Anybody know how lock your phone "entirely"? Even when i lock my 9930 by pressing the silver button on top, it locks the screen but not the convenience key/keys. I installed 6 Tools app (awesome app by the way!) and set the volume keys as convenient keys too. So sometimes i'll just put my phone in my front pocket and find that my leg starts to get real hot... And it's from the flash light app i downloaded that is set on the volume convenience key.. So the camera flash shines as a flashlight inside my pocket...

It's super annoying.. And.. it drains my precious battery.. And.. the family jewels get steamy!

Anyone know how to truly and entirely lock the 9930 so the convenience keys are locked too?? Any apps that actually work and would solve this problem??
    10-25-11 08:15 PM
    Don't have this problem, my convenience key does not work when my 9930 is locked.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-11 08:30 PM
    I would also appreciate a lockable convenience key. Mine is set to open the calendar and often does so when I take the phone out of it's holster. Mildly annoying.
    Clinto likes this.
    10-26-11 09:19 AM
    I uninstalled 6 tools so I can't check, but it may be that with 6 tools installed, the volume keys don't lock with the screen /keyboard lock key. Without 6 tools installed, the lock key locks everything, including the volume/mute buttons.
    Clinto likes this.
    10-26-11 09:37 AM
    I uninstalled 6 tools so I can't check, but it may be that with 6 tools installed, the volume keys don't lock with the screen /keyboard lock key. Without 6 tools installed, the lock key locks everything, including the volume/mute buttons.
    Good advice FBA! I have my camera set on my "standard" convenience key and I've found that to be running all by itself in the past and I assumed it was due to the above lock key issue. But you are right! I just pressed the lock button and tried the camera and it is indeed locked... Then I push the buttons controlled by 6 Tools and bingo! Only the 6 Tools keys work when the phone is locked.

Now I am faced with the decision to remove my precious 6 Tools App.
    Or.. maybe I will just send this thread over in 6 Tools direction and see if they feel like fixing the bug.

Thanks A Lot!!
    Clinto
    10-26-11 11:43 AM
    You know - I had 6 tools installed for a few months. I uninstalled it as I suspected it might be eating battery and I hardly ever used it, so out it came a few days ago. Battery improved a bit, but truthfully, I don't miss it and when you reboot, you always have to open the app once to get it running anyway, which was a pain. LOL
    10-26-11 02:38 PM
    if you push 'k' it will lock your phone.. this is, however, only if you have "dial from homescreen" disabled. i did not reassign my volume keys/camera key to other apps, and i know for a fact that either when pushing the top "screen lock" button or pushing 'k' or letting my device time out to lock itself, the volume controls/next/previous work while playing music.. i just reassigned it to my flashlight app and it will not turn on when i lock my phone or lock the screen..
    10-26-11 05:15 PM
    Anyone know of any app that will lock the convenience key when the BB is in it's holster. Often when I take it out the convenience key operates and brings up the calendar?
    10-26-11 05:49 PM
    Media keys are active when the the device is password locked. That is done so because you might want to use them when the BB is locked and you listen to music.

MediaKeyBooster application assigns each media key to 4 apps, tasks, or macro shortcut in ShortcutMe. It allows you to disable 1x click of the media key assigning, so accidental clicking of the media keys doesn't launch something.

You can still have your extra convenience keys (through multiple clicking (2x, 3x, 4x) of the media keys).
    Last edited by Vijik; 10-26-11 at 10:32 PM.
    10-26-11 09:23 PM
    Anyone know of any app that will lock the convenience key when the BB is in it's holster. Often when I take it out the convenience key operates and brings up the calendar?
    You'd have to just be more careful when removing it from the holster or, use the built-in password lock function. That WILL keep it locked at all times, until you enter a password and if you don't like using a password, you can make it something really simple, like 4 characters. You can use something like POPO or QWQW or PQPQ...all of which are easy to input and the 1st 2 using only one hand. I use password lock - just so the device is secure.
    10-26-11 10:15 PM
    Anybody know how lock your phone "entirely"? Even when i lock my 9930 by pressing the silver button on top, it locks the screen but not the convenience key/keys. I installed 6 Tools app (awesome app by the way!) and set the volume keys as convenient keys too. So sometimes i'll just put my phone in my front pocket and find that my leg starts to get real hot... And it's from the flash light app i downloaded that is set on the volume convenience key.. So the camera flash shines as a flashlight inside my pocket...

It's super annoying.. And.. it drains my precious battery.. And.. the family jewels get steamy!

Anyone know how to truly and entirely lock the 9930 so the convenience keys are locked too?? Any apps that actually work and would solve this problem??
    The problem isn't the phone, its SIXtools. I have the same issue, I like the app but i'm very frustrated with it. I've emailed the developer 3 times to ask to have this issue addressed and got no responses.. very poor customer service especially for a paid app.

You'd have to just be more careful when removing it from the holster or, use the built-in password lock function. That WILL keep it locked at all times, until you enter a password and if you don't like using a password, you can make it something really simple, like 4 characters. You can use something like POPO or QWQW or PQPQ...all of which are easy to input and the 1st 2 using only one hand. I use password lock - just so the device is secure.

Nope, with SIXtools installed the keys even work when the phone is password locked.. you have to enter the password to see the apps running or close them, but they are.. and draining the battery.. especially evident with flashlight apps..
    Clinto likes this.
    10-27-11 10:41 AM
    Correct.

Any app that detects the media key clicks is doing what it should do even when the device is password locked.
    That is because media keys are working when the device is password locked.

The only way to disable mediakeys is when the device is keypad locked (with the lock key on top edge of the device).
    10-27-11 10:47 AM
    Hey shadwellal, I have my "standard" convenience key set for my camera. And I have indeed had my camera unknowingly running in the background quite a few times. If you look out there in the posts there is a thread running right now about that very issue; lots of other people are having their cameras running to when they don't want. They are thinking its a camera issue.

But...You have your Calendar set on the convenience key and your calendar is running a lot too. Now.. I just set my calendar on the convenience key and locked it with the lock button. And I gotta say it did lock the calendar. But who knows... My camera runs all the time.. Your calendar runs all the time.. Maybe they're connected???

Kind of a pointless post.. I know... But I'm just trying to connect the dots here.. Maybe it is the convenience key issue not locking with the lock button??

Do you have 6 Tools Installed?
    10-27-11 06:46 PM
    Hey [URL="http://forums.crackberry.com/members/shadwellal-2388304/"] I just set my calendar on the convenience key and locked it with the lock button. And I gotta say it did lock the calendar.
    When I put the device in the holster, I don't press the lock button - there should be no need, as the keypad's disabled whilst in the holster The lock button does lock the convenience key as well. Maybe that will have to be the answer. Still a bit annoying though.
    10-28-11 11:21 AM
    The convenience key is locked when you Keypad Lock (lock key on top of the device), or when you holster the device.
    Media keys (volume keys and the pause/play key) are not getting locked by a keypad lock or by holstering.

SixTools and MediaKeyBooster are using media keys as the convenience key.
    Their functionality is therefore not locked by holstering or by keypad locking.
    shadwellal likes this.
    10-28-11 11:40 AM
    Thanks Vijik,

Installed MediaKeyBooster, assigned calendar to a double click of the volume down key, disabled the convenience key - problem sorted (except I've now got a useless convenience key on the side of my BB!)
    10-30-11 07:21 PM
    Thanks Vijik,

Installed MediaKeyBooster, assigned calendar to a double click of the volume down key, disabled the convenience key - problem sorted (except I've now got a useless convenience key on the side of my BB!)
    A key that can so easily get clicked accidentaly, might be better off not launching anything, like the way you have it now.

Your post got me to plan to add 'Disable' to KeyBooster app too so that the first click of the conv key can also be disabled (in the same way as volume keys in MediaKeyBooster).
    10-31-11 08:04 AM
    I have my BB set to lock with the right convenience key, however in the past few days when I go to unlock it the camera is on.

I tried to change the convenience key to something else (help) and the camera turned on then I exited the camera and the help was displayed.

the convenience keys is doing the set operation and the default opperation.

Does anyone know what is causing this. I suspect it must be an update that went out in the last week.
    11-02-11 11:16 AM
    Thanks Vijik,

I use my side convenience key for vlingo as its the only key they recognize, which is fine.. if it gets clicked accidentally it ends itself in a second or two if you don't say anything.. but maybe I will have to try this "mediakeybooster" instead of sixtools.. the double click idea sounds like a good one.. and since the customer service has been so poor (non existent) from the sixtools developer I see no reason to stick with them.. guess thy got my 1.99 though..
    11-03-11 01:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD