Oh of course it can be done, the only thing is though. Companies usually do not do that, unless they want to spur sales.

You see similar trends in video games as well. When a system comes out first, everyone picks it up, then when sales start to slide a bit, you see different colors come out. Very popular with portables such as the Gameboy/DS line.

BB recently did it with the torch, releasing red and white versions and slashing the cost at the same time. I personally want a blue one, white is nice, but I feel mine will look very grimy very fast
    03-07-11 08:30 AM
    It's funny... somehow I fell off posting in the forums on a regular basis, but I've found myself getting re-addicted to the CB forums again this week. It is the best community on the net. With PlayBook coming and Bold Touch hopefully not far behind, I'm just excittttted these days.

Oh, and I just thanked you. Now you should feel double honored! lol
    Glad to see you posting again.
    03-07-11 08:30 AM
    It's funny... somehow I fell off posting in the forums on a regular basis, but I've found myself getting re-addicted to the CB forums again this week. It is the best community on the net. With PlayBook coming and Bold Touch hopefully not far behind, I'm just excittttted these days.

Oh, and I just thanked you. Now you should feel double honored! lol
    I thought the CEO of CrackBerry was Shamus McCrackenberry, III?

The Bold Touch is exactly what RIM needs to keep it's loyal fanboy base happy. The back cover, aesthetically pleasing or not, is of little significance on this device. The other updates/improvements such as memory, hotspot capability, faster proc, and touch interface will make the back cover seem unimportant once this is in your hands.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-11 09:06 AM
    Indeed, anyone spending too much time looking at the back of it is holding their phone wrong.
    nutter426 and abass like this.
    03-10-11 11:17 AM
    Who needs to watch a "soap opera" on TV, when days of our lives is right here on CB, 24/7...

Jesus people, jump off the soap boxes!

With that said, I like the pleather look, loll! Oh and feel.

03-12-11 12:07 PM
    Not really a fan of carbon fiber looking back covers... just seems kinda tacky. But if it does come with it, ill be looking to buy an aftermarket faux leather back cover (oem would be nice) just like the 9700/9780 because it feels great in the hand and looks way more sleek. But who cares right? Everyone has their own style of taste in phones...
    03-13-11 03:41 AM
    If the recent photos of the Dakota are accurate, it has a 'carbon effect' on the back - instead of the faux leather of the original Bold 9000.

This would be a big mistake.

The faux leather ensured that the 9000 had good 'grip' in the hand, which is critical for a larger sized keyboard phone. It also ensured the temperature on the skin was neutral rather than cold.

Carbon on the other hand, is both slippery to hold and cold on the skin. In other words, it might look sharp and high tech - but at the visceral level (ie the deep, inner gut level) it doesn't feel as friendly and useable.

I can understand why the Dakota designers may be tempted to put carbon on the back - because they want to differentiate it from the original Bold 9000.

In doing so, however, they are sacrificing the 'tactile attractiveness' of the phone, which is just as important as the 'design attractiveness'.

Let's hope RIM remedies this flaw before the Dakota goes into final production.
    You're a little too late, I think... My friend, who's a T-Mobile assistant manager, told me it's coming in June/July. I would think they'd have finished final production and are testing it out now.
    03-13-11 05:01 AM
    I like the Carbon finish. I doubt it's real carbon fiber anyway.

However I would need the walnut to match my Mercedes Benz and not a Jag.
    In your case, Sir, may I suggest polished stainless steel?
    03-13-11 05:04 AM
    They might even throw in something for the clumsy phone droppers out there. Kevlar .
    Yeah, and it's also bullet-proof.
    03-13-11 05:05 AM

I agree with the OP, look at that.. Its gonna get scratched up within a week of use, plus the leather IS what made the 9000's audio one of the best

I rock all my berry's naked, the statement that a case is like insurance is stupid.. These phones weren't designed to have cases..
    Excellent point... The cases were designed for the phones, not the other way around. I also don't have a case for the phone. It becomes bulky - I hate that.
    03-13-11 05:13 AM
    RIM needs to stop playing with all these designs and make something universal so that we all know what a blackberry looks like! To me, theres nothing as simple and as clean as a Storm 2 backing. Its metal and its as simple as it gets. I think the locking mechanizm needed a bit of work but as far as outward astedics go, again, theres nothing better than a clean and simple look.

Follow apples lead in this one.... Less is sometimes more!
    03-14-11 08:24 AM
    You just contradicted yourself. And hence, that is why RIM uses so many styles of phones and backs, and keyboard options.
    03-16-11 10:30 AM
    I think I'll go with either the puppy ear or maybe an option for a massaging material...so your hand won't cramp up on those long phone calls.
    03-16-11 04:08 PM
    RIM needs to stop playing with all these designs and make something universal so that we all know what a blackberry looks like! To me, theres nothing as simple and as clean as a Storm 2 backing. Its metal and its as simple as it gets. I think the locking mechanizm needed a bit of work but as far as outward astedics go, again, theres nothing better than a clean and simple look.

Follow apples lead in this one.... Less is sometimes more!
    All BlackBerries must look the same. I am a robot. I must assimilate.

poloandpearls likes this.
    03-18-11 01:17 AM
    just buy a faux-leather cover from sw-box.com for 10 bucks... Everyone is happy now!
    04-15-11 11:58 AM
    I'm sure the carbon fiber backing will look a lot better in person. Not to mention, in that picture it looks like there is a plastic film over it, when you peal that off it may look like GOD. Just chillax, at least wait until the phone comes out to complain. I had many problems with minor details on the 9650 when I was watching it like a hawk before its release and guess what? The day it came out in the store, i looked at it and said "OMFG TAKE MY $200 AND EXTEND MY CONTRACT RIGHT NOW!"

Those of you who are angry about it, just wait. I am going to laugh when you actually fall in love with the CF backing [;

And it was mentioned by everyone too that you can always buy a different cover.

KEVIN I HATE YOU (but not really of course) I wasn't thinking about the WHITE bold touch AT ALL... GAHHH Now I don't know what to do! IM GONNA ESPLODE!!!!!
    04-15-11 01:04 PM
    I'm sure the carbon fiber backing will look a lot better in person. Not to mention, in that picture it looks like there is a plastic film over it, when you peal that off it may look like GOD. Just chillax, at least wait until the phone comes out to complain. I had many problems with minor details on the 9650 when I was watching it like a hawk before its release and guess what? The day it came out in the store, i looked at it and said "OMFG TAKE MY $200 AND EXTEND MY CONTRACT RIGHT NOW!"

Those of you who are angry about it, just wait. I am going to laugh when you actually fall in love with the CF backing [;

And it was mentioned by everyone too that you can always buy a different cover.

KEVIN I HATE YOU (but not really of course) I wasn't thinking about the WHITE bold touch AT ALL... GAHHH Now I don't know what to do! IM GONNA ESPLODE!!!!!

Regardless of whether it's coming with pleather or pcarbon fiber (I'd be satisfied with either), they still need to throw some pchroooooome on this sucker! Something similar to the chrome piece surrounding the camera lens and flash on the 9000 is sorely lacking on this device IMO. Obviously what we've seen is not likely to be akin to the final product, but if it is, that one little measly line of shine atop an all black backside ain't going to do it any justice.
    04-15-11 03:02 PM
    And you SHOULD get a case. It would be akin to having a car with no insurance.

The back is one of the least important designs...as long as it looks like a blackberry from the front thats what matters. Don't you hold your phone..from the back? When are you looking at the back of your phone? Who looks at the backs of phones? Why is this even a topic?
    Just thought I would point out that a bb without a case is not like having a car without insurance. It would be like having a car and not putting an ugly bra on the front, grille guards, light guards, mudflaps, protective rustproofing,etc. Point is that having a case doesn't mean you get a new device if you drop it and run over it with your lawnmower. Having insurance on your phone is like having insurance on your car. A phone case is like a car bra.

Many, many bb users I see wear their devices on a belt clip holster, so I can see why back design would be important to some.
    04-15-11 03:54 PM
    Just thought I would point out that a bb without a case is not like having a car without insurance. It would be like having a car and not putting an ugly bra on the front, grille guards, light guards, mudflaps, protective rustproofing,etc. Point is that having a case doesn't mean you get a new device if you drop it and run over it with your lawnmower. Having insurance on your phone is like having insurance on your car. A phone case is like a car bra.

Many, many bb users I see wear their devices on a belt clip holster, so I can see why back design would be important to some.
    You put that very well compared to others.. I mean honestly it's as easy as that.. getting a car without car insurance is just like getting a phone without phone insurance.. A case is in no way "insurance" from that perspective. People are thinking too much into this.
    04-15-11 06:13 PM
    In the non physical sense, they are the same, they protect your investment.

Ergo, so much melodrama has been spoken of on this casing, one would think that it lowers signal, rapidly overheats the battery to the point of explosion, or carries aids. But it does none of those. Once this phone comes out all these silly complaints will drop while more positive points will come out.

Theres really not much to say until June
    04-19-11 03:12 AM
    And velvet for all those George Costanza fans.
    And a spongy material for the Elaine Bennis fans.
    04-19-11 08:32 AM
    And a spongy material for the Elaine Bennis fans.
    No spongy material, but Elaine Benes fans get an awesome video of her dancing .
    Last edited by raskal1130; 04-19-11 at 09:17 AM.
    04-19-11 08:53 AM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD