Hello,

I just got a Blackberry Bold 9900 on the Vodafone network. Can you tell me how I can connect to a WiFi network without having mobile data on? I travel and work alot, and don't want to run up mobile data charges but just want to use WiFi hotspots, etc.

Thanks.
    11-12-11 12:46 PM
    Options, Networks & Connections, Mobile Network, Data Services On, While Roaming Off (Or Prompt)

That should take care of it.
    11-12-11 12:49 PM
    Thanks kindly. That works - but isn't it now using my Vodafone mobile data usage?

Options, Networks & Connections, Mobile Network, Data Services On, While Roaming Off (Or Prompt)

That should take care of it.
    11-12-11 12:53 PM
    I'll try to explain as best i can.

when you are on your home mobile network and connect via wifi as far as i know 99% of all your data will go through the wifi. (i'm saying 99% as there are some exceptions when you are still connected to the network.) this way you will not be using up your limited data through BIS or APN (streaming stuff).

when you are roaming, you can set the roaming off like the above poster wrote and you will only be able to do calls and text - but wifi will still work when connected to a wifi network.

So as long as the Wifi-BB symbols are next to each other on 99xx you are not going to use up your data plan.

i'm so happy i have unlimited BIS - and a generous data plan for streaming.
    11-12-11 01:01 PM
    Thanks, that's helpful. For a moment, I was concerned I wouldn't be able to use WiFi without mobile data. I didn't know about the WiFi-BB symbols - makes sense now. Thanks.

I'll try to explain as best i can.

when you are on your home mobile network and connect via wifi as far as i know 99% of all your data will go through the wifi. (i'm saying 99% as there are some exceptions when you are still connected to the network.) this way you will not be using up your limited data through BIS or APN (streaming stuff).

when you are roaming, you can set the roaming off like the above poster wrote and you will only be able to do calls and text - but wifi will still work when connected to a wifi network.

So as long as the Wifi-BB symbols are next to each other on 99xx you are not going to use up your data plan.

i'm so happy i have unlimited BIS - and a generous data plan for streaming.
    11-12-11 01:14 PM
    you will need a BB mobile plan (hence mobile data) to use BB services (BBM, BB Browser, BB apps, email push BIS). when you have that going and connect to a wifi the BB will detect it and connect to the BB network via WIFI rather than your cellular carrier.

so long as the WIFI - BB symbols are in place.

there are still some times i can never get the BB to switch to WIFI but I think it's due to the router being set some way or just being old or network restrictions but it works generally well.
    11-12-11 01:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD