got a new 9900 and trying to setup an email account (mail.com).

I run setup, enter username and password, bb tries to connect/process, and then gives the error "your device had a problem connecting to the server"

I think its because its looking for server mail.mail.com, whereas, the servername is imap.mail.com

on the older torch, it gave me the option to define imap and smtp mail servers, but on 9900, i cannot locate it.

if i use an email account with mail server as mail.email.com, it works just fine.

please help!
    08-26-11 10:41 AM
    Have you tried to setup the email account on your carriers BIS site instead?
    08-26-11 10:46 AM
    I switched from AT&T to Sprint, same handheld as you, Torch to 9930 and can't figure out email either. When I try to log-in online it tells me I don't have an account and when I try to configure I can't find where the advanced settings are. 2 of my email accounts switched over, but aren't connected, so I have an inbox and I can choose them in a draft email but they are useless. In the BIS setup it only shows 1 account.
    08-26-11 11:12 AM
    No option of configuring online via BIS. Accounts using server name mail.servername.com are setup and I can see advanced options for these, which shows the IMAP server name. I can change the imap server name, but I cannot change the username, so I am stuck!!
    08-26-11 11:47 AM
    No option of configuring online via BIS. Accounts using server name mail.servername.com are setup and I can see advanced options for these, which shows the IMAP server name. I can change the imap server name, but I cannot change the username, so I am stuck!!
    I saw a tip the other day, which I tried but it was no use to me in the end but I think it may help you?

On the BIS site, set up a dud email address, and a dud password and after it rejects the information (you may have to do this twice) it allows you to enter a more complex setup routine that wasn't available originally, one of which is changing the username!
    08-26-11 11:55 AM
    thank you, it worked. and i only had to try it once with a dud username!
    08-26-11 12:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD