I thought that the 9900 was a keeper but I have had a change of heart and may (for the first time ever) use the 14 day return window and pick up the 9790.

I got used to the larger form factor, love the keyboard and quality of the 9900, I have realised however that I have spent most of the last week focussing on the battery life and think it is an issue that will always be at the forefront of my mind. I have got pretty decent (comparatively speaking) life out of it and using a combo of GPRS and wifi have got over24 hours under normal light use.....

The problem is though that if you ask the 9900 to stretch it's legs the battery level drops like a stone, install an app and reboot 8-10% gone, make a couple of calls another 8-10%. It is very easy to go from say 80% to almost flat very quickly. There seem to be a lot of "do this to improve your battery" threads but I suppose with the bigger resolution screen, smaller battery and faster processor there is probably only so much that can be done.

I may change my mind again as I do enjoy using it but right now I am leaning towards changing it on Monday.
    01-21-12 04:34 AM
    choose what suits your pattern.
    99xx is definitely a best BB right now with it's form factor and luxurious keyboard.
    but battery is really upset.
    i am hoping RIM will definitely come with some sort of new battery solution.
    till then... wait and watch...
    9790 is nice choice.
    01-21-12 04:40 AM
    I thought that the 9900 was a keeper but I have had a change of heart and may (for the first time ever) use the 14 day return window and pick up the 9790.

I got used to the larger form factor, love the keyboard and quality of the 9900, I have realised however that I have spent most of the last week focussing on the battery life and think it is an issue that will always be at the forefront of my mind. I have got pretty decent (comparatively speaking) life out of it and using a combo of GPRS and wifi have got over24 hours under normal light use.....

The problem is though that if you ask the 9900 to stretch it's legs the battery level drops like a stone, install an app and reboot 8-10% gone, make a couple of calls another 8-10%. It is very easy to go from say 80% to almost flat very quickly. There seem to be a lot of "do this to improve your battery" threads but I suppose with the bigger resolution screen, smaller battery and faster processor there is probably only so much that can be done.

I may change my mind again as I do enjoy using it but right now I am leaning towards changing it on Monday.
    What OS are you running ?

Might be worth trying the latest leaked 7.1.0.205 before you make your final decision, although it is a recent leak it does seem to be the best 9900 OS released to date.

Users are reporting improved signal and battery life.

Just a thought, if you still don't want to keep the 9900 just re install the stock OS before you return it.
    01-21-12 04:49 AM
    I'm on 7.0.0.585.

The thing is under normal use it is pretty good (other than the dropping 8% as soon as it is charged bug). It is only when I use it more that it really drops.

I would be curious to try the leaked OS where can I get it?

Thanks
    01-21-12 04:58 AM
    I'm on 7.0.0.585.

The thing is under normal use it is pretty good (other than the dropping 8% as soon as it is charged bug). It is only when I use it more that it really drops.

I would be curious to try the leaked OS where can I get it?

Thanks
    http://forums.crackberry.com/leaked-...-fixes-689947/
    01-21-12 05:02 AM
    Thanks, how do Install this, Will it work on Mac?

Also are there any other issues or manual work needed with Internet settings or service books or is it just install and go?

Am about to go through the 20 pages on the thread but a heads up would be appreciated.
    01-21-12 05:18 AM
    I would really like to try out the 9790 as well, I have always liked the 97xx series... I would get a Rogers one and use on AT&T, but they are still in the $500 range on eBay..so if I do end up getting one, it will be awhile when the price goes down.
    01-21-12 06:52 AM
    Thanks, how do Install this, Will it work on Mac?

Also are there any other issues or manual work needed with Internet settings or service books or is it just install and go?

Am about to go through the 20 pages on the thread but a heads up would be appreciated.
    I believe that you need a Windows PC to install a leaked OS.

If you are going to have a trawl through the .205 thread you should come across a guide by Elite 1 that takes you step by step through the install process.

Follow that and it is install and go.
    01-21-12 06:58 AM
    7.1.0.205 changed my 9900 drastically! Excellent performance and battery life

And who told you the 9790 has better battery life? LOLLLLLL
    01-21-12 07:16 AM
    I purchased the second battery and charger from this site, and LOVE it. I do a battery swap when needed, and never skip a beat. A must have for BB!
    01-21-12 08:11 AM
    My advice... don't do it.

If you were going straight to the 9790 without having owned the 9900, then you would probably be happy. But you're not, and you won't.

The 9790 has the same JM1 battery as the 9900, and battery life is not that much better. As for build quality, no comparison!

As others have said, just load 7.1.0.205 onto that beast and enjoy!
    01-21-12 08:23 AM
    Well I just upgraded to 205 (had to borrow my parents ancient PC). I used the guide in the thread and it was pretty painless and all my data services seem to be working, so far so good.

Let's see how it goes....
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    01-21-12 09:34 AM
    If you have not done it yet, make sure you try all the battery savings tips suggested in the forums and also the main blog article (ex: turn screen brightness to 10%, turn off wi-fi when you don't need it, shut down programs/apps when not in use, set social feeds to refresh one hour or less often). This should help.

I'm on a 9930 and was on 7.0.374 for awhile and battery life was good to great depending on the day. I just upgraded to new 7.1 and battery life is still very good (although there is a quick drop in the first 15% of battery, then it remains stable the rest of the day and night).

Overall, my battery life makes it to the end of the day with usually 20% remaining most days with the occasional late afternoon quick charge. I swear everyday I use this phone I love it even more then the last. It really does takes several weeks to settle into a phone. I think you should stick with your device and let it grow on you. This is a high end phone and I'm loving it a lot! (And yes, I make this statement knowing the battery life and possible bricking issues known).
    Last edited by StumptownBold; 01-21-12 at 12:19 PM.
    01-21-12 12:17 PM
    Ok, maybe too early to tell but battery life looks to be improved and I am not losing 8% as soon as it comes off charge either.

Looking at the 9790 it seems that the battery life is not really that much of an improvement so I could be out of the frying pan and into the fire.

I have till next Friday so I think I'll give the 9900 a few more days.
    01-22-12 02:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD