Watsup all..

Since upgrading to .5xx, I've had this error message that pops up when I stick the charger in. The message says something along the lines of "this charger isn't suitable and is not able to charge the phone". The "cord" symbol that usually comes up when the phone is fully charged strangely displays and the phone doent charge at all. Once I do a soft reset then the phone starts charging. A bit of a pain this one..

Any ideas? Anyone with a similar problem with a fix?

Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by nashstruck; 11-20-11 at 04:08 AM.
    11-20-11 04:05 AM
    I've had the same experience.

For me it seems that the os update (-s) has made the micro-usb port more sensitive to how the micro-usb plug is placed. So if I remove the plug and re-plug it, or just **** it around a little bit, it seems to do the trick. No soft reset is needed, for me at least.

Since I plan on keeping this device for a while, and jerking the cable around seems to be a stupid way to go about it, I've bought a charging stand.

That being said, it might be that the charging pins on the micro usb plug are damaged in some way. I use the charger that came with my PB to charge both devices, and I've had the same error message pop up on the PB. Same "fix" applies there. (Sherlock, we have a clue..)
    11-20-11 04:53 AM
    Watsup all..

Since upgrading to .5xx, I've had this error message that pops up when I stick the charger in. The message says something along the lines of "this charger isn't suitable and is not able to charge the phone". The "cord" symbol that usually comes up when the phone is fully charged strangely displays and the phone doent charge at all. Once I do a soft reset then the phone starts charging. A bit of a pain this one..

Any ideas? Anyone with a similar problem with a fix?

Thanks!

I had this same strange problem.
    T thought this was a phone problem but checking with a new 9900 I had the same problem.
    it was for sure not a phone prblem!

I installed System Tray Cleaner and ended all the RIM programs from startup.
    Went back to OS 261 and then updated to 540 without shrinking and installing apps.
    After two days without problems I installed one for one my apps to see if any app causes this problem.
    I'm now running 6 day 540 without any problems.
    I think the PC causes this problem.

Anyhow, this helped for me!
    11-20-11 04:54 AM
    Thx for the response guys.

It's really weird.
    Mine started with .503. And it still exists with .540. And moving the cable around or replugging it never helps.. Only the soft reset helps.

Anyone else w this problem?

11-20-11 01:17 PM
    Thx for the response guys.

It's really weird.
    Mine started with .503. And it still exists with .540. And moving the cable around or replugging it never helps.. Only the soft reset helps.

Anyone else w this problem?

It isn't a usb problem.
    As I wrote you, I had a second complete new Bold updated to 540 which had after one hour the same charging problem. Therefore I'm sure it isn't a phone problem.

After doing as I wrote above, my problem is solved.
    You should try
    11-20-11 01:46 PM
    Could you clarrify what you meant by the PC causing this problem?
    I might be being daft but you'd suggest downgrading to .261 and then upgrade back to .540 right?

Will post an update if it works

11-20-11 02:21 PM
    Could you clarrify what you meant by the PC causing this problem?
    I might be being daft but you'd suggest downgrading to .261 and then upgrade back to .540 right?

Will post an update if it works

After installing System Tray Cleaner I noticed there where a few programs open from RIM.
    One of them has something to do with USB.
    After deleting them from startup, go back to 261 and do things step for step the problem never came back.
    Therefore I think it was a software problem on my PC which was backed up in the phone memory.
    I had this charging problem suddenly with all the os's I tried.
    Very strange!
    11-20-11 02:44 PM
    Please can you find out for sure what caused this? I have this problem as well on .440 and I'm gonna upgrade to .540 in the next couple of days. It would be great if I can pinpoint the cause before doing the upgrade.
    Thank you so much.
    11-21-11 05:22 AM
    Please can you find out for sure what caused this? I have this problem as well on .440 and I'm gonna upgrade to .540 in the next couple of days. It would be great if I can pinpoint the cause before doing the upgrade.
    Thank you so much.
    After shrinking my os the charging problem returned after 6 days!
    I installed 540 again but the problem is still there.
    Therefore I returned as I wrote before to 261 and prblem gone.

I notized that I saw in the logbook (ALT L G L G) that on he 540 something went wrong with a Homescreen app what has something to do with charging.
    Running 261 it isn't there.
    In anaother thread I mentioned that more and more people have this problem.

I will report later if the problem returned. After two days without problems I will upgrade to a newer os.
    joju58, TheCROW163 and JECHG like this.
    11-21-11 11:57 AM
    I encountered the issue this morning. I woke up to find that my 9900 didn't charge last night. I tried replugging it and I received the "charger not suitable...". I had to do a soft reboot to get it to work. I'm on .503 which I have had for about a couple weeks now... this is the first time I encountered the error.
    11-21-11 01:13 PM
    After shrinking my os the charging problem returned after 6 days!
    I installed 540 again but the problem is still there.
    Therefore I returned as I wrote before to 261 and prblem gone.

I notized that I saw in the logbook (ALT L G L G) that on he 540 something went wrong with a Homescreen app what has something to do with charging.
    Running 261 it isn't there.
    In anaother thread I mentioned that more and more people have this problem.

I will report later if the problem returned. After two days without problems I will upgrade to a newer os.

Hey man,

yea so I tried what you suggested (with the system tray and downgrading then reupgrading) and the problem still exists.. So I'm forced to do a soft reset every time I charge it. A lil annoying but I'm definitely doing a downgrade this weekend when I have some time.

Anyone with a similar problem or any tips PLEASE do share. Maybe this should be escalated to RIM personnel if we have enough people with this issue...
    11-21-11 04:03 PM
    Something tells me that an app might be causing this.... Meterberry for example.... Is there any similar app I can install instead? Just to test for a couple of days?
    11-21-11 05:50 PM
    Something tells me that an app might be causing this.... Meterberry for example.... Is there any similar app I can install instead? Just to test for a couple of days?
    Good thinking. I've got sixtools. Will try uninstalling it n c if the issue still exists.

11-22-11 10:47 AM
    I am on .374 and I have been getting this quite often in the last week. =\
    11-22-11 10:49 AM
    I'm sure that this is a software issue, cos when I plug the charger it gives the notification that the charger cannot charge the phone and the battery icon turns into a plug, I keep the charger plugged in and do a soft reset; the phone starts charging normally upon start-up.
    11-22-11 03:21 PM
    I'm sure that this is a software issue, cos when I plug the charger it gives the notification that the charger cannot charge the phone and the battery icon turns into a plug, I keep the charger plugged in and do a soft reset; the phone starts charging normally upon start-up.
    That is also what I think!
    As I wrote before, I took a brandnew 9900, upgraded it and had the same problem.
    This is no coincidence, 2 BB, 2 charger cables and a Brodit Holder!

I'm testing now, step for step, till the problem is there!!
    11-22-11 03:34 PM
    That is also what I think!
    As I wrote before, I took a brandnew 9900, upgraded it and had the same problem.
    This is no coincidence, 2 BB, 2 charger cables and a Brodit Holder!

I'm testing now, step for step, till the problem is there!!
    How come we seem to be a minority with this problem though? :S

11-22-11 06:26 PM
    Are you using the OEM charger that came with your BB? Newer OSs check the current flowing into the battery and if it's too high it won't charge.
    11-22-11 08:50 PM
    Happened to me when I changed over to OS.503 but only once so far. Reset it and charged it and it's still behaving its self.
    11-23-11 03:06 AM
    Why does everyone assume its a software problem.

Problems:
    1)Plugged into the charger, got an error
    2)Same problem with multiple OS's
    3)People are still Nuking/Bricking with newer OS's
    4)The battery life on all the OS7 devices sucks
    5)Other OS7 devices have pisss poor battery life

Think its possible RIM let the bean counters ring too much margin out of the chargers they bought to accompany the OS7 devices?

BlackBerry 9900 & Tapatalk
    11-23-11 06:36 AM
    I have a new Bold 9900 that came with .440 and am having the exact same charging issues. I have tried the charger that came with the phone, plugging it directly into the USB port on my computer, a 3rd party charger, and 2 Blackberry chargers that came with the 9700s. Each time, it shows the battery meter with the plug, not the lightning bolt.

The only way I can get it to charge is to do a soft or hard reset while the phone is plugged in. This has to be a software issue of some sort since the problem is repeatable and the only change made to get the phone to charge is a reset of the software.
    11-23-11 07:01 AM
    I had a similar problem with my 9860. Tried using different Blackberry chargers as well as outlets but it wouldn't charge for some reason. A battery pull fixed the problem

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    11-23-11 07:22 AM
    Its def software cos it doesn't happen with OS-es before .503..

Also, yes I do use the oem charger that came with the phone. I've also tried my old torch 9800 charger (love how we call the torch old bcos it's only been out for 12 months... But I sidetrack),

Going to go back to .260 again this weekend and stay there until the next update.

11-23-11 02:39 PM
    Its def software cos it doesn't happen with OS-es before .503..

Also, yes I do use the oem charger that came with the phone. I've also tried my old torch 9800 charger (love how we call the torch old bcos it's only been out for 12 months... But I sidetrack),

Going to go back to .260 again this weekend and stay there until the next update.

Strange thing is that I had 4 days 540 on my phone without any problem! After installing apps ( blink and Leave it on) and shrinking my os the charging problem was back again!
    I'm now on 440 from AT&T.
    No problem till now!

I'm for sure that this is no hardware problem!
    11-23-11 03:50 PM
    Hang on a min. I have blink too! Could that be the source?
    Will uninstall and report!

11-23-11 04:53 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD