Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Get the 9900.

13 65.00%
  • Wait for July and see if BBX is out.

3 15.00%
  • Get an Android.

4 20.00%
    I have a 9780 with T-Mobile US. I'm eligible for a partial (small) discount on a new phone, with contract extension. I'll be eligible for a full discount in July. I could possibly beg and get the full discount now, since I've been with Tmo since 2003. You never know.

I use my phone for reading and writing emails, reading and writing in web forums and blogs, checking RSS feeds, listening to podcasts, reading Kindle books, and the occasional phone call! But I'd say that the bulk of my use comes under the heading of "reading and writing". I take photos too. I check Facebook and Twitter once in a while, but these apps only update when I open them; I don't have them refreshing all day.

It's important to me to have to charge my phone just once a day, when I go to bed.

I've been wanting a bigger screen for some time. Doesn't have to be huge, but a little bigger would be nice. I use the physical keyboard to the max, in conjunction with auto-text, so my typing speed, even on the 9780, is pretty good. I use the BB Kindle app a lot, but wish it supported highlighting and annotation, like the iOS and Android apps. On the other hand, it's easy enough to keep my Upvise notebook open and annotate there, and have the notes available on other platforms when needed. And at least the BB app supports bookmarking. Other apps I use include: QuickLaunch, PageOnce, Wells Fargo, eBay, Google Maps, BeeJive, Secret Server, Go Reader, BeWeather.

I have a PlayBook 16GB.

I'm frankly concerned that the BB app ecosystem is in decline. But maybe I'm wrong about that.

So my choices are to get a 9900 now, wait until July and see what's out then, or cut the cord and go to Android. I in fact tried an Android device for a week, and thought it was pretty good, but could not have confidence in the battery life, even after following all the standard battery conservation advice. Also, even though I got to be pretty good with Swype, I know I can't match what I can do with the BB keyboard, for text entry speed and accuracy.

So those are the choices. I'm posting here because I want to hear from people who are have some experience with the 9900. I'm aware of the bricking possibility, and that I'll need to upgrade the OS to get good battery life. I've also read through all the threads about the camera and auto-focus, and I've decided it's not an issue for me. For the few times when I need to take close-up photos, the Back UP and Zoom workaround is fine.

I'm not keen on these kinds of threads myself, but I'm very interested to see what people have to say--especially people who have bought the 9900.
    11-25-11 09:49 AM
    I don't think you need any more convincing about getting the 9900.. ..so what are you waiting for?? Enjoy your 9900 like I have with mine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-11 10:03 AM
    Battery is dissapointing!
    11-25-11 10:06 AM
    Yours might be but mine is fine on .540

It is impossible to generalise battery life as good bad or average, each to his own ...
    11-25-11 10:08 AM
    I had the HTC Thunderbolt. I really like Android but the battery on it wasn't good. I had to get the extended battery to make it through a day. It made the device way to heavy and big. That's why I traded it for a BlackBerry.

Having said that, you can root Android devices and get way better battery life. I couldn't because I didn't own a computer at the time. Plus, I don't want to tinker with my phones, I just want them to work.

Other Android devices get good battery life though. HTC is notoriously bad. If I go Android again, it will be a Samsung Galaxy Nexus with the built in battery. Thin and light!

11-25-11 10:23 AM
    I had the HTC Thunderbolt. I really like Android but the battery on it wasn't good. I had to get the extended battery to make it through a day. It made the device way to heavy and big. That's why I traded it for a BlackBerry.

Having said that, you can root Android devices and get way better battery life. I couldn't because I didn't own a computer at the time. Plus, I don't want to tinker with my phones, I just want them to work.

Other Android devices get good battery life though. HTC is notoriously bad. If I go Android again, it will be a Samsung Galaxy Nexus with the built in battery. Thin and light!

I almost got my son the Thunderbolt - pretty sad when the Verizon rep tells you to stay away from it.

I have to admit I do like the larger screen and the way it integrates with social apps and such. I have (had) a 9930 and this one has bit the dust as well.......red light anyone?
    11-25-11 10:35 AM
    Spelling is disappointing!
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    11-25-11 10:36 AM
    Yours might be but mine is fine on .540

It is impossible to generalise battery life as good bad or average, each to his own ...
    I don't own a 9900 yet, and to be honest the battery is the reason why im a little apprehensive (and the bricking). it's just that majority of the people i know and most posts about it here concerning battery isn't too good. the question is, how well is the battery life after the OS update?anything 60% better or more would be acceptable
    11-25-11 10:51 AM
    After 7 hours since turning fully charged phone on i'm at 91% with light use today on .540
    11-25-11 11:00 AM
    I don't own a 9900 yet, and to be honest the battery is the reason why im a little apprehensive (and the bricking). it's just that majority of the people i know and most posts about it here concerning battery isn't too good. the question is, how well is the battery life after the OS update?anything 60% better or more would be acceptable
    I'm a heavy user. About 1 hour phone call a day, bbm, groups, 6 email boxes. Before the upgrade, I get around 6 hours, then a dead phone. Now after OS .503 -> .540
    I get around 11 hours minimum. So yeah its good now. Its the single biggest problem before. Now its good.
    11-25-11 11:06 AM
    double post. sorry.
    11-25-11 11:12 AM
    OP, it seems you are in between the cracks of the 9900 now or the new BBX phones, it doesn't seem to me that Android is the way to go, you've already seen that for yourself, battery and typing with your usage don't match up.

From all that I've read and my gut feeling is that the BB ecosystem is on the verge of blasting into action, with the major 2.0 playbook update in Feb and the new BBX phones, which are being made to run solidly & to be a perfect partner to the PB, it does take a small measure of courage to wait it out for something relatively unknown, but if you love BB already and aren't in a 'real' need now, then I'd advise to hold on to your current phone, and then get the BBX phone when it drops (plus you'll have a better carrier discount)

As much as I love my 9900, and I whole heartily recommend it, based on what you've said and need, I'd say wait for a little bit, and the worst that can happen is that you change devices later anyway with a better discount?

Hope my ramblings make sense & help?
    11-25-11 11:31 AM
    I almost got my son the Thunderbolt - pretty sad when the Verizon rep tells you to stay away from it.

I have to admit I do like the larger screen and the way it integrates with social apps and such. I have (had) a 9930 and this one has bit the dust as well.......red light anyone?
    I loved so much about the Thunderbolt! I was kinda sad when I shipped it out today. the UI was so fast and smooth, amazing screen and great browser. I just wish the stock battery was better.

11-25-11 11:40 AM
    Thanks to all for the votes and comments. I think cracked berry has summed up the case against Android pretty well: it doesn't match up with my usage patterns, which typically include a few hundred words a day of typing. Watching videos, an activity that would really work best on a typical Android screen, is something I almost never do.

To make it more interesting, I phoned Tmo today to dicker about pricing, and was able to get them down to $267 for the 9900, which is pretty good. I think they must be desperate to hang onto customers, and they're going to keep making money on me anyway.

So I ordered the 9900. I won't sell the 9780 till I'm confident that it's working for me. Being able to use it as a remote keyboard for the PB eventually is another perk.

I'll be keeping an eye on the thread about the new OS for the 9900 that just dropped.

Thanks again for the input.
    11-25-11 03:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD