Last friday, after waiting 2 years for this 99xx, I couldn't stand the dull forever wait and bought the droid thunderbolt (verizon) at full retail ($600 and change with case etc). Spending $600 dollars on a phone that will literally "do it all" (and that droid does do it all) is worth it to me.
    I sunk my teeth in and joined the necessary forums to tweak the droid the way I liked it. Impressive device for sure.
    And now, for the **
    **I had it for almost a week before I realized I can not handle an all touch device. I was sure after reading everyone say "before long I got used to it", that I too, would get used to it. I couldn't. I missed my slow, laggy, teeny tiny too small bold 9650...go figure.
    I hope the wait isn't too much longer.
    I will say this. If they make a droid with a keyboard like the bold 9900 and not that horrible droid pro, I'd be tempted.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-11 03:31 PM
    Last friday, after waiting 2 years for this 99xx, I couldn't stand the dull forever wait and bought the droid thunderbolt (verizon) at full retail ($600 and change with case etc). Spending $600 dollars on a phone that will literally "do it all" (and that droid does do it all) is worth it to me.
    I sunk my teeth in and joined the necessary forums to tweak the droid the way I liked it. Impressive device for sure.
    And now, for the **
    **I had it for almost a week before I realized I can not handle an all touch device. I was sure after reading everyone say "before long I got used to it", that I too, would get used to it. I couldn't. I missed my slow, laggy, teeny tiny too small bold 9650...go figure.
    I hope the wait isn't too much longer.
    I will say this. If they make a droid with a keyboard like the bold 9900 and not that horrible droid pro, I'd be tempted.

It's probably going to take you longer than a week to get used to an all touch device coming from a KB.
    07-28-11 03:40 PM
    Sounds like what I just did with the SE Arc. Sweet phone. I thought it was a keeper after the first week, then 2nd week things started to get annoying and by the third week, I was switching back and forth with my 9800. Finally, I've put the Arc in the drawer with the large collection of Androids I've tried in the past. I have a love hate relationship with the Android OS, it's almost there but not quite yet for me. The Arc is one beautiful phone though.
    07-28-11 03:54 PM
    I have a colleague who has gone from a Bold 9700, to Iphone, to droid, to torch, to droid, to bold 9000, and is now looking to buy a 9700 again.

IN ONE YEAR!

The grass is greener, for about a month... then back to a BlackBerry of some sorts..
    07-28-11 04:33 PM
    If you are going to Droid return the Thunderbolt and get the Samsung Galaxy S2. There is no better.
    Spawn12 likes this.
    07-28-11 04:39 PM
    I just had an interesting conversation with a Thunderbolt owner on Tuesday. He absolutely loves it, Quote:Because I only have it off the charger for an hour at a time, 3 times a day." Otherwise, he'd have to consider something else.

I hope you have a better experience.

07-28-11 04:40 PM
    If you are going to Droid return the Thunderbolt and get the Samsung Galaxy S2. There is no better.
    If you missed your blackberry, you won't like it.

**EDIT** My bad. this isn't the phone I was thinking of. I don't really know this phone at all. But I am curious as to why you think someone who said they couldn't take an all touch device would like this phone?
    Last edited by mom21; 07-28-11 at 04:54 PM.
    07-28-11 04:42 PM
    I made the mistake of getting an HTC Inspire on AT&T last week as a device to hold me over for a new shiny Bold 9900. Wow, big mistake. The battery life was awful! Don't know if that's normal for an Android device, but all I know is that I'll never get Android again. Back on my Torch 9800. Just waiting on you RIM. Release the BOLD!
    DJBS4LIFE and AceStreaming like this.
    07-28-11 05:06 PM
    For me , I was never able to find a hard qwerty droid that didnt suck. I demo'd a droid pro and it was bad. Ended up with a droid 2 and it was nice for a bit but the problems of that version of OS presented themselves. i really liked the premise for the OS but couldnt stand how buggy it was and the bad battery life.

I did get get a chance to mess with a friend of mine's thunderbolt. cool phone for the most part but no hard qwerty.
    07-28-11 05:29 PM
    I just had an interesting conversation with a Thunderbolt owner on Tuesday. He absolutely loves it, Quote:Because I only have it off the charger for an hour at a time, 3 times a day." Otherwise, he'd have to consider something else.

I hope you have a better experience.

Droids aren't the best when it comes to battery life but LTE is also a huge battery drain.
    07-28-11 05:37 PM
    why am I reading a post about android devices in the 9900 forum?
    AceStreaming likes this.
    07-28-11 07:55 PM
    Mamaulka, dont feel bad, I think lots of us have done the same thing only to come running back home where we belong.
    07-28-11 08:03 PM
    What else should people do around here? Talk about new devices?

ratchetjaw#AC and Blacklatino like this.
    07-28-11 08:22 PM
    What else should people do around here? Talk about new devices?

Yes. That is what all these threads actually do. Funny stuff though.
    07-28-11 08:28 PM
    Been to android twice. One full touch one slider. Back to BB within 2 months both times. Why couldnt I get sick of them within the 30 days?!?! Just hoping and praying US Cellular gets the 9930 eventually!

DJBS4LIFE likes this.
    07-28-11 08:34 PM
    Try swype, not that bad. 9900 should be good all rounder messaging but not much else. Lets see how storm 3 is against android slabs.
    Android qwerty? No good.
    curious about dell venue pro, anyone tried that?

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk
    07-28-11 08:46 PM
    For me , I was never able to find a hard qwerty droid that didnt suck. I demo'd a droid pro and it was bad. Ended up with a droid 2 and it was nice for a bit but the problems of that version of OS presented themselves. i really liked the premise for the OS but couldnt stand how buggy it was and the bad battery life.

I did get get a chance to mess with a friend of mine's thunderbolt. cool phone for the most part but no hard qwerty.
    This is basically how I feel. The thunderbolt users are desperately awaiting a gingerbread OS to rid the device of a few very major OS flaws (one being sending texts to wrong recipients). Also, for me, I hated the LED and notifications on the stock OS. I missed every text, email or IM unless I had the phone in my hand. The LED is very dim and poorly placed. Hey --- I need to be fast in my business. Anyway, I tried it! Had to pay $35.00 restock fee... Fair enough to rent a droid for 5 bucks a day.

07-28-11 09:19 PM
    Try swype, not that bad. 9900 should be good all rounder messaging but not much else. Lets see how storm 3 is against android slabs.
    Android qwerty? No good.

Put swype on the device on the first day. Very buggy AND you can't get it from the market. Have to DL a beta. I've used swype many times on a family members droid and I am as good as I'm going to get on it...and that aint so great. It still effs up.

07-28-11 09:23 PM
    Right! Maybe we need another "when will the 99xx be released" thread instead.

07-28-11 09:40 PM
    oh, so because there is one annoying thread-type all other ones are OK? Remind me again why there is an andoird subforum at crackberry?
    07-28-11 09:53 PM
    Android qwerty? No good.

Good for not much else beyond messaging? It has the thunderbird or thundercloud or whatever HTC superphone processor...that one is good for messaging only as well?
    07-28-11 10:06 PM
    Funny story. While I was in the Verizon store, a rep who seemed to be just chillin sees me hand over my bb to the rep helping me, and taking a droid. He says...seems like everyone buying an android here lately, is giving up a bb for it. Wonder how many of us returned it like I did.

07-28-11 10:08 PM
    Good for not much else beyond messaging? It has the thunderbird or thundercloud or whatever HTC superphone processor...that one is good for messaging only as well?
    Theres only so much you can do on 2.8" screen, be it games or reading. Unless you squint or use magnifier.

07-28-11 10:16 PM
    I have a friend with an android thing. He comes over and plugs the phone in. He uses it once or twice in an hour. We go out to a bar for a few drinks and he plugs it into the car charger. We get to the bar and spend about 3 hours and his battery is dying and he wants to use my BB tour for a call. he looks at the battery and says " When was the last time you f***ing charged this thing?" "Last night I told him. He just shook his head and asked me for the car keys so he could go put his really slick hot droid on the charger. LOL he comes back after about 30 min on my BB talking to his GF and he says " This is Bull****, your battery is at the same place it was when I started the call!" I just looked at him and said "your really going to like the 9930"
    757EliasHZ likes this.
    07-28-11 10:22 PM
    It's probably going to take you longer than a week to get used to an all touch device coming from a KB.
    I've had the PlayBook for three months and I still prefer typing on the relatively diminutive Torch keyboard. Some of us just cannot get used to a virtual keyboard.
    07-28-11 10:44 PM
78 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD