I dropped my 9900 from about 3.5 ft onto a street and it cracked the screen. I did some reading and figured that its the digitizer cracked, not the lcd (no lcd bleeding). Now I know these two parts are secured together, but I'm wondering if I can just buy the $15 digitizer and be done with it. I'm doing my best to avoid spending $60 on a new screen.
    04-03-12 02:47 PM
    04-03-12 02:55 PM
    Thanks for the links.

My only worry is that it'll be very difficult to remove the Digitizer from the LCD, and therefore very difficult to put them back together. Can anyone weigh in on this?
    04-04-12 07:47 AM
    My concern would be the annoying dust(s) that could get stuck between the digitizer and the LCD screen.
    04-04-12 08:18 AM
    You could always buy it and take it to someone who does iPhone screens or any other digitizer replacement. Also, the CNN.CN link I believe has a walkthru video (yep - just checked)
    04-04-12 09:47 AM
    You could always buy it and take it to someone who does iPhone screens or any other digitizer replacement. Also, the CNN.CN link I believe has a walkthru video (yep - just checked)
    Strongly considering that, but from the walkthrough videos I've found, it doesn't seem very difficult.

How does the LCD and Digitizer secure to eachother? Just wondering if that will be a difficult process, and if so, is it worth spending the extra $$ to get the LCD w/digitizer or fine without buying the whole new LCD?
    04-04-12 10:09 AM
    Strongly considering that, but from the walkthrough videos I've found, it doesn't seem very difficult.

How does the LCD and Digitizer secure to eachother? Just wondering if that will be a difficult process, and if so, is it worth spending the extra $$ to get the LCD w/digitizer or fine without buying the whole new LCD?
    You may want to do a good search on how they are held together. On the newer iPhones, they started attaching the digitizer to the screen with a 3M product that does not come apart without breaking the LCD. I wouldn't be surprised if the 9900 is assembled the same way. That may be why you seen them sold as an assembly.
    04-04-12 11:42 AM

If you're careful, a digitizer replacement is quite simple. Most digitizers come with a two-sided tape already installed on them so once you remove the piece covering the two-sided tape, you just stick it down.

I've purchased iPhone digitizers in the past to replace them on friends phones and some cheap ones came without two-sided tape - I doubt that will be the case for the 9900 replacement digitizer.

Just make sure before you couple the LCD screen and the digitizer, you do a very thorough cleaning on the face of the LCD and the underside of the digitizer which comes in to contact with the LCD screen to make sure there's no dust or any other junk. And then when you put it together, make sure it's secure so that no crap gets under the digitizer after a bit of use.

Good luck!

EDIT: I forgot to add that what I used rather than the 3M two-sided tape, because it's super thin and hard to find, was carpet tape. It's a pain in the arse to work with, but it does a good job keeping them securely stuck together. The only thing you need to be cautious about is the thickness of the two-sided tape vs. the carpet tape. Then you just have to cut the carpet tape to suit the space required so you have enough coverage.
    Carpet tape from Home Depot
    Last edited by joski; 04-04-12 at 02:11 PM.
    04-04-12 02:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD