i read that deleting social feeds would double your battery life so i tried it and it works for me.. when i first got the 9930 i had a discharge rate about 10-15 pct per hour with the leaked os 340 and 353 i had about 8-10 im running 353 right now deleted social feeds knocked out for about 10 hours woke up and lost only 5 percent
    gordongr and jon4400 like this.
    09-03-11 07:17 PM
    Yeah.... but social feeds is..... awesome....
    arickinreallife likes this.
    09-03-11 07:24 PM
    Is this the same on the OS6 devices? I have it installed but I really don't use it.
    09-03-11 08:01 PM
    Anything using data to update behind the scene will pull power.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-11 08:24 PM
    i read that deleting social feeds would double your battery life so i tried it and it works for me.. when i first got the 9930 i had a discharge rate about 10-15 pct per hour with the leaked os 340 and 353 i had about 8-10 im running 353 right now deleted social feeds knocked out for about 10 hours woke up and lost only 5 percent
    I only use Facebook and Twitter, but I am going to try to delete the actual "social feeds" app to see if it helps with battery life which is about 6-9 hours before needing to be recharged even though all I really do is send texts and email.
    09-03-11 09:25 PM
    go into the setting for social feeds and set it to refresh every hour to save battery. =) no need to delete it.
    09-03-11 09:36 PM
    Or you can refresh to every 3 or 6 hours...or manually.
    09-03-11 09:44 PM
    go into the setting for social feeds and set it to refresh every hour to save battery. =) no need to delete it.
    I went ahead and deleted mine, but left the FB and Twitter App so not sure if it will make much difference, but I wasn't a huge fan of the "Social Feed" app because it made FB and Twitter into one feed so it makes it harder to scan through stuff IMO.
    09-03-11 09:46 PM
    I shrunk out all of it including FB and Twitter and I'm getting performance very similar to the 9780 - maybe 0.5 day less than that device, if that. Mind you if you that won't help you if you want the social apps.
    09-03-11 11:27 PM
    Those RSS feeds beat the heck out of a list of bookmarks thou....
    09-03-11 11:59 PM
    I shrunk out all of it including FB and Twitter and I'm getting performance very similar to the 9780 - maybe 0.5 day less than that device, if that. Mind you if you that won't help you if you want the social apps.
    What OS shrinker are you using?
    09-04-11 12:11 AM
    BBH tools and BB Boss although on .353 something wasn't working properly with Boss. I'll also go through the java folder and pluck out various stuff that that shrink a-os doesn't grab.
    Masahiro likes this.
    09-04-11 12:25 AM
    I have to agree with the other posters... I absolutely love the social feeds app. Its something people don't give RIM enough credit for. I LOVE having all my RSS feeds, Facebook/Twitter/BBM feeds, and my podcast feeds all easily accessible from the same App... I don't think its worth skipping out on for a little bit extra juice.

I've noticed that my new 9900's battery drains faster then my old 9700's but honestly it doesn't bother me. I have two chargers at home, two at work, and one in my truck. I believe in keeping the battery plugged in and charged to 100% whenever i'm not physically using the phone. I've noticed on my days off I can go like 8 hours between charges on .353 and barely dip below 50% and during the work week its simply impossible for my phone to drop below 85% because I am always near one of my chargers.
    09-04-11 12:34 AM
    I always shrink it, maybe that's why I have such good battery life? It's useless to me. I like checking FB, Twitter, etc, seperately and actually hate them to all be combined in one app
    This is the first phone i have ever left Social Feeds on... I used to totally be the same as you.

Not sure why all of a sudden with my 9900 i enjoy Social Feeds so much but I do... Maybe it's being able to use the touch screen to swipe back and forth between streams
    09-04-11 01:44 AM
    I really like social feeds too... Although it doesn't show enough of my twitter stream sometimes which bothers me. If RIM fixed this I'd happily use it over the twitter app. I still love it for rss and the favorites option. I made one of my favorites "9930" so that anything that comes up in news or my twitter feed for "9930" will alert me on my phone, home screen etc.

Great stuff really.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-04-11 02:25 AM
    interesting I have to check out deleting social feeds. I never use it anyhow.
    09-04-11 02:30 AM
    Curiously - and I know I sound like an ***** here - I can't find an option to change the auto update schedule for Social Feeds! I've looked in all the obvious places in the 'options' menu, but... nothing. Could some kind soul help me out, please?
    09-04-11 06:29 AM
    Deleting social feeds won't do a thing to improve battery life. Using them will eat battery, period.

You can have them on the device, NOT ACTIVE and they will have no impact on performance, since they are NOT being used. I chose to delete them, since I don't subscribe to them in any case.
    09-04-11 07:10 AM
    Where can i set the option to refresh manually? I cant find it anywhere in the social feeds app?
    09-04-11 07:18 AM
    Where can i set the option to refresh manually? I cant find it anywhere in the social feeds app?
    My question too - where is the option to manual refresh only or change the auto update schedule?
    09-04-11 07:22 AM
    For me, its in options then RSS options, then refresh rss feeds every:

I set mine to three hours

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-04-11 08:17 AM
    Let's me try it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-11 09:34 AM
    thanks so much to the OP for this tip, i dont know why but i had my social feeds set to refresh a few hours apart and that was still the culprit of my poor battery life. I deleted it and wow what a difference, i do like the app though so maybe RIM can tweak something with it, it was draining my battery for some reason, and like i said before, its not like i had it set to refresh every 5 seconds
    09-04-11 02:51 PM
    thanks so much to the OP for this tip, i dont know why but i had my social feeds set to refresh a few hours apart and that was still the culprit of my poor battery life. I deleted it and wow what a difference, i do like the app though so maybe RIM can tweak something with it, it was draining my battery for some reason, and like i said before, its not like i had it set to refresh every 5 seconds
    After deleting my Social Feeds app, my battery life is much better.Still have some battery left after 13 hours and days 1-3, it was in the red with in 10 hours. That looks to be the culprit. If this is how the battery life will be from now on I will be very happy to just charge every night before bed like all my BB's.

I never checked FB on my 9780 because it sucked so bad, but this 9900 is so much better so that is probably why I have such a difference in battery life.
    Last edited by dallasjetfan; 09-04-11 at 09:20 PM.
    dmusicman385 likes this.
    09-04-11 09:08 PM
    I concur, my battery seems to last even longer (never had the issues some people had). Excellent find EVOP
    09-05-11 01:33 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD