Just thought I'd chime in with the official statement from Costco Canada on the return policy in question (being indeed 90 days) which can be found here: Costco Customer Service | Computer Warranty Page

I'm so heading to Costco tomorrow :-D

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-11 12:13 AM

It will be 90 if it is sold by costco and may be something else if from an independent company operating within costco

08-22-11 12:32 AM
    I don't think I've seen any independant companies sell cells within Costco. Regardless I'm heading over there tomorrow to see if they have my phone and to confirm the return policy and such.

08-22-11 12:36 AM

I was surprised as well. It was Wireless etc who sold it to me within Costco. The invoice was with them, not Costco.

08-22-11 01:19 AM
    My costco iN ajax is. Also. Offering. A. $100 gift. Card. With the activation
    08-22-11 04:50 AM
    Amigos, Costco is so the best ever. Just bought a Rogers BB 9900 out-right, which provides me with Costco's 90 day return policy. They said that if you get it on contract, it'd be subject to Rogers' 14 day/30 min return policy, but buying it out-right provides you with Costco's return policy. For $50 more, I got a 3 year extended warranty which provides repairs, loaners, shipping, etc. and if I don't use it after the 3rd year, I get a $50 gift card for Costco :-D

BTW the $100 gift card as well as a 3-in-1 charger are provided for BlackBerrys set up on a 3 year contract.

08-22-11 12:59 PM
    Sweet - too bad we don't have a Costco without an independent dealer within the store here in BC. Wish I still lived in TO
    Last edited by mhw100; 09-04-11 at 12:44 AM.
    08-22-11 01:15 PM
    Oh yeah, I forgot to comment on that: it is an independant dealer caller Wireless Etc, but they work with Costco :-)

Also, I'm visiting my parents in London Ontario, so that's where I just got it (the London North one, that is as there are 2 London Costcos).
    08-22-11 01:21 PM
    I just got back from Costco -- their return policy is 30 days ONLY for electronics. Everything else 90 days.
    08-22-11 01:22 PM
    I just got back from Costco -- their return policy is 30 days ONLY for electronics. Everything else 90 days.
    Odd: both as stated online and as per what I was told in the store, it's 90 days. Maybe your local Costco has a different return policy?
    Online electronics return policy off of Costco.ca: http://www.costco.ca/Service/FeaturePageLeftNav.aspx?ProductNo=10045100

08-22-11 01:25 PM
    Oh yeah, I forgot to comment on that: it is an independant dealer caller Wireless Etc, but they work with Costco :-)
    Must be different then in different parts of the country then which I find very hard to believe given I spoke to management of the Costco here. They did print the 90 day warranty on your Wireless Etc invoice, right? Was it Costco management that told you it was 90 days or the sales agent for Wireless Etc? I specifically requested the warranty be imprinted on the invoice so as to avoid any future "miscommunication."

If you got a written 90 day warranty or Costco management to confirm the Wireless Etc 90 policy then you got a screaming good deal.
    Last edited by mhw100; 08-22-11 at 01:33 PM.
    08-22-11 01:30 PM
    It was verbal through Wireless Etc. They actually didn't even tell me about the extended warranty without me asking, and since I added it after getting the print-out for the cell purchase, the lady said she'd have to do a refund and re-enter it in her system. So I don't even have an official print-out of the extended warranty. I'll need to go back to them soon to return something else, so I'm gonna confirm with them then.

Regardless however, even 30 days is better than anyone else that I've found. And Best Buy are the only other ones that ignore the stupid 30 minute thing, 'cause I really don't see it being possible to test out a phone accordingly with that type of policy, so I avoid the rest of the shops like the plague :-)
    08-22-11 01:40 PM
    It was verbal through Wireless Etc. They actually didn't even tell me about the extended warranty without me asking, and since I added it after getting the print-out for the cell purchase, the lady said she'd have to do a refund and re-enter it in her system. So I don't even have an official print-out of the extended warranty. I'll need to go back to them soon to return something else, so I'm gonna confirm with them then.

Regardless however, even 30 days is better than anyone else that I've found. And Best Buy are the only other ones that ignore the stupid 30 minute thing, 'cause I really don't see it being possible to test out a phone accordingly with that type of policy, so I avoid the rest of the shops like the plague :-)
    You don't need it printed, just get them to write "90 days return or replacement" on your original invoice from Wireless Etc and you're in good shape. It is possible that because Wireless Etc are in a more competitive market in South Western Ontario they may have a different return policy than here but I'd be skeptical since company policy is generally uniform and not dependent upon geography. Having said that it you may be luck. Point is I would not assume it is 90 days because the sales rep told you it was.

Yep, 30 days was the best I could find out here as as stated earlier much better than Rogers.
    08-22-11 02:08 PM
    you mean 30 for phones and 90 for every other electronics?
    08-22-11 04:24 PM
    Costco has NO LIMIT on returns, with the exception of Cameras, TV's, Computers, MP3 Players and a few other items, which are ALL 90-days, including phone purchased at Wireless ETC. If Wireless Etc is telling the Costco members otherwise, they're just not telling the truth. I am 100% sure it's 90-days. I have already returned product outside of 30 days to them. They don't like it, but Costco has rules they have to follow. If anyone purchases a phone from them and they refuse the 90-day return, you just have to get a Costco floor manager over there and they have no choice but to accept the return. Costco doesn't screw around with this policy, but Wireless Etc does. They tried pulling the same crap on me and then tried to refuse to sell me a new phone. They tried, but were unsuccessful.
    08-22-11 05:07 PM
    Costco has NO LIMIT on returns, with the exception of Cameras, TV's, Computers, MP3 Players and a few other items, which are ALL 90-days, including phone purchased at Wireless ETC. If Wireless Etc is telling the Costco members otherwise, they're just not telling the truth. I am 100% sure it's 90-days. I have already returned product outside of 30 days to them. They don't like it, but Costco has rules they have to follow. If anyone purchases a phone from them and they refuse the 90-day return, you just have to get a Costco floor manager over there and they have no choice but to accept the return. Costco doesn't screw around with this policy, but Wireless Etc does. They tried pulling the same crap on me and then tried to refuse to sell me a new phone. They tried, but were unsuccessful.
    That is interesting. I spoke to a Costco manager and he said it was 30 days from Wireless Etc.
    Edit; I called and spoke to yet another senior manager of Costco and he confirmed, what the other manager told me, that Wireless sets their own return policy and not obligated in any way to follow the 90 day Costco policy. Sounds like there must be some geographic differences.
    Last edited by mhw100; 08-22-11 at 05:53 PM.
    08-22-11 05:45 PM
    So basically if you have any issues in more than 30 days but less than 90 and decide to return it, you could always take a trip to Toronto or London ;-)

08-22-11 05:58 PM
    So basically if you have any issues in more than 30 days but less than 90 and decide to return it, you could always take a trip to Toronto or London ;-)

Family still in Toronto...maybe so
    Last edited by mhw100; 08-22-11 at 07:14 PM.
    08-22-11 06:04 PM
    Thanks alot guys I didn't know that Costco sold the 9900. I returned my 9900 that I bought from a thrid party dealer (because of weird trackpad issues) and also bought the 3 year warranty
    08-22-11 09:32 PM
    Glad we could help :-D

08-22-11 09:33 PM
    Glad I started this thread - I've been receiving a ton of PMs from ppl today who had no idea, as I didn't, that they dealt phones at at 30-90 day policy.
    08-22-11 09:46 PM
    Update. Wireless etc now has the return policy set to 90 days Canada wide. They just got a memo stating they had to follow the Costco warranty. I immediately had them make the change from 30 to 90 on my invoice.
    09-03-11 02:22 PM
    Awesome, appreciate the update. Costco is definitely my new go-to place for BlackBerrys from now on :-D

09-03-11 03:18 PM
    Awesome, appreciate the update. Costco is definitely my new go-to place for BlackBerrys from now on :-D

Yeah, Wireless etc is awesome. Highly recommended for customer service over the Roger's independent contractors. Not only do you get the 90 days which you almost now need on a RIM product given their QC issues, you also get great service e.g. the sales agent worked with me by opening up boxes etc.

Highly recommended compared to Roger's 14 days/30 minutes talk time and "no I will only open up one box." I like Rogers' plans and get good service from them other than on the initial hardware purchase.
    09-03-11 03:44 PM
    There has to be a carrier service ticket for returns. So, if there is an issue with your phone call you carrier and establish a ticket number. Replacement applies to defects .. Not wear and tear and they will argue a squeeky button is normal use. Return for refund is 30 days if you buy outright. Exchange is if there is a problem. I know....I returned my first device because of a software bug and I needed to provide a service ticket number. The Wireless rep called Rogers and asked for the ticket number. They just aren't going to ship a truckload of phones back as defective becuase people aren't happy with a squishy sound.

Makes me wonder if people actually use their phones or scrutinize them day and night.

Also...if you frequently replace your device as I do, save the money on extended warranty. Take the 1 year with carrier and save cash. When you upgrade a year later sell your phone. There are always people looking for used phones on the cheap.

09-03-11 03:45 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD