Here is my situation. I got a current 2 year iPhone grandfathered unlimited data plan with AT&T. I got one year remaining on it. Now I'm bored of my iPhone and want to make a switch to the blackberry bold 9900. I went over a few threads on this forum and some of the threads mention that if I were to buy a blackberry bold 9900/9930 from a US carrier the 3G would not work and the only way to make the 3G work is by buying an Rogers BB 9900. Now I'm willing to do that. Now, I'm wondering if the Rogers non contract $600 Blackberry bold 9900 is unlocked or will i have to unlock it? Also, is the above solution viable or is there any other solution. I want to keep my current unlimited data plan of at&t and make use of blackberry services bbm etc.

Any help would be appreciated
    Thank You!
    Last edited by beeebee; 09-14-11 at 09:57 PM.
    09-14-11 09:55 PM
    Buying from Rogers is your best route. They do not come unlocked, but this can be done for next to nothing. I got my unlock code on ebay for $1.
    09-14-11 09:58 PM
    You would need to get it unlocked. There are several good unlockers that I've used.

HorizonWirelessOnline.com and CellUnlock.net

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-14-11 09:59 PM
    thank you , but will i be able to continue with my unlimited at&t data plan and use bb services?
    09-14-11 10:00 PM
    I'm afraid not. Maybe in store you can sweet talk an employee? Lol.

The plans have to be switched. If you were staying with an iPhone, you could continue with your unlimited plan. This is the main reason I never put a BlackBerry on my main line as that's the only one grandfathered with unlimited. I usually use my other devices (Atrix 4G, Inspire 4G, Focus) on that line as it uses the same plan (although they call it an iPhone data plan).
    09-14-11 10:02 PM
    I just switched from the iP4 to the 9900 (Thinking about switching back lol)

Anyway, the 9900 was working under the iPhone data since I put the micro sim in the 9900. The catch is you cannot get access to email. Browser was working...I couldn't activate my email. So, I ended up switching to a bb plan.

Like dude said above.....unlocking is pretty easy. Your going to need to switch to a BB plan to get full access on the 9900......
    09-14-11 10:03 PM
    so in other words i will have to pay a penalty for breaking contract and starting a new blackberry one? hmm this doesn't sound as easy as i thought

i wish i knew when the new iPhone was being released it would make decisions a lot easier
    09-14-11 10:10 PM
    so in other words i will have to pay a penalty for breaking contract and starting a new blackberry one? hmm this doesn't sound as easy as i thought

i wish i knew when the new iPhone was being released it would make decisions a lot easier

No... you won't have to pay a penalty. You just won't get unlimited. Your plan will be $5 less and you would only get 2GB of data instead of unlimited.

All rumors are pointing towards next month.
    09-14-11 10:26 PM
    okay perfect thank you. i think i should just wait for a month and then decide.
    09-15-11 12:02 AM
    Blackberries use far less data than iPhones. What's your monthly usage average right now? I found that 2GB/month is plenty for me. I hitch to wifi everywhere I can and rarely surpass 350MB/month. Unless you are tethering or streaming constantly, you should be fine with 2GB/ month. Definitely haggle to try to keep what you have, but be aware you might save some $$$ without really limiting your activities.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-11 12:10 AM
    okay perfect thank you. i think i should just wait for a month and then decide.
    Great. Enjoy what ever device you choose
    09-15-11 12:11 AM
    my usage isn't that much <500mb/month, most of the time wifi is connected so i really do not mind losing the unlimited data. The problem is I'm getting bad signal issues with my iPhone so i need to change my cell asap. but now that the new iPhone is coming out in october i don't really know what to do . if i get the blackberry i don't want to regret it a month later. i don't want to end up switching to iPhone 5 a month later and again renewing my plan. thank you Duvi, rrrebo and others
    09-15-11 12:26 AM
    Here is my situation. I got a current 2 year iPhone grandfathered unlimited data plan with AT&T. I got one year remaining on it. Now I'm bored of my iPhone and want to make a switch to the blackberry bold 9900. I went over a few threads on this forum and some of the threads mention that if I were to buy a blackberry bold 9900/9930 from a US carrier the 3G would not work and the only way to make the 3G work is by buying an Rogers BB 9900. Now I'm willing to do that. Now, I'm wondering if the Rogers non contract $600 Blackberry bold 9900 is unlocked or will i have to unlock it? Also, is the above solution viable or is there any other solution. I want to keep my current unlimited data plan of at&t and make use of blackberry services bbm etc.

Any help would be appreciated
    Thank You!
    You're bored with the Iphone so you are getting a blackberry? Wow.
    21stNow likes this.
    09-15-11 06:30 AM
    You could always wait until a release date is set, then try the Blackberry, making sure that the i5 release date is within your buyer's remorse period. You can return your BB and get the i5 on exchange. Or wait until the i5 is released and try them both. Check to make sure what the return period is. I think AT&T has dropped it to 14 days.

09-15-11 06:51 AM
    You're bored with the Iphone so you are getting a blackberry? Wow.
    You never get that feeling before? When I use something for a long time no matter how good it is, I get bored. I recently switched from android. As I only use gmail, aside from the keyboard, there's nothing the blackberry does better than android. The gmail integration and syncing was better, the apps were better, the screen size was larger, etc. But you know what? I have used android for 2 years, and I'm so bored of it, I can't stand a single minute of it any longer. That's why I went out and got a blackberry because I've never used a blackberry before. Even though it does less, some change once in a while is refreshing. So yea, call me crazy
    beeebee likes this.
    09-15-11 07:46 AM
    Great. Enjoy what ever device you choose
    y'know secretly, we're all hoping that he makes the right choice...
    09-15-11 07:52 AM
    I'm switching from iPhone 4 to 9900 today also. Bought 9900 off of eBay yesterday and receiving today. I was also bored with the iPhone, but mainly am tired of typing on glass.

09-15-11 08:06 AM
    I've switched between iPhone's and BB's unlimited data plans and got to keep my status...
    09-15-11 08:19 AM
    I bought one already unlocked off ebay, it's a Telus phone, but its unbranded. Got it for about $670, couldn't be happier

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-15-11 08:36 AM
    This is my 3rd time to switch between the 2 platforms also. I usually get the itch about once a year

09-15-11 08:37 AM
    I have gone from 3g to 9700 to ip4 to 9800 to ip4 and now im plannong to go to 9900 an this has been over less than two year period

09-15-11 08:43 AM
    You never get that feeling before? When I use something for a long time no matter how good it is, I get bored. I recently switched from android. As I only use gmail, aside from the keyboard, there's nothing the blackberry does better than android. The gmail integration and syncing was better, the apps were better, the screen size was larger, etc. But you know what? I have used android for 2 years, and I'm so bored of it, I can't stand a single minute of it any longer. That's why I went out and got a blackberry because I've never used a blackberry before. Even though it does less, some change once in a while is refreshing. So yea, call me crazy
    Of course I do. My rationalization is not because Im bored. Its because I miss the simplicity, keyboard and battery life. Saying Im bored with the Iphone and going back to blackberry is like saying Im bored with my Playstation 3 so Im going back to Atari.

I switch back to my blackberry because sometimes I think I spend too much time messing with my Iphone.
    09-15-11 08:56 AM
    playing fruit ninja and angry birds is addictive can't deny that. Also i'll still need the iPhone for beemer music integration so i can't dispose it altogether lol
    09-16-11 02:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD