l14nms likes this.
    09-30-11 03:28 AM
    Thanks Elite1, yes your right with your interpretation of my ham fisted question.
    You phone your carrier or phone banking and they say "Using the numbers on your key pad enter the 2nd and 4th character from your password." then you look at your bold keypad and think the two don't match so you quickly go abc 1, def 2, then a quick stab at 6 because your running out of time and the automated voice says " incorrect please try again"
    I cant be the first to have this issue so I am guessing from reading earlier replies to this thread that it would be, alt o, on the bold key pad, if you didn't know o was 6 from a normal phone dial pad.
    Hope this clarifies my question.
    09-30-11 10:19 AM
    Thanks Elite1, yes your right with your interpretation of my ham fisted question.
    You phone your carrier or phone banking and they say "Using the numbers on your key pad enter the 2nd and 4th character from your password." then you look at your bold keypad and think the two don't match so you quickly go abc 1, def 2, then a quick stab at 6 because your running out of time and the automated voice says " incorrect please try again"
    I cant be the first to have this issue so I am guessing from reading earlier replies to this thread that it would be, alt o, on the bold key pad, if you didn't know o was 6 from a normal phone dial pad.
    Hope this clarifies my question.

I can answer this the answer is basically no as the computer is listening to key tones and the method for dialing numbers with letters just reassigns the letter back to its corresponding number as the number is dialed (I have tried it myself) the work around for orange is the following
    1st memorise the numbers associated with your password (I have done this for most of my password)
    2nd if you get it wrong twice or refuse to type it you get put through to an operator insted and they sort it (but this doesn't work if your trying to sort something out without an operator)
    3rd method is to find another mobile phone or landline that has touch tone operation and put it next to that and type it in as the computers at the other end of the phone are waiting for tones rather than the actual number pressing

hope that helps
    l14nms likes this.
    09-30-11 10:45 AM
    Thanks JonnyCraig, when using my Bold 9000 18 months back your right 1 - 3 of your post were the work around and I used them all at some point and it always felt like I was behind the times.
    Time and technology have moved on I thought but seems the old ways still seem relevant
    Unless someone out there in Crackberry land knows different.

I seem to be talking myself out of going back to a Bold
    09-30-11 11:30 AM
    Seriously? With a full keypad with integrated dial pad, you want a touch screen pad as well?
    I would as well, as I've posted before. The larger touchscreen 'buttons' are far more convenient than the little keyboard dialpad, especially for entering passwords or navigating touch-tone menus.

I think my 9900 is a huge improvement over the Torch 9800, but the touchscreen dialpad is one feature of the Torch that I do miss.
    09-30-11 11:33 AM
    Thanks JonnyCraig, when using my Bold 9000 18 months back your right 1 - 3 of your post were the work around and I used them all at some point and it always felt like I was behind the times.
    Time and technology have moved on I thought but seems the old ways still seem relevant
    Unless someone out there in Crackberry land knows different.

I seem to be talking myself out of going back to a Bold
    I think its less blackberry and more an orange problem with using touch tone to enter a password they have had blackberry plans for a while (for over 2 years at least) and they have brought out more qwerty phones as well (which might have the same problem) and they still have not sorted the problem
    09-30-11 11:52 AM
    Okay, all you guys… Stop talking and listen up!

I had the same frustrations until I realized how easy BB had made it.

When you're on a call, your keypad is essentially in NUMLOCK as if you were holding down the ALT key and typing in a message: all the keys make numbers or punctuation marks instead of letters.

So to enter a numeric password during a call, you just dial it straight.

For letters, hold ALT and click the letter. The BB will generate the tone corresponding to that letter on the traditional phone T9 keypad. (I think it's called T9, iirc.)

So supposing your password was CAT…
    You'd hit ALT+C, ALT+A, ALT+T.
    Your BB would generate tones as if you'd just hit 228 on a traditional telephone.

You can program numbers into your Contacts this way too.
    Ex. 1-888-AIRMILES (or 1888AIRMILES without hyphens works too)

You can also pre-program passwords like these into a Contact.
    Ex. 18005551212[w]CAT
    (You don't actually type "[w]" but click MENU and select Add Wait or Add Pause. Pause enters the next bit after a 2-3 second pause; Wait gives you a popup to enter or dismiss the next bit.)
    Last edited by elite1; 09-30-11 at 02:30 PM.
    l14nms likes this.
    09-30-11 02:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD