I'm pretty new to this and sorry if this is a repost or summat.

I just need to ask, will I be able to delete the Help Files on my BB9900 just to free up space or memory? I believe when I had the 8520 with the old BDM I was able to delete a couple of files but when I got the 9900 and plugged it in, It was a completely different screen then I tried to plug in the 8520 and did the same thing. Guess BDM got updated.

Anyhoo, so can I? I deleted the languages and PDF files so I can free a few but I'm itching to delete those Help Files. Haha! I know the answer is a No but probably some of you can think of a way. Any way?
    02-06-12 07:33 PM
    download this and follow the instructions

BB HYBRIDS TOOL
    02-06-12 07:45 PM
    Thannnnkkksssss!
    02-06-12 08:03 PM
    I'm pretty new to this and sorry if this is a repost or summat.

I just need to ask, will I be able to delete the Help Files on my BB9900 just to free up space or memory? I believe when I had the 8520 with the old BDM I was able to delete a couple of files but when I got the 9900 and plugged it in, It was a completely different screen then I tried to plug in the 8520 and did the same thing. Guess BDM got updated.

Anyhoo, so can I? I deleted the languages and PDF files so I can free a few but I'm itching to delete those Help Files. Haha! I know the answer is a No but probably some of you can think of a way. Any way?

Or just reload the device OS and uncheck the Help files. You can shrink it out if you so choose; be advised that others have run into performance problems and other issues afterwards. Also, the 99xx series really isn't hurting for memory.
    02-06-12 09:32 PM
    Or just reload the device OS and uncheck the Help files. You can shrink it out if you so choose; be advised that others have run into performance problems and other issues afterwards. Also, the 99xx series really isn't hurting for memory.
    Please do not create confusion. You are MISINFORMED.

You cannot shrink help files during installation process they are not choosable as they core OS files
    Shrinking with widsom has never affected any phone or OS the problem you mentioned above were caused by Users errors.
    You can always put the CODs back to the javafolder so it is well worthy to give it a try as long as you know what you are doing
    Unfortunatelly with the size of OS7 and large apps an OS would have just the 26 22% of free memory to play with ( not apps installed)prior shrinking .I have nearly 40 apps and I have 24% of free memory
    02-07-12 12:20 AM
    Please do not create confusion. You are MISINFORMED.

You cannot shrink help files during installation process they are not choosable as they core OS files
    Shrinking with widsom has never affected any phone or OS the problem you mentioned above were caused by Users errors.
    You can always put the CODs back to the javafolder so it is well worthy to give it a try as long as you know what you are doing
    Unfortunatelly with the size of OS7 and large apps an OS would have just the 26 22% of free memory to play with ( not apps installed)prior shrinking .I have nearly 40 apps and I have 24% of free memory
    Misinformed? Creating confusion? Dial It down a notch. I may or may not remember off the top of my head whether that option exists.

"Shrinking with wisdom" might not get a first-timer very far, as they probably haven't done it if they aren't aware it's an option. Ergo, if they muck up their device (that's called "user error"), they just might also not be aware of how to put the cod's back. Or even which ones (even though there's a button with BBH Tool). Or what to do if the device nukes. If creating confusion is something you wish to avoid, give both options plus a couple possible outcomes and let the user decide.

I gave an alternative to shrinking as OS7 seems to be very touchy with some people's 99xx's. I have examples on both sides for and against shrinking/not shrinking. Altering it has caused a couple threads in this forum to pop up wanting to know how to get out of reboot loops after shrinking. Are you guaranteeing the OP this won't happen if he/she runs into problems? Didn't think so. Who knows how many of the nuked/bricked threads and posts aren't a result of people unwittingly removing something that heretofore was fine to remove but no longer.

I will add that shrinking isn't evil, and was necessary on prior devices. I've done it for every OS from 4.3 up until I purchased my Bold. At least there's tools/utilities for shrinking now, less chance of removing something integral.
    02-07-12 01:20 AM
    Well said, altering the OS can be a minefield and one that many have found there way into.
    I gained a lot of knowledge by bricking BB's and while it may be useful knowledge I'd rather not have learned it!
    Given the amount of memory in the 9900 is it really necessary to strip everything out? I'm not sure, it does seem to be a hard habit to break though, especially if you owned some of the earlier BB's and had little choice.
    02-07-12 06:50 AM
    Misinformed? Creating confusion? Dial It down a notch. I may or may not remember off the top of my head whether that option exists.

"Shrinking with wisdom" might not get a first-timer very far, as they probably haven't done it if they aren't aware it's an option. Ergo, if they muck up their device (that's called "user error"), they just might also not be aware of how to put the cod's back. Or even which ones (even though there's a button with BBH Tool). Or what to do if the device nukes. If creating confusion is something you wish to avoid, give both options plus a couple possible outcomes and let the user decide.

I gave an alternative to shrinking as OS7 seems to be very touchy with some people's 99xx's. I have examples on both sides for and against shrinking/not shrinking. Altering it has caused a couple threads in this forum to pop up wanting to know how to get out of reboot loops after shrinking. Are you guaranteeing the OP this won't happen if he/she runs into problems? Didn't think so. Who knows how many of the nuked/bricked threads and posts aren't a result of people unwittingly removing something that heretofore was fine to remove but no longer.

I will add that shrinking isn't evil, and was necessary on prior devices. I've done it for every OS from 4.3 up until I purchased my Bold. At least there's tools/utilities for shrinking now, less chance of removing something integral.
    The phone works better shrinked,plus you said you could uncheck help files from java loader options during installation... ergo you still are misinformed because your info are WRONG.

Cheerse
    02-07-12 07:50 AM
    Well said, altering the OS can be a minefield and one that many have found there way into.
    I gained a lot of knowledge by bricking BB's and while it may be useful knowledge I'd rather not have learned it!
    Given the amount of memory in the 9900 is it really necessary to strip everything out? I'm not sure, it does seem to be a hard habit to break though, especially if you owned some of the earlier BB's and had little choice.
    Knowledge is given by the capacity to learn from mistakes only then you gain widsom. Only if you learn! What you stated just proves your surrending fails.

We have a saying around here " when the fox can't reach the grapes says is not interested cause it ain't good...."
    02-07-12 07:59 AM
    I think I get the gist of your "saying" but I refuse to indulge in mental swordfights with unarmed people.
    02-07-12 11:10 AM
    The phone works better shrinked,plus you said you could uncheck help files from java loader options during installation... ergo you still are misinformed because your info are WRONG.

Cheerse
    Older devices get a real benefit from shrinking the OS. You're encountering a placebo effect with shrinking the 99xx OS.

Next time you feel the need to climb up on a high horse, check your grammar and sentence structure. Unless, of course, someone misinformed you on how to use them
    02-07-12 12:35 PM
    Now it got confusing all of a sudden.
    02-07-12 04:12 PM
    Now it got confusing all of a sudden.

In a nutshell, there's no reason or need to shrink if your device isn't having problems. If you do need the space, use BBH Tool and be careful if you've never used it. Shrinking can and has messed up phones.
    OniBerry likes this.
    02-07-12 06:13 PM
    I agree. Shrinking your OS on a 7.0 or 7.1 device is next to useless. Some people still believe they are using an 8330 or something. smh
    02-07-12 06:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD