I am the proud owner of my very first BlackBerry a 9900 running stock Vodafone .296

Having followed various threads over the past few weeks I have finally plucked up courage to attempt an update to .474 but am worried that I might end up "bricking" my phone.

I have read various links detailing how to update an O/S but each set of instructions seems to have a slight variation as to what best to do.

Could you guys out there who seem to be able to do this as second nature please recommend an "Idiots Guide" for the first time updater.

Thanks to all in anticipation.
    11-03-11 01:20 PM
    Just follow RIM's own OS update instructions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-03-11 03:42 PM
    I was in a similar place to you a couple of weeks ago, I found CB's 101 guide pretty straightforward.

How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) | CrackBerry.com
    11-03-11 03:44 PM
    There is no right and wrong method, and there are sooo many ways to do it. Just try a few and pick which one suits you best.

I personally never wipe, never use AppLoader, and never remove previous OS versions... but many will say that's wrong

I just download and install the OS to my PC, shrink with BBHybrids Tool which automatically removes the vendor file (I'm on a 32bit system so only ever get the one file), manually remove some other bits, switch off my internet connection, hook up the phone, open DM, and update. Simple as, and works every time.

I always backup my data and 3rd party apps first, just in case, but have never needed to use these as DM automatically reloads the apps and backs up & restores my data during the process.

ThatsAngel likes this.
    11-03-11 03:56 PM
    There is no right and wrong method, and there are sooo many ways to do it. Just try a few and pick which one suits you best.

I personally never wipe, never use AppLoader, and never remove previous OS versions... but many will say that's wrong

I just download and install the OS to my PC, shrink with BBHybrids Tool which automatically removes the vendor file (I'm on a 32bit system so only ever get the one file), manually remove some other bits, switch off my internet connection, hook up the phone, open DM, and update. Simple as, and works every time.

I always backup my data and 3rd party apps first, just in case, but have never needed to use these as DM automatically reloads the apps and backs up & restores my data during the process.

Well, that's an awesome new one for me. I'll try that with the next 9930 OS.
    11-03-11 04:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD