Just to be clear,

the 9900 runs the HSPA+ which is not true 4G but 4G speeds and with T-Mobile right?

the 9930, the CDMA version, is not 4G? only Rev A/3G in the U.S. & 3G overseas?

I have T-mobile with the 9780 and a MiFi with VZW (that i do not use)... while i've been contemplating going back to VZW full time, i actually DO use internet/email/text while on the phone more than I thought I did and I was hoping the 9930 would be 4G/LTE but i guess not? I want this phone so badly that I would be willing to pay an extra $60/month to go back and get the same deal with VZW that I currently pay with TMO. Love TMO but i've had them since the SIDEKICK II and i've dabbled here and there with VZW having had both the Storm 1 & 2 and the original Tour... hmmm I just never got rid of either carrier---- my price point with TMO has ALWAYS been too good to just let go... know what i mean jellybean? lol
    05-03-11 01:08 PM
    Yes, tmobile 4g is HSDPA+ and it supports it.
    05-03-11 01:09 PM
    so looks like i'm sticking with tmobile lol
    05-03-11 03:16 PM
    I have a question and I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm just wondering, if this beauty is somewhat of a 4G, does that mean it may run smoother on a 3G network?

Not sure if that made sense, but would it like feel "freer" to go above the 3G speed or that doesn't make sense?
    05-03-11 03:33 PM
    I have a question and I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm just wondering, if this beauty is somewhat of a 4G, does that mean it may run smoother on a 3G network?

Not sure if that made sense, but would it like feel "freer" to go above the 3G speed or that doesn't make sense?
    It uses whatever your available coverage is. If you don't have 14mbps 3G speeds for example where you live, it can't use it. The phone radio can't make the infrastructure faster.
    05-03-11 03:51 PM
    T-Mobile's "4G" isn't real 4G.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-11 03:57 PM
    T-Mobile's "4G" isn't real 4G.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Well, technically it is, whether we like it or not, or whether it makes sense or not.

Although if HSPA+ is considered "4G", then LTE should be "5G". They don't belong in the same category.
    mechanic_joe likes this.
    05-03-11 04:06 PM
    "Faux Gee"
    05-03-11 04:39 PM
    Well, technically it is, whether we like it or not, or whether it makes sense or not.

Although if HSPA+ is considered "4G", then LTE should be "5G". They don't belong in the same category.
    or they'll call it 4.5G...

my question would be... would LTE-Advanced become 5G?

all these Gs... oh em GEE
    05-03-11 04:41 PM
    HSPA+ on TMO's current network and AT&T's network is 4G from a speed perspective. From a technology stand point LTE is technically a 4G design however in its current released state on various carriers the actual data speeds are slower than 3G speeds from TMO and AT&T.

PG
    05-03-11 05:54 PM
    You're trying to tell me that both Tmobile and AT&T networks are exceeding 15mbps down right now?
    05-03-11 06:06 PM
    You're trying to tell me that both Tmobile and AT&T networks are exceeding 15mbps down right now?
    Yes, AT&T and T-mobile HSPA+ should have max down speeds of 21Mbps
    05-04-11 07:42 AM
    Yes, AT&T and T-mobile HSPA+ should have max down speeds of 21Mbps
    Well that's a nice theoretical number and everything, but I haven't seen anywhere near that. Plus, the up speeds still suck.

And yes, I know my Captivate didn't come stock with an HSPA+ radio. But it has one now. My buddy's Thunderbolt absolutely blows my device out of the water on both up and down speeds.
    05-04-11 10:02 AM
    Yeah, from personal experience AT&T doesn't get anywhere even close to that...
    05-04-11 11:24 AM
    Well that's a nice theoretical number and everything, but I haven't seen anywhere near that. Plus, the up speeds still suck.

And yes, I know my Captivate didn't come stock with an HSPA+ radio. But it has one now. My buddy's Thunderbolt absolutely blows my device out of the water on both up and down speeds.
    Yeah, from personal experience AT&T doesn't get anywhere even close to that...
    It is HSPA+ 21Mbps* implemented on the network so I guess you know it's also totally different for 21Mbps implemented on the phone hardware. Plus download from most web severs are capped too and very few will allow data transfer rates at such speeds, making it seem kinda redundant to have all that speed
    05-04-11 12:57 PM
    It is HSPA+ 21Mbps* implemented on the network so I guess you know it's also totally different for 21Mbps implemented on the phone hardware. Plus download from most web severs are capped too and very few will allow data transfer rates at such speeds, making it seem kinda redundant to have all that speed
    if ~12mbps was redundant and not supported by most servers I don't think Comcast would have doubled their speeds to that rate and nobody would be able to tell the difference... Except that you can tell the difference very easily.
    05-04-11 01:12 PM
    I'm sorry, I was mistaken, I guess my Captivate isn't HSPA+ capable as far as the reports go (HW limitations), which is odd because I get similar speed to my friend's Atrix. Maybe the HSPA+ network around here just isn't that developed and he's getting slower speeds than he should expect?
    Last edited by ragingklu; 05-04-11 at 01:26 PM.
    05-04-11 01:24 PM
    Also the HP veer supports 14mbps, we will see what it actually delivers... Wimax promised all kinds of speeds that it never got anywhere close to.

AT&T laptop modem tests from this year averaged around 2.5mbps... Even in the "4G" cities the speed tests were not exceeding 3.3mbps, and this is not constrained by smartphone radios...
    05-04-11 01:28 PM
    T-Mobile had plans for HSPA 42 Mbps, and 84 Mbps implementations in their roadmap, but those probably won't happen if the Death Star swallows them up. Qualcomm has a 168 Mbps implementation in the HSPA roadmap.
    05-04-11 01:37 PM
    Actually looks like the Inspire 4g + atrix support the same levels of HSPA+ that the veer does, which isn't anywhere even remotely close to 14mbs....
    05-04-11 02:26 PM
    if ~12mbps was redundant and not supported by most servers I don't think Comcast would have doubled their speeds to that rate and nobody would be able to tell the difference... Except that you can tell the difference very easily.
    Not sure what you meant by that but I'm thinking Comcast is a cable company so that's quite different...residential/mobile?
    05-05-11 04:36 AM
    I'm sorry, I was mistaken, I guess my Captivate isn't HSPA+ capable as far as the reports go (HW limitations), which is odd because I get similar speed to my friend's Atrix. Maybe the HSPA+ network around here just isn't that developed and he's getting slower speeds than he should expect?
    I don't think it's the development of the network, because for HSDPA 7.2 Mbps and HSDPA 14.4Mbps on similar phones you won't be able to tell the difference easily...except you're meticulously looking for it.
    05-05-11 05:19 AM
    Also the HP veer supports 14mbps, we will see what it actually delivers... Wimax promised all kinds of speeds that it never got anywhere close to.

AT&T laptop modem tests from this year averaged around 2.5mbps... Even in the "4G" cities the speed tests were not exceeding 3.3mbps, and this is not constrained by smartphone radios...
    I'm not sure where these test were done, what devices they were done and how it was measured.
    But I do know there's a common misconception about Mbps and MB/s. Most devices display MB/s while companies advertise in Mbps
    So if you're saying you got an average of 2.5MB/s on your device which translates to 20Mbps, and that's almost on par with the advertised 21Mbps. Not bad eh?
    05-05-11 05:34 AM
    I don't think it's the development of the network, because for HSDPA 7.2 Mbps and HSDPA 14.4Mbps on similar phones you won't be able to tell the difference easily...except you're meticulously looking for it.
    Speedtest side-by-side is usually a pretty good tool.
    05-05-11 10:07 AM
    This is funny stuff. Blackberry users concerned about internet speed. Think email, other communications, a few lame apps... Internet in an emergency, or if your blood pressure is too low and you can't find any salt. Side by side with ANY other device and the BB is getting it's taco punted. My Razr phones are faster.
    05-05-11 10:17 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD