We'll split the difference: The GSM 9900 comes out in June/July and the CDMA 9930 follows in August.
    thats what Im hoping for
    05-05-11 12:57 AM
    well, I hope this hits sooner.... As its released on a carrier-carrier basis, I hope UK get it speedily c'mon vodafone! Haven't let me down so far.. I really need a new phone and contract now..
    05-05-11 04:29 AM
    The phone is on the Blackberry website now. I would imagine it will be a month or two before coming out.
    exactly... why go and put it up on your site, all fancy and new... and then for it to be released months afterwords... doesn't make sense to me..
    05-05-11 04:32 AM
    think it'll be released june/july

btw..........whats up with blackberry world, why no newwwwwww news/updates on day2?
    whats happening
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    05-05-11 04:36 AM
    I wonder what this will mean for the European (/ Dutch) Market. I was hoping I'd be released at the End of June so I can get my 9900 around July. A Delay would mean I could wait untill September or even further away.

Damn, I'm in for an upgrade just now, can't wait to get my hands on one of them myself!
    05-05-11 04:58 AM
    Sucks for people wanting it now if their contracts are up. Kind of understanding to a point, but most diehard BB fans know how RIM and or the Carriers are at putting out phones on time, even if it is guaranteed, lol! This here said summer, so could be June, could be September....

Me, I am fine with an August date as I may actually have moola saved up by then....know I want have it in June.
    05-05-11 05:14 AM
    well here is a local report for the bold 9900 BlackBerry Bold 9900 SA launch details emerge
    05-05-11 05:29 AM
    Given that RIM came out with a profit warning few weeks ago and this was partly due to them not able to sell more high end flagship devices. So, I would expect RIM is in as much hurry as rest of us to get this baby out in the market.

July does look optimistic, in my personal opinion. Just a hunch.
    05-05-11 06:04 AM
    Not to mention BGR does not have a high reliability quotient when it comes to RIM....
    05-05-11 06:25 AM
    Not to mention BGR does not have a high reliability quotient when it comes to RIM....
    They are okay on things like the hw, but the dates appear to be spat out at random to ensure that they have at least one article where they get the timeframe right.
    05-05-11 07:13 AM
    I really get a kick out of the threats "if rim doesn't release by this date then..." ....anyway, regardless of the release date I'm making the purchase....but I'm really hoping for a June release
    Actually, RIM should be aware and seriously concerned of that sentiment or threat as you put it. They have just lowered their sales projections due to the lack luster sales in the past quarter and this type of sentiment from the consumer should have them concerned about their future sales. Especially when other companies like HTC announced record profits.

I currently have and use the 8330 and am looking for a replacement. I need a phone with a larger screen and absolutely need to have solid internet speeds. 3G is fine but would prefer 4G. So far, the only choice I have with RIM products on Verizon network is the Storm 2 which is 2 years old and and cannot be upgraded. Since I have 5 active lines on my account with Verizon, I cannot afford switch to another carrier just for a better phone.

'If RIM does not come out with a new phone real soon, I'll...'

The statement above is not a threat, it's reality! I am buying a new phone this month or early June and I'm seriously considering one of the newest Android phones since there is NO competing products from RIM.

My wife who has a Storm 2 is looking at upgrading her phone by September. And guess what? If RIM has no competing phones by that time, that'll be the second sale lost from my account. My oldest daughter has an 8330 as well and she too will be upgrading this upcoming fall. And guess what? HTC is looking good!

RIM Should seriously be concerned!
    05-05-11 01:32 PM
    There is some cause for concern.

But you also have to realize that when RIM records back to back record profits quarter after quarter, nobody cares... Stock price doesn't usually even reflect it, analysts don't really change their minds. Users still *****.

Then when something bad happens for RIM, all of the above goes crazy... It's a one way street. It would make ZERO difference in the opinions of most of the people doing the complaining if RIM had record sales yet again...
    RJMullins likes this.
    05-05-11 01:38 PM
    Btw, cause for concern for any company that has to go through an entire product + OS transition is kind of a duh...

M$ + WP7 was no different. Palm was no different.
    05-05-11 01:42 PM
    I'm cool with August...since that's when I'm officially up for an upgrade. I was kinda hoping that I'd have a couple of months or so actually to read from early adopters about build quality and performance before I decide to jump onboard...and I might still wait until September/October.

But, it looks promising...
    05-05-11 02:30 PM
    The cause of concern should be how long will users agree to buy devices that will be unsupported within a year.

The media and investors haven't caught on to RIM's shenanigans in this area yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-05-11 02:58 PM
    Actually, RIM should be aware and seriously concerned of that sentiment or threat as you put it. They have just lowered their sales projections due to the lack luster sales in the past quarter and this type of sentiment from the consumer should have them concerned about their future sales. Especially when other companies like HTC announced record profits.
    You should probably refrain from commenting on business aspects if you don't actually understand them. They had one of their best quarters ever so the lowered projection had nothing to do with previous sales and if you look at the amount they reduced their projections for the next quarter it seems fairly obvious that their new devices have been delayed for a few weeks so that is less time for their sales to contribute to the next quarter, as shown by them leaving the yearly projections exactly as they were.

RIM Should seriously be concerned!
    I wish people would learn that anecdote is not the singular of data, for every example of people leaving blackberry for another device there are clearly more stories of people moving to them since they are still growing.
    05-05-11 03:51 PM
    The cause of concern should be how long will users agree to buy devices that will be unsupported within a year.

The media and investors haven't caught on to RIM's shenanigans in this area yet.
    That isn't actually true though, as carriers still keep rolling out updated versions of os6 it seems fairly obvious that even though phones are not getting an os7 that would be mostly useless to them since they do not have all the new hardware to benefit, they are still getting new software and are still getting updated versions of other rim apps as well.

Looking at what we know of os7, the main thing to stand out as being suitable for older devices would be the panel management thing since there's no real reason for older devices not to get that feature, but other than that most stuff is hw related.
    05-05-11 03:55 PM
    Actually Android OS device manufacturers are more guilty of this than RIM.
    05-05-11 04:02 PM

despite the sheer number of people ******** on this front, what you said is factually wrong and misleading and I will go and correct this right now:

RIM did NOT say they would stop issuing patches to fix known OS6 issues.

the decision is akin to saying machines running windows xp will not be able to upgrade to windows 7 because MS decided that it wasn't backwards-compatible. whereas the truth is that the hardware simply cannot run W7 adequately, thus making it ineligible for an OS upgrade.

people need to understand that patches and OS upgrades are two separate issues
    05-05-11 04:46 PM
    RIM needs to go hire a couple Android software engineers to help get the products to market.

It amazes me that once RIM gives the phone to Verizon or ATT and they test for 30 - 90 days, we still get buggy phones. Then again, I say the same thing about my CAD programs. I even beta test for free.
    05-05-11 05:04 PM
    despite the sheer number of people ******** on this front, what you said is factually wrong and misleading and I will go and correct this right now:

RIM did NOT say they would stop issuing patches to fix known OS6 issues.

the decision is akin to saying machines running windows xp will not be able to upgrade to windows 7 because MS decided that it wasn't backwards-compatible. whereas the truth is that the hardware simply cannot run W7 adequately, thus making it ineligible for an OS upgrade.

people need to understand that patches and OS upgrades are two separate issues
    Name a single device predating OS6 that is now running OS6 acceptably well as RIM promised.

The 9800, 9780 and 9670 debuted with OS6, will never see OS7.

The future of the 9900 and 9930 WRT QNX is unknown.

Google is getting flak for Android fragmentation, but it's nowhere near as bad as with RIM. And no one is reporting on it.

Last edited by synthmole; 05-05-11 at 05:25 PM.
    05-05-11 05:19 PM

How come I still get OS updates for my OLD 9700 then? Even Apple and other companies will stop updating their older devices at one point. There is a limit to what a company can do to make their customers happy. No company can make every one happy.
    05-05-11 05:49 PM
    Name a single device predating OS6 that is now running OS6 acceptably well as RIM promised.

The 9800, 9780 and 9670 debuted with OS6, will never see OS7.

The future of the 9900 and 9930 WRT QNX is unknown.

Google is getting flak for Android fragmentation, but it's nowhere near as bad as with RIM. And no one is reporting on it.

Can you explain how RIM has fragmentation problems worse than Android?
    05-05-11 05:54 PM
    How come I still get OS updates for my OLD 9700 then? Even Apple and other companies will stop updating their older devices at one point. There is a limit to what a company can do to make their customers happy. No company can make every one happy.
    Please, share with us which magical OS6 release works on your 9700.

05-05-11 05:57 PM
    am i missing something? because you backed up what I said.

honestly, i'd like a device that can run my regular apps and tasks without lag. what's the point of upgrading to the newest OS if it makes your device feel like it's powered by hamsters?

I forget the details of a recent lawsuit a bunch of iPhone 3G were joining up with because apple allowed them to upgrade to iOS4 and crippled their devices because the hardware couldn't handle it. this is EXACTLY what would happen if 684mhz OS6 devices were to run OS7.

Please, share with us which magical OS6 release works on your 9700.
    i can't figure out if you're playing dumb or you're actively ignoring what I just explained in my post. he clearly meant updates for OS5. he never said he was OS6 on his phone
    Last edited by sg8330; 05-05-11 at 06:06 PM.
    05-05-11 06:03 PM
133 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD