I am grandfathered into unlimited data accounts for both AT&T and VZ. I am either buying a 9930 or 9900, and was hoping that I could get some technical advice on which unlimited data network is faster/more reliable/better. I am not asking for subjective opinions, as I live in a big city and travel often for work. Both seem to be ok, just curious if one is worth keeping over the other.
    07-08-11 09:53 AM
    Faster on ATT because of HSPA+ support on the 9900 (4x faster)
    07-08-11 09:55 AM
    I am grandfathered into unlimited data accounts for both AT&T and VZ. I am either buying a 9930 or 9900, and was hoping that I could get some technical advice on which unlimited data network is faster/more reliable/better. I am not asking for subjective opinions, as I live in a big city and travel often for work. Both seem to be ok, just curious if one is worth keeping over the other.
    Don't only look at Speed ( Which WILL BE AT&T) but make sure you can keep your grandfathered plan when switching devices.
    07-08-11 10:07 AM
    For blackberry's it doesnt even matter, all data is sent to RIM's BIS servers to be compressed and sent back to your phone anyway, so the time you end up waiting most of the time, is simply waiting for their servers to process the data.

Aside from bandwidth congestion on a network, speeds today wont vary much from carrier to carrier when using a BlackBerry.
    07-08-11 10:53 AM
    For blackberry's it doesnt even matter, all data is sent to RIM's BIS servers to be compressed and sent back to your phone anyway, so the time you end up waiting most of the time, is simply waiting for their servers to process the data.

Aside from bandwidth congestion on a network, speeds today wont vary much from carrier to carrier when using a BlackBerry.
    That is true. OTOH AT&T can do simultaneous voice and data.
    07-08-11 11:12 AM
    if ATT dubs the new set of BBs as 4G then i think they will make you step away from your grandfathered unlimited data plan, what i plan to do is wait till the phones are released go to best buy where i can compare all 4 (3) carriers at once and make a choice based on price and coverage, i doubt verizon they are tierd just like att, so it will either be stick with ATT or move to Sprint... something i never thought i would even think about
    07-08-11 12:32 PM
    I honestly would go with cheaper and worry about speed some other time. Like deRuss said above, make sure you stay grandfathered when switching devices. They love to dump old plans in a heartbeat.
    07-08-11 12:53 PM
    I thought you were allowed to upgrade without losing your unlimited plan even on 4G. I would go for AT&T for a few reasons 1) resale value (GSM devices tend to hold value longer), 2) flexibilty, you can switch phones much easier, 3) the "4G" (3.5G) speeds on AT&T, and 4) GSM networks allow for simultaneous data and voice. But you do get wider 3G coverage with Verizon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-11 12:53 PM
    just seems that all the carriers are playing dirty these days, and i will keep my unlimited plan if i am able... ive been with ATT (cingular) since 2002, id rather not switch carriers but eh as a consumer i must do what i feel i need to, to get the services that best fit my needs w/lowest price
    07-08-11 01:04 PM

Does this apply when tethering as well?
    07-08-11 01:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD