We'll split the difference: The GSM 9900 comes out in June/July and the CDMA 9930 follows in August.
    How about the opposite?!
    05-06-11 05:57 AM
    Don't read too much into that -- you can't delay something that was never given an official date.. not to mention they have plenty on hand here at BBW and it's running tip top for the most part. Yeah, some minor OS issues but BlackBerry 7 is alive and well.
    Bla1ze can you tell us anything about BB7 Support of Torch and 9780. I mean Blackberry normally backdates new versions of the OS one generation.
    05-06-11 08:28 AM
    they already said there'd be no os7 for older devices
    05-06-11 08:38 AM
    For those who claim OS fragmentation, at least BB users are able to update to the various leaks as they become available. Imagine being an HTC user expecting Sense 2.0.!
    You are kidding, right? There are so many ways to customize the OS on Android. Any HTC user that doesn't like sense can either install a 3rd party home launcher (that makes sense completely disappear) or root and install a custom rom. And if rooted, it can all be done on the device without a pc. Full backups of apps, system data, home screens, everything can be done on the device.
    05-06-11 09:18 AM
    You are kidding, right? There are so many ways to customize the OS on Android. Any HTC user that doesn't like sense can either install a 3rd party home launcher (that makes sense completely disappear) or root and install a custom rom. And if rooted, it can all be done on the device without a pc. Full backups of apps, system data, home screens, everything can be done on the device.
    They weren't talking about customization....
    05-06-11 10:19 AM
    It'll likely be the 6.1 lite upgrade for current devices as outlined in the leaked slides a while back.
    05-06-11 10:29 AM
    It'll likely be the 6.1 lite upgrade for current devices as outlined in the leaked slides a while back.
    Well I don't think they have to call it 6.1 "lite" anymore. They could just call it 6.1 and there would be no confusion with the former "full" 6.1 which is now 7.0
    05-06-11 10:59 AM
    And that will get you everything back when your phone dies that has all of your info on it and nowhere else. Great idea!
    Last edited by kbz1960; 05-06-11 at 11:07 AM. Reason: wrong word
    05-06-11 11:07 AM
    Well I don't think they have to call it 6.1 "lite" anymore. They could just call it 6.1 and there would be no confusion with the former "full" 6.1 which is now 7.0
    I noted the lite to differentiate it from the 6.1 update in the slides which is now called 7. to avoid confusion. i guess that didn't work lol.
    05-06-11 11:09 AM
    If BB OS was manufactured by RIM + Samsung + HTC + LG + etc you'd have a ton of releases as well...
    They're all the same anyways, touchscreen slates with minor upgrades each iteration.
    mssca likes this.
    05-06-11 11:45 AM
    Actually, RIM should be aware and seriously concerned of that sentiment or threat as you put it. They have just lowered their sales projections due to the lack luster sales in the past quarter and this type of sentiment from the consumer should have them concerned about their future sales. Especially when other companies like HTC announced record profits.

I currently have and use the 8330 and am looking for a replacement. I need a phone with a larger screen and absolutely need to have solid internet speeds. 3G is fine but would prefer 4G. So far, the only choice I have with RIM products on Verizon network is the Storm 2 which is 2 years old and and cannot be upgraded. Since I have 5 active lines on my account with Verizon, I cannot afford switch to another carrier just for a better phone.

'If RIM does not come out with a new phone real soon, I'll...'

The statement above is not a threat, it's reality! I am buying a new phone this month or early June and I'm seriously considering one of the newest Android phones since there is NO competing products from RIM.

My wife who has a Storm 2 is looking at upgrading her phone by September. And guess what? If RIM has no competing phones by that time, that'll be the second sale lost from my account. My oldest daughter has an 8330 as well and she too will be upgrading this upcoming fall. And guess what? HTC is looking good!

RIM Should seriously be concerned!
    Same here... If we have to upgrade phones in our account, we will look into better phones.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-11 01:22 PM
    Desktop Manager is not a negative really... It's something that Android lacks. Granted, full backups on the sd card would be a nice option, but I have a feeling that's a legacy issue that BB doesn't permit based on the devices coming from a business perspective (you don't want users carrying around unecrypted, full backups on their removable storage cards) and it just never changed.

Even symbian has a better desktop component than Android does (by far).
    05-06-11 01:22 PM
    We have BlackBerry Protect for OTA backups and restores anyways.

05-06-11 01:26 PM
    Yeah the BB contacts/PIM info backup is more than adequate. I think the 3rd party app backup is still a little antiquated and confusing though (unless you are talking about migration through OS upgrades, which works pretty well).
    05-06-11 01:33 PM
    they already said there'd be no os7 for older devices
    That's what I'd bet on. Phones are not PCs and I'd not count on, nor would *I* want to shoehorn an OS onto a phone that was not designed for it. Does not really seem to work well on any platform, consistently. I would expect some revisions to the OS for any phone of course but within that version.

What I really just want is some more aggressive releases of more current-spec hardware. I was thinking if they got the new Bold out in the Summer, and not at the end of the Summer, or whatever, that would be an improvement.
    05-06-11 01:59 PM
    Let's not argue if BB are better or not compared to other phones. If you don't like your BB, then go for another. If you love your BB (like I do), then stay with it. I think we all (including myself ) are just running around in circles when we compare different types of devices made for different types of people.

So... back to the real topic of this thread; any updates on release dates from any North American carriers?
    05-06-11 02:47 PM
    Listen to Josh and crew on RIM's product releases and impact on its customers, on the last 11 minutes:

This is my next Podcast 005 – 05.06.2011 | This is my next...

I love these guys.
    05-06-11 10:50 PM
    Actually, RIM should be aware and seriously concerned of that sentiment or threat as you put it. They have just lowered their sales projections due to the lack luster sales in the past quarter and this type of sentiment from the consumer should have them concerned about their future sales. Especially when other companies like HTC announced record profits.

I currently have and use the 8330 and am looking for a replacement. I need a phone with a larger screen and absolutely need to have solid internet speeds. 3G is fine but would prefer 4G. So far, the only choice I have with RIM products on Verizon network is the Storm 2 which is 2 years old and and cannot be upgraded. Since I have 5 active lines on my account with Verizon, I cannot afford switch to another carrier just for a better phone.

'If RIM does not come out with a new phone real soon, I'll...'

The statement above is not a threat, it's reality! I am buying a new phone this month or early June and I'm seriously considering one of the newest Android phones since there is NO competing products from RIM.

My wife who has a Storm 2 is looking at upgrading her phone by September. And guess what? If RIM has no competing phones by that time, that'll be the second sale lost from my account. My oldest daughter has an 8330 as well and she too will be upgrading this upcoming fall. And guess what? HTC is looking good!

RIM Should seriously be concerned!

Guess you are going to Android than because I highly doubt you will see a new BB by early June.lol If you have gotten by with an 8330 for this long I doubt a few more months would make a big deal. Patience is a virtue. Have fun with the bad battery life of the androids not to mention they are extreme data hogs and very unsecure. I was micromanaging my android on an hourly basis. Thankfully I got rid of it after a week.
    05-06-11 11:44 PM
    I'm hearing its gna be released the 3rd wednesday of June for Tmo - *Rumor* I can't confirm because I don't work for them but I have friends who do...

05-07-11 04:46 PM
    Don't burst the bubble I'm living in. This phone is coming in June or July. No questions asked!

I've waited long long time for this.
    we are in the same boat.

however, the longer they delay the phone, the more reluctant i will be to buy this phone because the attmobile merger draws near.
    05-07-11 07:16 PM
    So for the GSM version I will say a June launch won't happen in the US. I no longer have a contact at Verizon so I can't speak to the CDMA ver but I will say they will most likely come out at the same time.

There will be almost no time difference between the TMO release and the ATT release in fact they will most likely happen the same day. TMO and ATT will not aggressively market against each other on the same device between now and merger close.

This device is still in AT&T's lab and has not gone to field trial yet. Once it goes to the field it will be 30-45 days if all goes well...

PG
    05-07-11 07:54 PM
    So for the GSM version I will say a June launch won't happen in the US. I no longer have a contact at Verizon so I can't speak to the CDMA ver but I will say they will most likely come out at the same time.

There will be almost no time difference between the TMO release and the ATT release in fact they will most likely happen the same day. TMO and ATT will not aggressively market against each other on the same device between now and merger close.

This device is still in AT&T's lab and has not gone to field trial yet. Once it goes to the field it will be 30-45 days if all goes well...

PG
    boo. att needs to get cracking!

thanks for the incite tho
    05-07-11 08:07 PM
    Yeah because testing Blackberry's with new OS' is easy and straightforward and can be done in a weekend....

Sorry you'll forgive me but I've lived this through this dream a few times....

PG
    05-07-11 08:21 PM
    can't voda just let us have it already, and us Brits will give you Americans the thumbs up? Much better, quicker and profitable I think.
    05-07-11 08:35 PM

PG
    The device already hit the field for AT&T according to CX.
    05-07-11 08:50 PM
133 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD