I'm not sure where these test were done, what devices they were done and how it was measured.
    But I do know there's a common misconception about Mbps and MB/s. Most devices display MB/s while companies advertise in Mbps
    So if you're saying you got an average of 2.5MB/s on your device which translates to 20Mbps, and that's almost on par with the advertised 21Mbps. Not bad eh?
    It's not about what the speed is (or the units they are measured in because all carriers were measured in the same units) it's about what the speed is relative to the other carrier... HSPA+ carriers were delivering roughly half the network transfer rates of the LTE network in non-mobile tests.
    05-05-11 01:19 PM
    I'm not sure where these test were done, what devices they were done and how it was measured.
    But I do know there's a common misconception about Mbps and MB/s. Most devices display MB/s while companies advertise in Mbps
    So if you're saying you got an average of 2.5MB/s on your device which translates to 20Mbps, and that's almost on par with the advertised 21Mbps. Not bad eh?
    I have yet to see a speed test app that displays "MB/s". Ookla's speed test for example gives you speed in terms of megabits per second (Mbps).

As far as the network in an area being "4G" or not, whether it be HSPA+ class 10 (14.4 Mbps) or class 14 (21.1 Mbps) it is not only dependent on the cell site being upgraded to the HSPA+ technology, but also the infrastructure (e.g., fiber, ethernet, copper wire, microwave, etc.) connecting them to the rest of the network. This infrastructre is referred to as "backhaul". If your cell site is upgraded but your backhaul is not, you'll be limited by the speed at which your backhaul with provide.

Think of it this way:
    Say you have the newest Gigabit router money has to offer (cell site) that is capable of data speeds of up to 1,000 Mbps. But for whatever reason, all you have at your disposal is a phone cord (backhaul)with a dial-up connection of only 56 Kbps to hook to that router. Are you going to get 1,000 Mbps downlink from the internet? Of course not.

So...we wait for backhaul to be upgraded, which is a pretty massive operation.
    05-05-11 10:59 PM
    I have yet to see a speed test app that displays "MB/s". Ookla's speed test for example gives you speed in terms of megabits per second (Mbps).

As far as the network in an area being "4G" or not, whether it be HSPA+ class 10 (14.4 Mbps) or class 14 (21.1 Mbps) it is not only dependent on the cell site being upgraded to the HSPA+ technology, but also the infrastructure (e.g., fiber, ethernet, copper wire, microwave, etc.) connecting them to the rest of the network. This infrastructre is referred to as "backhaul". If your cell site is upgraded but your backhaul is not, you'll be limited by the speed at which your backhaul with provide.

Think of it this way:
    Say you have the newest Gigabit router money has to offer (cell site) that is capable of data speeds of up to 1,000 Mbps. But for whatever reason, all you have at your disposal is a phone cord (backhaul)with a dial-up connection of only 56 Kbps to hook to that router. Are you going to get 1,000 Mbps downlink from the internet? Of course not.

So...we wait for backhaul to be upgraded, which is a pretty massive operation.
    I'm sorry, you're kind of right but mostly wrong. Upgrading a 3G network to a 4G network using HSPA+ is just like uncapping a Cable Modem its more software than hardware (at least for cat 10 and cat cat 14).

P.S., It's category not class
    05-06-11 12:07 PM
    It's not about what the speed is (or the units they are measured in because all carriers were measured in the same units) it's about what the speed is relative to the other carrier... HSPA+ carriers were delivering roughly half the network transfer rates of the LTE network in non-mobile tests.
    Yea, but I thought we all already knew that LTE is faster than the current deployed HSPA+ networks?
    05-06-11 12:11 PM
    Yea, but I thought we all already knew that LTE is faster than the current deployed HSPA+ networks?
    That was my original point though, people were arguing that HSPA+ was already better than current LTE.
    05-06-11 01:18 PM
    I'm sorry, you're kind of right but mostly wrong. Upgrading a 3G network to a 4G network using HSPA+ is just like uncapping a Cable Modem its more software than hardware (at least for cat 10 and cat cat 14).
    Like I said... It is not only dependent on the software upgrade at the cell site but also the backhaul. You cannot go faster than what your backhaul provides no matter how fast you have upgraded the site to support.

If you only have 10 Mbps ethernet going to the site how could you go 14.4 Mbps much less 21.1?

I didn't realize you were out to get me with semantics.
    05-06-11 04:48 PM

No actually he has it pretty much exactly right. The greatest limiting factor on HSPA+ is the backhaul from the cell site to the switch. Next is the switch gear itself... TMO was out in front addressing their backhaul issues and thats why they are generally leading the speed race right now.

Like I said... It is not only dependent on the software upgrade at the cell site but also the backhaul. You cannot go faster than what your backhaul provides no matter how fast you have upgraded the site to support.

If you only have 10 Mbps ethernet going to the site how could you go 14.4 Mbps much less 21.1?

Just like anything else though much depends on the size of the backhaul pipe, but it also depends on how many people are sharing the pipe.

Cell site gear will compress and package data to maximize the use of the backhaul available.

PG
    05-06-11 05:02 PM

I honestly wasn't, I just thought I should put it out there for someone else as not everyone can speak 'geek' fluently like others can

No actually he has it pretty much exactly right. The greatest limiting factor on HSPA+ is the backhaul from the cell site to the switch. Next is the switch gear itself... TMO was out in front addressing their backhaul issues and thats why they are generally leading the speed race right now.

Just like anything else though much depends on the size of the backhaul pipe, but it also depends on how many people are sharing the pipe.

Cell site gear will compress and package data to maximize the use of the backhaul available.

PG
    Yes your both right about the back haul and I wasn't disputing that. I was just trying to say that as far as BTS and wireless network infrastructure goes, upgrading 3G to 4G does not necessarily require new equipment on remote cell sites like LTE does. So this kinda gives GSM carriers an edge over CDMA carriers in rolling out 4G
    05-09-11 06:50 AM
    I honestly wasn't, I just thought I should put it out there for someone else as not everyone can speak 'geek' fluently like others can

Yes your both right about the back haul and I wasn't disputing that. I was just trying to say that as far as BTS and wireless network infrastructure goes, upgrading 3G to 4G does not necessarily require new equipment on remote cell sites like LTE does. So this kinda gives GSM carriers an edge over CDMA carriers in rolling out 4G
    Sorry my misunderstanding. Yes BTS gear is the same, other than a minor card swap, the issue is switch congestion and SW upgrades at the switch and BTS level...

PG
    05-09-11 08:53 AM
    HSPA+ is 3.5 G ..........

4G is LTE

NO if ands or buts.

If people dont know the facts about 3g or HSPA+ or 4G
    look it up ! just google it and all will be clear to everyone

4G is some much faster then HSPA+ no comparision at all !

HSPA+ is a yellow school bus.
    4G is a jet air plane.
    05-09-11 10:31 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD