Ok - so I'm out of contract and can drop AT&T if I want w/ no penalty, but do have unlimited data with them. I have a playbook that I use and do not pay a tethering fee. Nor do I want to, ever.

I live in NYC and AT&T cell service stinks (supposedly compared to Verizon), but AT&T has better data (again, supposedly).

Should I buy the Bell unbranded 9900, and get a verizon cell contract and keep my at&t unlimited data plan, or can't I do both because one is gsm and the other is whatever Verizon uses?

What would you all do if you were me, given my fact pattern I described?

Thanks everyone, appreciate everyone great insight on the awesome site!!
    08-06-11 10:13 PM
    Ok - so I'm out of contract and can drop AT&T if I want w/ no penalty, but do have unlimited data with them. I have a playbook that I use and do not pay a tethering fee. Nor do I want to, ever.

I live in NYC and AT&T cell service stinks (supposedly compared to Verizon), but AT&T has better data (again, supposedly).

Should I buy the Bell unbranded 9900, and get a verizon cell contract and keep my at&t unlimited data plan, or can't I do both because one is gsm and the other is whatever Verizon uses?

What would you all do if you were me, given my fact pattern I described?

Thanks everyone, appreciate everyone great insight on the awesome site!!

Can't work that way

CDMA devices are locked to the Carrier and can't be unlocked,
    Bell WILL be launching the 9900 because Bell is banking on it's HSPA+ network for Data speeds.
    Verizon is CDMA based with LTE for highspeed data, if you don't get an LTE device then AT&T is the next fastest with HSPA+ Tmobile also has this technology both are calling it 4G I think.

you can buy a Bell Bold and bring it to AT&T but not to Verizon
    08-06-11 10:18 PM
    Thanks deRusett -you are awesome btw...

So that means I can buy the Bell and use it on AT&T because both are gsm carriers, but if I want to use what I think you are telling me is the fastest data in NYC (Verizon) plus their best cell service too, I should switch to Verizon.. Only downside is that bc they are cdma and cant be unlocked I have to wait for them to release the 9930, right?

Does Verizon charge for tethering, you know or is there a work around like many of us are using to bridge to their playbooks?

Thanks!
    08-06-11 10:27 PM
    Sorry -doesnt AT&T also let you talk as use data at the same time, while Verizon doesn't? Recall an add of AT&T's hyping that... Anyone see that as an issue if you work remotely using a cell and a playbook at same time?
    08-06-11 10:30 PM

So that means I can buy the Bell and use it on AT&T because both are gsm carriers, but if I want to use what I think you are telling me is the fastest data in NYC (Verizon) plus their best cell service too, I should switch to Verizon.. Only downside is that bc they are cdma and cant be unlocked I have to wait for them to release the 9930, right?

Does Verizon charge for tethering, you know or is there a work around like many of us are using to bridge to their playbooks?

Thanks!
    actually for Fastest data speeds in the US you actually have to go with an Android Based phone on Verzion

if you wish to Stick to BlackBerry AT&T and t-Mobile are both your only options with 9900's as the 9900 has the HSPA+

your speeds on verizon will be about 20% of that on AT&T because you will be on CDMA 3G which is GSM 2G comparable speeds.

no idea about cost structures and features since I am Canadian.
    08-06-11 10:32 PM

Thanks!
    The 9930 won't be LTE. So slower data than att, but could be more reliable. Verizons BBs can bridge just like att's

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-11 10:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD