Alright, my wife needs a phone. She loves my iPhone 4 so I will give it to her and since I badly want a change and spanking new phone I have decided to go Blackberry.

I have used the iPhone since it was introduced. I have never used a Blackberry. I played around with the Bold touch at the BestBuy and well, it was different to say the least. I like the keyboard even tough with the iPhone I could msg while driving (guilty!) with one hand I doubt I will be able to do that with the Blackberry.

My worry is:

1) The future of RIM
    2) The recent outage (i agree everyone has a glitch every once in a while)
    3) The new platforms. I dont want to be stuck with a dated phone in a month or two.

Also, those who have made the transition from a iPhone 4 to a Blackberry, what are your thoughts? Is it a smooth transition?
    10-18-11 12:37 PM
    I'm glad you won't be able to message while driving if you switch.
    anon(4021844) and 3migo like this.
    10-18-11 12:49 PM
    Alright, my wife needs a phone. She loves my iPhone 4 so I will give it to her and since I badly want a change and spanking new phone I have decided to go Blackberry.

I have used the iPhone since it was introduced. I have never used a Blackberry. I played around with the Bold touch at the BestBuy and well, it was different to say the least. I like the keyboard even tough with the iPhone I could msg while driving (guilty!) with one hand I doubt I will be able to do that with the Blackberry.

My worry is:

1) The future of RIM
    2) The recent outage (i agree everyone has a glitch every once in a while)
    3) The new platforms. I dont want to be stuck with a dated phone in a month or two.

Also, those who have made the transition from a iPhone 4 to a Blackberry, what are your thoughts? Is it a smooth transition?
    Ive played with MANY iphones but have never owned one. I can however comment on comming from an android device. If you like apps, netflix, browsing the wed, i dont think BB will be for you. I you like a smaller device with an amazing display and a keyboard, then the BB should be a great fit...

Im glad im in the process of making the switch.
    10-18-11 12:49 PM
    i have both the iphone 4 ( AT&T) and the 9930 ( Verizon).
    and i also carry an iPad 2 everytime.. so the 9930 gets more hands on time vs the iphone 4.
    nothing beats a BlackBerry if we're comparing basic phone features.

One concrete example is push to talk, although not yet available for Verizon 9930, most BlackBerry have it, imagine talking to 50 people all at once.. you know how it works.
    the management of emails is far better in my BlackBerry than on my iphone 4.
    there are times that i took a picture and sent it ( using the iphone) only to find out later that it wasn't sent and it's stuck in the outbox.. that's annoying.
    10-18-11 01:26 PM
    I think u need to sort our ur needs in a phone. Like mentioned above if u use a lot of media apps and browse tons on ur iPhone, BB probably won't suit you. If you message/email and medium use of ur browser, BB is the one.

I used an iPhone before, I got tired of the touchscreen even though I had no problems typing (spell check is a little annoying). But I don't game on my phone nor do I browse tons. I use all aspects of the BB 'smart phone', push email and indication light is awesome .

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-18-11 03:09 PM
    I hope you enjoy your phone OP
    and if you dont like the blackberry you should return it and get the iPhone 4s or you can wait a while to get any of the new mango devices that is windows phone 7.5
    but i hope you enjoy the bb the keyboard of the 990 is amaziing even though i dont have the phone i have used my freinds own
    10-18-11 03:48 PM
    I moved back to blackberry from i4 and am very happy. I miss the i4 but not as much as I missed blackberry when I was with apple

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-11 06:40 PM
    Same thing i tell everyone who is thinking about coming from iphone to blackberry, is get an ipod touch or ipad + BB Bold and you get the best of both worlds.
    mweber67 likes this.
    10-18-11 07:03 PM
    What is it about the iPhone you do not like? As for the future of RIM, no one knows. However, the future of their current smartphone platform is fairly clear, it doesn't have one. It will be around for a while though.

The BIS outage is a failure scenario unique to RIM. The iPhone is not vulnerable to such a failure since iPhones connect straight to the email server. If you used a me.com email address and the iCloud suffered an outage, you would be similarly inconvenienced. If however, you were using yahoo, gmail or any other server, the entire Apple data center could go off line and it wouldn't effect your email delivery (you would have to use SMS instead of iMessage though).
    10-18-11 09:48 PM
    The BIS outage is a failure scenario unique to RIM.

This is true but also take into consideration that the last time and outage of this magnitude happened was 2+ years ago.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-19-11 12:21 AM
    This is true but also take into consideration that the last time and outage of this magnitude happened was 2+ years ago.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    RIM has never had an outage as bad as this most recent one.
    10-19-11 12:25 AM
    Thank you all for your responses. I find on my iPhone that I use the maps and the internet moderately. As far as apps, besides my RBC app, I hardly use any. I will buy the apps, use them a day and then forget about them.

A question re the Bold:

1) When I set up my Google Apps domain email on the Bold will it (1) also download a month's worth of previous emails? (2) Sync the calendar and address book from Google Apps?

2) Can I set up a hotspot or tethering with the Bold?
    10-19-11 01:07 PM
    Thank you all for your responses. I find on my iPhone that I use the maps and the internet moderately. As far as apps, besides my RBC app, I hardly use any. I will buy the apps, use them a day and then forget about them.

A question re the Bold:

1) When I set up my Google Apps domain email on the Bold will it (1) also download a month's worth of previous emails? (2) Sync the calendar and address book from Google Apps?

2) Can I set up a hotspot or tethering with the Bold?
    1.1) No, you will get zero previous emails delivered (unless you are on the new BIS). Also if you delete or read an email on your desktop computer or other device (or web browser), it will take the Bold about 12 hours to sync up. The reverse is immediate.

1.2) Yes it will sync. However syncing the google contacts OTA will not work well. Your addresses will become mangled and your contacts may become duplicated. I gave up and switched to USB syncing for contacts (OTA for Calendar). Calendar syncing worked most of the time but I learned to make calendar changes on my Blackberry.
    10-19-11 01:31 PM
    Blackberrys are no where near as polished or sophisticated as an iPhone (or android, or WP7). BIS/BES is legacy technology that should be avoided.
    10-19-11 01:44 PM
    Blackberrys are no where near as polished or sophisticated as an iPhone (or android, or WP7). BIS/BES is legacy technology that should be avoided.
    BES works quite well and offers advantages EAS does not. BIS OTOH is complete garbage (except for BBM).
    10-19-11 01:46 PM
    +1, The iPhone 4/s is a very polished smartphone.
    10-19-11 01:50 PM
    Hmm, I really appreciate the honest opinions here. Email being synced two way instantly is what I am used to for the past four years so. If the new Blackberry can't sync OTA contacts and Calender seemlessly and if email sync read/unread/deleted don't show up instantly in this day and age, I will have to wait until RIM fixes these issues. Thanks again.
    10-19-11 01:54 PM
    Hmm, I really appreciate the honest opinions here. Email being synced two way instantly is what I am used to for the past four years so. If the new Blackberry can't sync OTA contacts and Calender seemlessly and if email sync read/unread/deleted don't show up instantly in this day and age, I will have to wait until RIM fixes these issues. Thanks again.
    RIM is unlikely to fix these issues anytime soon. There is a work around though, hosted BESX connected to a google account. A few vendors offer it for about $10 a month.

Another issue I did not mention is the truncated email problem. If someone sends you a large attachment, you will get an email containing the words "truncated email" and nothing else. My work around was to reach for my iPad and read it on there (activating the 3G if needed).
    10-19-11 02:11 PM
    I don't know much about software releases and such, but did the BIS 4.1 fix the issues such as two way sync and seamless contacts and calender sync?
    10-19-11 02:17 PM
    Get the 9930 and if you don't like it, you can always return it.

There's nothing like the actual experience and immersing yourself in it...
    10-19-11 02:19 PM
    Get the 9930 and if you don't like it, you can always return it.

There's nothing like the actual experience and immersing yourself in it...
    I have been trying out the 9900 at the BestBuy here (Toronto). I like the form factor. I like the keyboard. I like the touch screen. I even like the software UI. But I also want it to work seamlessly. I hate to bring up the iPhone but it worked seamlessly. Sync and all.
    10-19-11 02:29 PM
    I have been trying out the 9900 at the BestBuy here (Toronto). I like the form factor. I like the keyboard. I like the touch screen. I even like the software UI. But I also want it to work seamlessly. I hate to bring up the iPhone but it worked seamlessly. Sync and all.
    I can tell you that the BB sync will not work as well as the iPhone. I just switched from the BB 9700 to the 4s but I was using an iPad in parallel with the 9700. The main reason I changed is because syncing/email on the iPad worked seamlessly and on the Blackberry it did not.
    Last edited by ADGrant; 10-19-11 at 07:41 PM.
    10-19-11 02:49 PM
    I don't know much about software releases and such, but did the BIS 4.1 fix the issues such as two way sync and seamless contacts and calender sync?
    BIS 4.1 will allow larger attachments before truncating and also add the last 20 emails to your BB when setting the account up. No improvements to Google syncing were announced.
    10-19-11 02:51 PM
    The syncing is really odd behavior for some. Doing a search on Crackberry, it works seamlessly and well for only a few users. Most of the users are saying it just doesn't work well or work at all.

Sigh. I really wanted this to work for me as I love the form factor. But if I have to use an iPad along side the Blackberry (the mother of email devices) then RIM has a lot of work to do. I understand if I have a enterprise email account things work smoothly. It's the personal email that is giving everyone fits.
    10-19-11 03:14 PM
    The BlackBerry's preserve - The Bing Blog

It depends on what you need in a device. Just a random link I found. First positive one in a long time so I decided to share.

I always say this, get what you want. It is your money, it is your life; Get what works best for you.
    10-19-11 03:26 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD