Ok got my new work phone and I like it. I have a 9700 currently and the question is should I use the transfer wizard or is that not recommended? I don't want to dent the performance of the new phone so is it best to start from fresh?
    08-18-11 06:21 AM
    Ok got my new work phone and I like it. I have a 9700 currently and the question is should I use the transfer wizard or is that not recommended? I don't want to dent the performance of the new phone so is it best to start from fresh?
    I have read many users running into issues with doing that.

What I did was, restore only the contacts, emails, memos, browser bookmarks,

deselect everything else and ESPECIALLY the phone options
    tK715 likes this.
    08-18-11 06:23 AM
    08-18-11 06:27 AM
    Ok thanks. Seems strange RIM would let users transfer setting which would cause problems.
    08-18-11 06:27 AM
    Yes if you do just do the basics. I did all with apps and screwed it up. Had to wipe with bbsak and reload OS
    08-18-11 06:30 AM
    Well I should have waited.... but I didn't. I did the full transfer.

So how can I restore to factory shipped condition?
    08-18-11 06:31 AM
    Good question. I have the same 9700 and will be doing the full transfer device through the BB Desktop software. I did the same on all my many BB devices with no problems. Though when switching back from the Torch, some of the touch-screen reliant Apps obviously did not work.

I especially want all my phone settings, ringtones, apps, calendar settings etc. transferred over.

I note the Appworld issue, which is not a big deal for me and I'm sure will be resolved by the time my 9900 is up and running.

@technology-fanboy, what other issues do you think could result from doing a full transfer device switch?
    08-18-11 06:33 AM
    Well I should have waited.... but I didn't. I did the full transfer.

So how can I restore to factory shipped condition?
    Restore factory settings, and ensure to remove all apps

when the device reboots,

Here is what I did

1- I already have my backup from the 9780 before selling it

2- When I get my 9900 , I will do a CUSTOM RESTORE, I will only select CONTACTS and MEMOS and BROWSER BOOKMARKS, thats it! No emails, no messages, no SMS, no options, no app permissions, NOTHING ELSE

3 - As soon as I turn on my 9900, I will enter the email setup, and setup my email accounts scratch, I don't care if I will not get the previous emails I have access to them on my PC when I need anything.

4- I will create a new BB ID to start out fresh. I don't want any of the old junk applications to appear in my Appworld account and clutter it up

5 - I will install and buy a few apps that are compatible, I have already setup a new mobihand account dedicated for my 9900 and moved only the apps that are compatible (such as BerryWeather and BerryReader and MeterBerry) to my new account by contacting Mobihand, and this gives me a new 9900 account with apps that are compatible with my device.

6- I will then start customizing my options and settings from scratch.

This way, I will ensure a smooth migration to my new device, but that's just the way I do it.
    08-18-11 06:35 AM
    I especially want all my phone settings, ringtones, apps, calendar settings etc. transferred over.
    I advice against that.

The old device options may cause conflicts with the 9900 settings. I know it is tedious, but it is best to start setting your options from scratch all over
    08-18-11 06:36 AM

There are 127 different data type options on my old device, ranging from BBM to BB Traffic to Bluetooth to SMS to MMS to Clock Options. Are you suggesting that everything except those four areas you mention not be checked as part of a Custom Back Up of the old device that one will load on the new device? I can see spending the next month trying to get the new device back to where the old one was.

The fail I've read most about when doing a Device Switch is with App World, since it apparently brings over OS 6 BBID .cod files, resulting in all/most of one's App World apps uninstalled and showing up as unavailable in the My World section of App World. There are apparently a couple of fixes, one involving loading a newer leaked OS and the other replacing the .cod files with their OS 7 versions via BBSAK.
    08-18-11 06:38 AM
    Ok how do I restore to factory settings? Using the DM? sorry if this is a stupid question but I don't want to kill the 9900 in the first hour!
    08-18-11 06:39 AM
    On your device: Options (the wrench), Security, Security Wipe.

This will bring you phone back to like it came from the box.
    GuyH likes this.
    08-18-11 06:42 AM
    I advice against that.

The old device options may cause conflicts with the 9900 settings. I know it is tedious, but it is best to start setting your options from scratch all over
    Thanks. We have a saying "As'al mujarib, wala tas'al tabeeb" - Don't ask a doctor, ask someone who has had the disease!

So I'll let this forum do what it's good at and guide us noobies in the right direction
    08-18-11 06:43 AM
    There are 127 different data type options on my old device, ranging from BBM to BB Traffic to Bluetooth to SMS to MMS to Clock Options. Are you suggesting that everything except those four areas you mention not be checked as part of a Custom Back Up of the old device that one will load on the new device? I can see spending the next month trying to get the new device back to where the old one was.

The fail I've read most about when doing a Device Switch is with App World, since it apparently brings over OS 6 BBID .cod files, resulting in all/most of one's App World apps uninstalled and showing up as unavailable in the My World section of App World. There are apparently a couple of fixes, one involving loading a newer leaked OS and the other replacing the .cod files with their OS 7 versions via BBSAK.
    Well when I switched from a 9700 to a 9800 via the device switch wizard, since the 9700 had OS 5, the settings were messed up and my trackpad acted funny and sluggish no matter what sensitivity I put

Doing the above and starting all over again fixed everything.

So I didn't wanna run the same risk and have some funny issues that I cannot identify. This was my safest bet.

it's up to you whether you feel like redoing all the options again or not.

But I think it's worth it, you do it once, and never worry again
    08-18-11 06:43 AM
    Thanks. We have a saying "As'al mujarib, wala tas'al tabeeb" - Don't ask a doctor, ask someone who has had the disease!

So I'll let this forum do what it's good at and guide us noobies in the right direction
    Noone is a noobie with this phone

I felt like a total noobie and you can tell by the questions I am asking .

IT is a new BB with a new OS, we wanna ensure a smooth transition
    08-18-11 06:44 AM
    Well when I switched from a 9700 to a 9800 via the device switch wizard, since the 9700 had OS 5, the settings were messed up and my trackpad acted funny and sluggish no matter what sensitivity I put

Doing the above and starting all over again fixed everything.

So I didn't wanna run the same risk and have some funny issues that I cannot identify. This was my safest bet.

it's up to you whether you feel like redoing all the options again or not.

But I think it's worth it, you do it once, and never worry again
    Huh? So what you are saying is that you did it this way because you had problems back when you went from your 9700 on OS 5 to your 9800 on OS 6, not because of any problems you actually know about going from OS 6 to OS 7?

I had no problems using device switch to go from my 9000 on OS 5 to my 9800 on OS 6.

Your recommendation is based upon the false premise that just because you had some odd issues moving from your OS 5 phone to your OS 6 device, everyone will have these issues moving from their OS 6 (or whatever) device to an OS 7 device.

I'm sorry, I don't buy that. I know you are trying to be helpful, but you may be doing people more harm than good.

Edit: after further review, this advice to not use device switch to bring device data over from one's old device truly is garbage, and should be ignored. Bringing over third party apps via device switch is another story -- that should be deselected in DTS because of the BlackBerry Identity problem it creates. But all data should be brought over, unless one is a masochist with unlimited free time.
    Last edited by JasW; 08-18-11 at 10:43 AM.
    08-18-11 07:23 AM
    ok This sucks big time. Ive transfered using BDM v.5.01 from 9700 to 9900. And it has nothing but problems. Now my new 9900 took almost 30mins to start up. Im in the middle of security wiping it all. And that took forever.

DO NOT do what i did.
    08-18-11 11:22 AM

I did this as well. From Tour to Bold.

Phone is now running PERFECTLY!
    08-18-11 11:59 AM
    ok This sucks big time. Ive transfered using BDM v.5.01 from 9700 to 9900. And it has nothing but problems. Now my new 9900 took almost 30mins to start up. Im in the middle of security wiping it all. And that took forever.

DO NOT do what i did.
    You're not the only one, many people I know including myself ran into this problem.

Clean custom restore is the best
    08-18-11 11:59 AM
    Huh? So what you are saying is that you did it this way because you had problems back when you went from your 9700 on OS 5 to your 9800 on OS 6, not because of any problems you actually know about going from OS 6 to OS 7?

I had no problems using device switch to go from my 9000 on OS 5 to my 9800 on OS 6.

Your recommendation is based upon the false premise that just because you had some odd issues moving from your OS 5 phone to your OS 6 device, everyone will have these issues moving from their OS 6 (or whatever) device to an OS 7 device.

I'm sorry, I don't buy that. I know you are trying to be helpful, but you may be doing people more harm than good.

Edit: after further review, this advice to not use device switch to bring device data over from one's old device truly is garbage, and should be ignored. Bringing over third party apps via device switch is another story -- that should be deselected in DTS because of the BlackBerry Identity problem it creates. But all data should be brought over, unless one is a masochist with unlimited free time.
    Wow, no need for the hate...Do more harm that good? Let's not be silly.

I've done exactly what technology-fanboy did and my BB is running flawlessly. He is sharing what worked for him and I am thankful it worked for me as well. Transfer over what you please, but saying this is the "incorrect" way to do it is ridiculous.

I'm reading all the issues/glitches other users are having and I'm sure glad I've researched prior to transferring all my info/data. I guess, by your standards, I am a masochist with unlimited free time.
    08-18-11 12:13 PM
    Wow, no need for the hate...Do more harm that good? Let's not be silly.

I've done exactly what technology-fanboy did and my BB is running flawlessly. He is sharing what worked for him and I am thankful it worked for me as well. Transfer over what you please, but saying this is the "incorrect" way to do it is ridiculous.

I'm reading all the issues/glitches other users are having and I'm sure glad I've researched prior to transferring all my info/data. I guess, by your standards, I am a masochist with unlimited free time.
    I'm not hating anybody -- and what is ridiculous is his suggestion that one should transfer "only the contacts, emails, memos, [and] browser bookmarks." Forget about profiles and ringtone settings, phone settings, BBM, Bluetooth, wifi, calendar, BB Traffic, etc., etc., etc.

The point is that transferring over device data -- and device data only, not apps -- via device switch in DTS works just fine, and his "theory" is based upon his personal and, to my knowledge, unique experience moving from a 9700 to a 9800 -- not moving to a 9900.

Of course it will work if you do it his way; in that sense, it's not "incorrect." It's also not incorrect to say that one can walk from New York to Philadelphia.
    08-18-11 12:29 PM
    I'm not hating anybody -- and what is ridiculous is his suggestion that one should transfer "only the contacts, emails, memos, [and] browser bookmarks." Forget about profiles and ringtone settings, phone settings, BBM, Bluetooth, wifi, calendar, BB Traffic, etc., etc., etc.

The point is that transferring over device data -- and device data only, not apps -- via device switch in DTS works just fine, and his "theory" is based upon his personal and, to my knowledge, unique experience moving from a 9700 to a 9800 -- not moving to a 9900.

Of course it will work if you do it his way; in that sense, it's not "incorrect." It's also not incorrect to say that one can walk from New York to Philadelphia.
    I didn't tell anybody that was the ideal way to do it.

Read my post again. All I said this is what I did, and at the end I said, this will ensure I have a smooth transition. I was addressing myself as to how I did it. I don't recommend this to anyone, bu guess what? 2 people tried it too and it worked for them.

So save the rude comments noone asked you to backup restore my way. this is a public forum where people share their experiences and opinions.

Now on the positive side, I agree with you that going through all those settings that you mentioned could be tedious. The reason I never found that as a problem, is because I don't have much customizations other than the profile ringtone and turn off vibration alerts.

The rest I do with BeBuzz for different LED notifications, I don't like my BlackBerry to be noisy.
    08-18-11 01:04 PM

Walking from NY to Philly isn't the greatest example, but I get your drift. And I get your point and I'm not going to argue. What I am saying is that you shouldn't bash him just because he stated the way it worked for him (and me).

and what is ridiculous is his suggestion that one should transfer "only the contacts, emails, memos, [and] browser bookmarks." Forget about profiles and ringtone settings, phone settings, BBM, Bluetooth, wifi, calendar, BB Traffic, etc., etc., etc.
    I don't think this is ridiculous at all. Maybe some users out there dont need/want to transfer ringtones, phone settings, etc...I didn't and I am content. Different strokes for different folks.
    08-18-11 01:08 PM
    Yes, yes do the device switch and bring everything over, it works great!

08-18-11 01:35 PM

LoL, you're more annoying than I am.
    08-18-11 01:36 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD