Ten Tips and Tricks to Extend your BlackBerry Battery Life!
    I never thought I'd see an article like this for a BlackBerry! Now we have to reduce our screen brightness to its minimum setting and shut down many functions not only to extend battery life but to make battery life just acceptable. I really wish the phone wasn't so slim and RIM had a bigger battery in it. The 1230 mAh for the 9930 with it's larger touchscreen and beefier processor is just bewildering to me.
    The most important things that differentiate (I should use the past tense differentiated) BlackBerry from the other platforms are their keyboards, security and absolutely the battery life. Now it feels like RIM in an effort to make the phones slimmer, lighter and sexier have sacrificed one of their hallmarks. It also looks like RIM may be moving to all touch devices in the future. Am I missing something here? What is RIM doing?
    08-31-11 06:59 PM
    BB's still look very readable and great on the lowest brightness settings and often too bright on the higher settings. So it's not really a complaint and the point is that it extends your battery life REGARDLESS of what type of battery you have in your device.
    DrewDT likes this.
    08-31-11 07:04 PM
    Get over it crybaby
    08-31-11 07:10 PM
    I have my 9000 running on brightness setting of 10 and it still auto adjusts in bright conditions

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    DrewDT likes this.
    08-31-11 07:11 PM
    The smarter the phone the more chargers and batteries you have to keep with you. I have a car charger keep one at home and in my office so it is never really a issue. The artical is just trying to help out IMO.

robby001 and DrewDT like this.
    08-31-11 07:18 PM
    BB's still look very readable and great on the lowest brightness settings and often too bright on the higher settings. So it's not really a complaint and the point is that it extends your battery life REGARDLESS of what type of battery you have in your device.
    Not disputing these tips will extend the battery life it's just that the fact this type of article is needed for these new BB's show (at least to me) that RIM didn't think this through enough. It's unfortunate but life goes on. I will hang on to my Tour for a while longer. I need to know I can rely on my phone on a single charge without having to remember to shutdown everything to give me that minimum expectation.
    08-31-11 07:21 PM
    The smarter the phone the more chargers and batteries you have to keep with you. I have a car charger keep one at home and in my office so it is never really a issue. The artical is just trying to help out IMO.

The article does give useful tips but I shouldn't need to do all these things for my BB to last a work day. It isn't always possible for me to access a charger if I'm out all day in meeting, traveling, etc. I don't want to have to lug around extra batteries, chargers, etc anyway. This isn't really just a case of this being a smarter phone needing more power therefore it won't last all day. It's more of a case of this being a phone needing more power and being given a smaller battery than previous BB's. IMO I don't see how it made sense to design it this way.
    Thank you for the feedback anyway.
    08-31-11 07:25 PM
    I run mine on the lowest and do not have a problem.
    08-31-11 07:26 PM
    I'm still not understanding this. My 9930 is a tank when it comes to battery life. SMH.
    dothadamthang likes this.
    08-31-11 07:41 PM
    I look at it this way, takes about 1-2m to restart the phone after swapping batteries, I can deal with that for a slimmer better phone... for the iPhone users they can't swap theirs out, so if we want something to compete and keep RIM around, I'm willing to sacrifice an extra slim battery in my pocket.
    08-31-11 07:42 PM
    I don't follow any guide for battery life. I want to use my 9900 to its max potential with the highest eye candy and I turn on notifications for everything and auto refresh feeds for BerryReader, BerryWeather, Twitter, and Facebook.

I bought the highest end BB to enjoy it not to live as a slave to the battery. I have a car charger, a USB port to charge at work, and a charger at work

It surprises me how people worry to much about battery life as if we all lived in a desert with no electricity sources around
    soogriff and rick0415 like this.
    08-31-11 07:46 PM
    It amazes me how people complain about the 9930's battery life. I'm satisfied with mine. I wonder what u people would do if u had the battery life of an "android" device???? You all would go crazy!!!!

soogriff likes this.
    08-31-11 07:57 PM
    You all would go crazy!!!!
    Ditto! those people need to carry chargers in their pockets!
    08-31-11 08:06 PM
    Exactly...I carry an extra battery just in case...a simple extra bettery $20-$30 bucks will save u guys from many rants and headaches...battery life??? I have other more important things to worry about.

ladodgersfan88 likes this.
    08-31-11 08:19 PM
    It amazes me how people complain about the 9930's battery life. I'm satisfied with mine. I wonder what u people would do if u had the battery life of an "android" device???? You all would go crazy!!!!

Which is precisely one of the main reasons people choose BlackBerry. It was made for the business person on the go, we could always expect the phone to last the work day for us. Some Android devices actually have a better battery life than the 9930. Sure if you are at a desk with a computer all the time or can plug your phone into a wall socket, the battery life may not be important to you. But if you are on the go, it isn't always feasible to expect to be able to charge your device nor should we be required to carry around extra batteries for a BB to last a day just because RIM wants to move in the direction of style over function.
    It seems like more apologist arguments over what makes sense to me and many others that have been using BB's for a while. The old apologist arguments used to say "at least we can count on our phone to last a couple days, unlike other platforms." Oh well, I still like BB, just not the battery life on a phone I really want to upgrade to. I'm going to wait to see if Seidio can save the day with a higher capacity battery that is the same size as the current one.
    Last edited by DrewDT; 08-31-11 at 08:23 PM.
    slava888 likes this.
    08-31-11 08:19 PM
    Oh believe me I'm always on the go. My business depends on my blackberry. And believe me this phone gives me enough lasted me a whole day...I'm the owner/boss...so u can imagine the many emails/txts/bbm's I get on a daily basis. I have 5 email accounts on my blackberry

08-31-11 08:24 PM
    So far I am very pleased with the battery life. It will only get better as I get beyond the heavy usage of the 'new' smartphone usage mode that I am in right now. Not to mention I am also constantly linked with my playbook as well. At the moment I'm getting 6-7 hours. Once the "newness" factor wears off, I'm absolutely sure the battery life will be just fine to suit my needs. Regardless I will pick up a spare battery for those long flights that I take.

08-31-11 08:36 PM
    one of the big things on this list is not letting apps run in the backround if you are not gonna use them. Since I came from an android phone I am used to having to close apps all the time and really on a blackberry it is not hard press the blackberry button and go to close or exit how hard is that, other than that I do not do any of these battery saving tips, except screen brightness at 5 10 is to high for me. but my blackberry doubles the battery life I had on my droid easily, I not a really heavy user but definatily moderate, and where I am working right now I dont have great signal usually 3-4 bars. yet at the end of the day I still have 30-35% battery life. I send about 150-200 texts a day and spend around an hour on the phone. I use the browser and apps while I am at work around 2-3 hours in total for apps and browser, but I always close them when I am done with them.
    08-31-11 10:33 PM
    I don't ever recall anyone on any blog forum complain about the thickness of a Blackberry. So why make it thin to sacrifice one of it's well know features. My 9700 is 2 years old and I still get 10 hours before charging. I know RIM had to " hit one out of the park" to hold folks from straying or become interested in BB. However I think it would have been a winner still with the same thickness. Now there are people that came from Android seeing that they will get no better battery life. Say what you will, I'm not hearing people on here complaining about the battery lasting until 10 or 11 pm, they're complaining about 6-8 hours in a lot of cases, and rightfully so. I'm not ranting. I just don't want RIM to go out business. I love BB.

08-31-11 10:39 PM
    The article should be nothing new to a lot of people. I'm used to having my BB set at minimum brightness, as well as keeping wifi off, closing unused apps, switching to 2G when necessary, etc. A lot of it is common sense, and is recommended for any phone you purchase, not only the 9900.

08-31-11 10:56 PM
    I'm still not understanding this. My 9930 is a tank when it comes to battery life. SMH.
    Ditto!... I get thru a 12 hour shift daily ... Several short calls,, numerous emails and a bushel of Spam, plus a boat load of BBM's and facebook updates...
    09-01-11 12:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD