hello my fellow CrackBerrians,

recently my company announced that in the months to come they wil be discontinuing the BlackBerry Enterprise relationship and i will need to replace my Bold 9900 to continue to get my e-mails, sync my outlook contacts and calendar. we are permitted to use our own personal device and i love my 9900. i heard crackberry kevin mention something about microsoft active sync working with a playbook on the 1st cell phone junky podcast done at CES 2012. can anyone confirm if this is actually in the works for BlackBerry mobile devices?

i have my 9900 bridged to my playbok and cant wait till playbook OS 2.0, the remote feature is nice...
    01-13-12 11:33 AM
    Are you able to access your company e-mail using Outlook Web Access? While that wouldn't do a wireless sync of calendar and contacts, you would be able to sync using Desktop Manager...
    01-13-12 11:38 AM
    Are you able to access your company e-mail using Outlook Web Access? While that wouldn't do a wireless sync of calendar and contacts, you would be able to sync using Desktop Manager...
    i can retrieve my e-mail through the outlook web app but that is definately not convinient as push e-mail. with the travelling i do i cant always login in and when i login it times out...
    01-13-12 11:54 AM
    Well I have my work e-mail setup on my BB via OWA and I don't have to re-log in, it just polls my e-mail every 10-15 minutes. You should try setting it up through your BIS e-mail settings and see if it works for you. The setup is relatively easy to do.

I understand that it's not the most convenient, but it would still allow you to keep your 9900 and get your work e-mail...
    01-13-12 11:59 AM
    if you set up the 9900 via BIS, you will lose the sync though of contacts and such.

You could rely solely on the PB for push which should work when the native client comes. BB 10 devices might support the same protocols as the PB OS 2 but those are about 9-12 months out.

iOS and android devices both support exchange/activesync currently so you would have full sync both ways and push email with that option
    01-13-12 12:00 PM
    I think there a couple of 3rd party apps to enable EAS on a BB. AstraSync is one I've read about.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    thelink74 likes this.
    01-13-12 12:34 PM
    To answer the original question yes the playbook will have exchange through activesync. But we will have to see if the activesync is like on IOS or android. That is a relatively easy set up as long as your work allows activesync access. All the news we saw from CES talks about activesync working in conjunction with mobile fusion. Hopefully that is only a option not mandatory. If you have to do something now set up email on your BB using OWA. Then wait a few weeks (hopefully) and see what we can do with OS 2.0.
    01-13-12 02:32 PM
    if you set up the 9900 via BIS, you will lose the sync though of contacts and such.

You could rely solely on the PB for push which should work when the native client comes. BB 10 devices might support the same protocols as the PB OS 2 but those are about 9-12 months out.

iOS and android devices both support exchange/activesync currently so you would have full sync both ways and push email with that option
    im still trying to understand that if PlayBook has some kind of active sync i would hope they would do the same for their phones. ive been there and done that with the I-Phone and got bored so thats when i transitioned over to BlackBerry and i love the experience. android would not be an option, their phones do not interest me. if i ever had to leave BlackBerry it would be to the Windows mobile platform.
    01-13-12 07:54 PM
    I think there a couple of 3rd party apps to enable EAS on a BB. AstraSync is one I've read about.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    atrasync is something i will look into. i appreciate the info....
    01-13-12 08:05 PM
    To answer the original question yes the playbook will have exchange through activesync. But we will have to see if the activesync is like on IOS or android. That is a relatively easy set up as long as your work allows activesync access. All the news we saw from CES talks about activesync working in conjunction with mobile fusion. Hopefully that is only a option not mandatory. If you have to do something now set up email on your BB using OWA. Then wait a few weeks (hopefully) and see what we can do with OS 2.0.
    my company does allow Active Sync and im wondering if the PlayBook is Active Sync compatible and i manage to connect my PlayBook to my Outlook can i use the bridge feature with my Bold 9900 and use my AT&T HSPA+ to maintain an active connection to internet so i dont skip a beat with e-mail, contacts and my calendar. im definately ok retrieving my OutLook e-mail soley on my PlayBook until BB10 is released....

im grandfathered with unlimited data on AT&T..
    01-13-12 08:15 PM
    Well my fellow CrackBerrians OS2.0 is here and I can tell you that I was able to add my Outlook e-mail, contacts and calendar via Active Sync to my PlayBook but only downside is that I have to be on my VPN to get the push email feature working. Outlook email does not work over wifi with Active Sync. I have the VPN setup due to me using Remote Desktop...
    02-23-12 09:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD