am i missing something? because you backed up what I said.
    When the 9780 was released last November, didn't RIM already know it wouldn't be able to run the next iteraion? Why was it released then?

honestly, i'd like a device that can run my regular apps and tasks without lag. what's the point of upgrading to the newest OS if it makes your device feel like it's powered by hamsters?

I forget the details of a recent lawsuit a bunch of iPhone 3G were joining up with because apple allowed them to upgrade to iOS4 and crippled their devices because the hardware couldn't handle it. this is EXACTLY what would happen if 684mhz OS6 devices were to run OS7.
    You have it backward. The iPhone 3G was already 2 years old when iOS4 came out. The question is why did RIM release hardware knowing it wouldn't even run the upcoming OS update?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-05-11 06:09 PM
    The first shot at this very topic:

BlackBerry World: Now Wait for Last Year | This is my next...

So just what is OS 7? It�s not the PlayBook�s QNX-based operating system (the two won�t be compatible), and it isn�t exactly backwards-compatible with the*just released OS 6 and its devices. OS 7 is, however, a new fork of that OS, obviously streamlined and cleaned up for a new generation of CPUs (sporting the company�s new �Liquid Graphics�). What was supposed to be called 6.1 or 6.5 has become a full-fledged revamp. Again, on launch day RIM told the press that OS 7 would not be coming to older devices � including the just-released and heavily promoted Torch. Even in the fast-moving world of tech, obsoleting your flagship device after just nine months feels fast (then again, maybe RIM feels like I did � that the Torch was obsolete at launch). But how is that supposed to feel to the loyal customers to whom it�s been shilling this device? Unfortunately, it seems that in one fell swoop RIM has made what was already a dim picture for developers and users darker still. The company manages to alienate fans and pour quicksand on its third parties � and it almost feels like an afterthought.
    05-05-11 06:23 PM
    You should probably refrain from commenting on business aspects if you don't actually understand them. They had one of their best quarters ever so the lowered projection had nothing to do with previous sales and if you look at the amount they reduced their projections for the next quarter it seems fairly obvious that their new devices have been delayed for a few weeks so that is less time for their sales to contribute to the next quarter, as shown by them leaving the yearly projections exactly as they were.

I wish people would learn that anecdote is not the singular of data, for every example of people leaving blackberry for another device there are clearly more stories of people moving to them since they are still growing.
    I am very well versed at reporting and analyzing domestic and international sales.

I do agree that RIM had a greater volume in sales, however, my analysis is based on a report that was published on worldwide sales of smartphones.

1) RIM Growth from 2009 to 2010 was 41.4% Its good, but that is the lowest percentage growth from all smartphone manufacturers. See the following link and specifically the "Top Five Smartphone Vendors, Shipments, and Market Share, Calendar Year 2010 (Units in Millions)"

IDC - Press Release - prUS22689111

2) RIM is losing Market Share. 3.8% from 2009 to 2010. You will also see the results in the above link.

3) RIM has to lower expectation because the competition is putting pricing pressure therefore their ASPs are lower (Average Selling Price)

"Earnings per share for the first quarter are expected to be in the range of $1.47 -$1.55 per share diluted. This guidance range reflects a mix shift in handset towards lower ASP products in the first quarter and an increased level of investment in Research and Development and Sales and Marketing related to our tablet and platform initiatives. "

4) the reduction in ASP is also indicative of a lack of fresh product.
    05-05-11 06:33 PM
    When the 9780 was released last November, didn't RIM already know it wouldn't be able to run the next iteration? Why was it released then?
    firstly, because the 9780 was using outdated hardware when it was released. but RIM is not going to stop the release of a phone to ponder if it will work on the next OS. and whether you like it or not, a free OS update is a privilege to have because it's like giving people who bought windows xp to be able to upgrade to vista, and windows 7 for free.

secondly, look at the device specs between the 9780 and the 9900, even if we discounted everything else and only looked at the clock speed, that's nearly two-fold increase in cpu power not to mention the efficiencies of a new chipset. in layman's terms, putting OS7 on even a 9780 would lag like ****.

You have it backward. The iPhone 3G was already 2 years old when iOS4 came out. The question is why did RIM release hardware knowing it wouldn't even run the upcoming OS update?

in that case, it may have been 4.2 or 4.3, then.
    Last edited by sg8330; 05-05-11 at 06:50 PM.
    05-05-11 06:48 PM
    The torch was outdated specs when it released, yet it sold a lot and brought a lot of subscribers to AT&T.

I would not question why they even bothered releasing it, as AT&T and RIM both would be worse off if they hadn't.

In other words, just because specs are not current for other phones released, that is not a true indicator as to whether or not something should be released business wise.
    05-05-11 06:52 PM
    So, does anyone have any other sources saying its release will be august?

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk
    05-05-11 06:54 PM
    I am very well versed at reporting and analyzing domestic and international sales.

I do agree that RIM had a greater volume in sales, however, my analysis is based on a report that was published on worldwide sales of smartphones...
    may I add that margins trump everything else you've mentioned in your analysis?

you can have all the market share you want by selling your products at cost, but you won't make a dime doing so.
    05-05-11 06:56 PM
    After owning the first Storm I vowed I would never buy another RIM product. I am very impressed by the 9900 BUT if RIM can't get it to the consumer before July or August I am all done! To hear that there are some kinks in 7 in not encouraging. I have owned various Android phone, and am not impressed. There are things that could be done to the iPhone to improve it ... but I will remain with the iPhone over BB if they are unable to release a perfectly working 9900 before July or August.
    Gotta love people who threaten RIM
    #1 your breaking your own personal vow

#2 RIM doesn't give two craps what you do

#3 Neither does anyone else

#4 You sound like an iphone kind of guy anyway, k,so bye.
    Last edited by cbreze; 05-05-11 at 07:36 PM.
    FoxxBerry likes this.
    05-05-11 07:31 PM
    Just curious does anyone think if there was a delay that this device would be getting announced on 2 carriers that same week as the rumored delay???
    05-05-11 07:52 PM
    more and more delays rim is really kicking itself now. just look at how many android phones google releases every year.
    05-05-11 08:11 PM
    more and more delays rim is really kicking itself now. just look at how many android phones google releases every year.
    I think you're confused...
    05-05-11 08:20 PM
    I think you're confused...
    nope im not confused. im stating the facts. there have been so many android phones released recently that i could lose count.rim just presents one product without an established release date.its a downfall in many eyes.as you can see people with storms wanted that bb touch so bad to be announced.and again nothing concrete from rim.
    05-05-11 08:29 PM
    Yes, but Google does not manufacture or release them...
    05-05-11 08:33 PM
    If BB OS was manufactured by RIM + Samsung + HTC + LG + etc you'd have a ton of releases as well...
    05-05-11 08:36 PM
    Yes, but Google does not manufacture or release them...
    yea but it still considered to be a google android smartphone.
    05-05-11 09:11 PM
    For those who claim OS fragmentation, at least BB users are able to update to the various leaks as they become available. Imagine being an HTC user expecting Sense 2.0. The other thing to consider is that the new QNX based OS is due next year. I certainly understand everyone being excited about this phone but, I for one do not have the resources to buy a phone this year only to want a new one next year. I hope RIM is able to bring some of the proposed Playbook goodies to the new lineup. At this point I will probably stick with my current model and save for the new QNX stuff. Patience is a virtue!!
    05-05-11 09:16 PM
    yea but it still considered to be a google android smartphone.
    Technically it isn't. There are only 2 'google' branded phones. The rest are android based phones made by HTC, Samsung, LG and so forth. The google phones have vanilla android and get updates directly from google. The rest have a manufacturer skin over android and get updates thru the manufacturer and carrier.
    05-05-11 09:27 PM
    Technically it isn't. There are only 2 'google' branded phones. The rest are android based phones made by HTC, Samsung, LG and so forth. The google phones have vanilla android and get updates directly from google. The rest have a manufacturer skin over android and get updates thru the manufacturer and carrier.
    Yep its like complaining that Apple only releases one phone a year compared to 10 manufacturers using the OS and releasing their own phones and OS updates...
    05-05-11 09:42 PM
    From what I read, Bold 9900/9930 is scheduled to be released in Q2 2011. First quarter are Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr. Second quarter are May, Jun, Jul, Aug. If it's in Aug, it's still in Q2. Where's the delay?
    05-05-11 09:45 PM
    Lol, much ado about nothing.
    05-05-11 10:23 PM
    From what I read, Bold 9900/9930 is scheduled to be released in Q2 2011. First quarter are Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr. Second quarter are May, Jun, Jul, Aug. If it's in Aug, it's still in Q2. Where's the delay?
    Umm, I've nevery really been good with math but, how are there 4 months each in the first two quarters?

Q1 = Jan, Feb, Mar
    Q2 = Apr, May, Jun
    Q3 = Jul, Aug, Sept
    Q4 = Oct, Nov, Dec

Even if RIM, VZW or any other companies used some funky fiscal quartering system (i.e. the year begins in feb and ends the following jan) there would still only be three months to each quarter.

If the release is Q2, then it has to be released before July 1. If it's August, that would be Q3... just sayin'.
    05-05-11 10:26 PM
    Umm, I've nevery really been good with math but, how are there 4 months each in the first two quarters?
    Apparently, I'm not very good with typing either...
    05-05-11 10:30 PM
    I'm pretty sure it will be out way before August, Vodafone would not put up a coming soon page for a phone that wouldn't be out for another 3 months! If I had to bet I would say end of June or early July.

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-bol...on-vodafone-uk
    05-05-11 10:57 PM
    Please, share with us which magical OS6 release works on your 9700.

6.0.0.461-but I deleted some files from the original install package. My point is RIM makes bad phones, but they still have support for those bad phones. Hardware limitations are the root cause of RIM's problems, not the support to their customers.

PLUS OS5 updates are still coming out.
    05-05-11 11:55 PM
    Yep its like complaining that Apple only releases one phone a year compared to 10 manufacturers using the OS and releasing their own phones and OS updates...
    Kind of. But then you could also look at HTC alone that seems to release 10 phones a year all by themselves.
    05-06-11 02:40 AM
133 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD