I'm reading about some 9900 buyers having issues with their phones already. Is there something I should be concerned about?

I'm getting a like-new tmobile 9900 tomorrow from a local guy. Coming back from Android(g2-g2x-sensation) after I left my 9700. Picked up a 9930 a month ago and I didn't like it because I couldn't use tmobile "4g" service with it. So I sold the phone for 400 which I originally picked up for 300, made $100 profit. I'm getting a like-NIB 9900 for $350, sounds like a good deal right?

What OS would you guy recommend? and apps? When I had my 9700, the regular apps that I used were socialscope, shazam, scoremobile.
    Last edited by jdaclutch; 10-19-11 at 09:54 PM.
    10-19-11 09:29 PM
    i have three bolds 9930 in my family all are working great with no problems.
    bhill0821 likes this.
    10-19-11 09:51 PM
    If you can buy one that is NOT Made in Mexico 4/5... then you are good to go. If not, you should also look in to iPhone 4S.
    10-19-11 10:29 PM
    Same here. I bought a Bold 9900 a month ago and no issues here. Also, it's purdiness is a huge factor. It looks beautiful at night when they sit there... glowing...

They tell me things.

On another note, get it. You won't be happy without it. It's simply the most productive piece of tech I've ever purchased.
    10-19-11 10:35 PM
    I agree, getting a device that is made in Canada or Europe will insure a Blackberry 9900 that is made to work good.
    Some of the made in Canada US version are those who people mostly have issues with.
    10-19-11 10:50 PM
    I'm reading about some 9900 buyers having issues with their phones already. Is there something I should be concerned about?

I'm getting a like-new tmobile 9900 tomorrow from a local guy. Coming back from Android(g2-g2x-sensation) after I left my 9700. Picked up a 9930 a month ago and I didn't like it because I couldn't use tmobile "4g" service with it. So I sold the phone for 400 which I originally picked up for 300, made $100 profit. I'm getting a like-NIB 9900 for $350, sounds like a good deal right?

What OS would you guy recommend? and apps? When I had my 9700, the regular apps that I used were socialscope, shazam, scoremobile.

I LOLed. 4G service...... Thank god the 9930 and 9900 are incapable of 4G. The battery is stretched as it is, but it gets me through the day.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-19-11 10:55 PM
    I have a Mexican "4" made 9900 not one issue with it. Loving my device

good luck
    10-20-11 05:12 AM
    Frankly, the box is at home, I just got my 9930 from VZW last night. Only a few hours, I know, I know. But DAMN this device just ROCKS.
    I'm so happy with my impulse decision. The device is amazing. I'm sure the 9900 will be just as wonderful.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Edit: Checked the box. Mexico 5. Rock solid.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 10-21-11 at 02:55 AM.
    bhill0821 and Guatiao like this.
    10-20-11 05:40 AM
    Hey Qbn, glad to see you finally made it. Just so happy with my 9930. I have had mine a month with zero probs. Battery lasts like the energizer bunny! Enjoy your new device! Oh yeah, mine is a Mexico 5 and is pure perfection. The problems posted earlier about Mexico manufactured, were issues I believe from first run devices.

bhill0821 likes this.
    10-20-11 06:37 AM
    I have 9930 made in mexico haven't had one issue with it and it could have been earlier productions that people were having problems with

10-20-11 07:10 AM
    I have 9930 made in mexico haven't had one issue with it and it could have been earlier productions that people were having problems with

I have a Mexico one with no issue too... But this is my third... I work part time BestBuy Mobile Canada so I can pick what ever the phone. But most Mexico made units are hit and miss type of thing. A lot of Telus Made in Mexico 4 end up in the return bin in BestBuy. That is too high in my opinion for a band new phone.
    10-20-11 08:26 AM
    Picked up a 9930 a month ago and I didn't like it because I couldn't use tmobile "4g" service with it. So I sold the phone for 400 which I originally picked up for 300, made $100 profit. I'm getting a like-NIB 9900 for $350, sounds like a good deal right?
    Just make sure you're getting a T-Mobile branded 9900. You won't get 4G on a 9900 from any of the other carriers (outside of WIND in Canada).
    Crypt1c likes this.
    10-20-11 09:30 AM
    I have a Mexican "4" made 9900 not one issue with it. Loving my device

good luck
    Same here buddy...!

Mexican "4"... Have been rocking it for about 45 days and not a single issue... For those complaining about "battery issues" just get a spare (or 2 or 3 or however many u need to be satisfied) and "issue" solved... I love da fact that it recharges super fast!!!

Andale, andale, arriba, arriba (speedy Gonzales' voice)

10-20-11 10:23 AM
    Just make sure you're getting a T-Mobile branded 9900. You won't get 4G on a 9900 from any of the other carriers (outside of WIND in Canada).

Really guys?.......come on.....

There is no 4G capability for this device. There have been many threads about this.

Just because you see 4G on your screen it doesn't mean you getting 4G speed. Its a T mobile marketing lie.

You will get H+ (3.5G) in selected areas though.

10-20-11 10:35 AM
    I have a T-Mo 9900 and it is great. I have no idea where it was created, btw. You cannot go wrong.

10-20-11 11:06 AM
    I know that, but thanks for reminding me again.
    10-20-11 11:28 AM

There is no 4G capability for this device. There have been many threads about this.

Just because you see 4G on your screen it doesn't mean you getting 4G speed. Its a T mobile marketing lie.

Did I say 4g? I said "4g" which is h+ and I knew that since the very beginning.
    10-20-11 11:30 AM
    Did I say 4g? I said "4g" which is h+ and I knew that since the very beginning.

I don't see what difference "" makes. H+ I get. Perhaps you can be a little clearer for us dumb folk.

10-20-11 12:09 PM

I hate to brake bad news to you, but HSPA+ (aka H+) is classified as a 4G network the ITU (governing body). It's now up to each carrier as to whether they want to call the H+ network 3G or 4G - most in the US have gone with 4G, while Europe remains 3G.

LTE (Verizon's, and soon to be Sprint's, 4G network) has a much higher theoretical speed over H+, but technically they are both 4G networks.

I work in Marketing for a tier 1 carrier and think I know what I'm talking about.
    Please do some research before posting to avoid further confusing people!.
    10-20-11 08:55 PM
    I hate to brake bad news to you, but HSPA+ (aka H+) is classified as a 4G network the ITU (governing body). It's now up to each carrier as to whether they want to call the H+ network 3G or 4G - most in the US have gone with 4G, while Europe remains 3G.

LTE (Verizon's, and soon to be Sprint's, 4G network) has a much higher theoretical speed over H+, but technically they are both 4G networks.

I work in Marketing for a tier 1 carrier and think I know what I'm talking about.
    Please do some research before posting to avoid further confusing people!.

I have a question, why are they both called 4G networks if they do not have the same speed? From what I hear not even close.

Is Verizon not to be called 4G, but 4G LTE? And H+ is to be called 4G, like in T mobiles case?

10-20-11 10:17 PM
    I have a question, why are they both called 4G networks if they do not have the same speed? From what I hear not even close.

Is Verizon not to be called 4G, but 4G LTE? And H+ is to be called 4G, like in T mobiles case?

It really is all marketing talk. Verizon (and now Rogers and Bell in Canada) call it 4G LTE simply to differentiate from H+, since it has the capacity to be faster. As for why they are all called 4G, you'd have to take it up with the International Telecommunications Union (ITU), who redefined "4G" last December to include both HSPA+ and LTE (originally neither network met the qualifications to be known as 4G).

As I mentioned, most North American carriers running H+ took advantage and re-branded to 4G (TELUS' H+ network was known as 3.5G prior for example).

You can find more info here: ITU Redefines 4G. Again. | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
    10-20-11 10:54 PM
    Love my 9900. Upgraded software to the just released WIND .439. ZERO problems. Everything is working PERFECTLY so far. I have a Telus made in Mexico 9900 and have gone over it with a fine tooth comb and fit and finish is perfect. Two thumbs up RIM.

Apple is Occupy Wall Street.
    10-21-11 09:37 AM
    Hey, welcome back. I also had a droid (nothing against droids, I like them and they are awesome for people focused on multi-media) but found I happen to like BlackBerry more.

I read so many negative posts that I hesitated but I'm so glad I picked up my Bold 9930. The piano-like keyboard is just amazing and finally the web and youtube experience is awesome.
    It takes great pictures and fast, it still has the best e-mail (although I know people that like the google e-mail) and messaging in my view.
    If you like it as much as I do, you will be very happy. As for which apps, I like:
    Bloomberg
    7digital is a music store that stores your stuff in the cloud and you can download to PC or Mac and any four devices you want. Pretty nice.
    I like Overdrive for audiobooks. I went through price discovery and saved about 14 bucks better than iTunes, Audible.com and B&N to buy "Crisis Economics", the Overdrive website shows you who carries what you are looking for and then you can quickly check and save. I love saving money and it downloaded to my computer not problem. It has a tool that put it on my phone and off I went. Nice.
    I use Kobo for books but the truth is I'd rather listen to an audio book while commuting than read somewhere. If I'm stationary enough to sit and read, I'm close to my Playbook or a computer.

One last one. If you like automation and getting repetitive things done fast try ShortCutMe. I used to send an e-mail to my wife when I was heading home, I'd turn off wifi, turn on bluetooth, and launch drivesafe.ly Pro (which BB is giving away for free). All easy to launch and do but it took time. Now, I just tap the shortcut and all of it gets done automatically. Kinda cool.

Welcome back and enjoy your device. I have show my device to friends and many went out and purchased them. Not one of them has had a problem.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 10-21-11 at 11:44 AM.
    10-21-11 11:41 AM
    i had a mexico 4 and the hardware was okay but the phone gave me JVM errors..

i got a brand new replacement from Rogers and it's Made in "Canada" and it's solid!! no problems what so ever!

but again "problems" can mean different tings for different people.. Lack of apps is not a problem .. you should know the app selection you have on a blackberry before you buy it.. : >
    10-21-11 12:41 PM
    I am using the 9930 on Verizon. I bought it on launch day and haven't had a single issue. The device is amazing!
    10-21-11 12:52 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD