Hey all

I have a 9900 locked to rogers that I'm considering using. I don't have a sim card in the device as I'm still on an iPhone with a microsim.

I tried upgrading my device to the latest version of 7.1 leak. It wouldn't allow me to upgrade - says that I have to have an active blackberry subscription/service to upgrade?

Is this correct?

Thanks for any help
    tfrankson likes this.
    02-13-12 10:16 AM
    Yes it is correct. A BlackBerry-provisioned SIM Card must be in the device before the OS can be loaded.
    02-13-12 10:21 AM
    Is this correct?
    Partly correct...

However if you wipe your phone and update with Loader.exe then you don't need a SIM installed, or even an active BIS plan.
    TrespassersW likes this.
    02-13-12 10:40 AM
    That is extremely useful Phill. I did not know that.
    02-13-12 10:43 AM
    haha now you know you, just learned something new from the masterwiseguy phill.
    02-13-12 10:44 AM
    That is extremely useful Phill. I did not know that.
    I only found this out by accident whilst updating my 9790, with the SIM still in my 9900, and the update worked fine.
    02-13-12 10:50 AM
    Thanks for the help! It worked
    02-13-12 03:37 PM
    Wow, I spent over 3hrs trying to load a new os on a new dev w/o a sim and it just wouldn't. Thank you very much for sharing this info. I wouldn't have guess this would have been an issue. We learn something new everyday.
    02-29-12 10:29 PM
    Hey Phill_.... This is kinda on topic but off topic. Does a SIM card get cleared when a factory reset is performed? I have a SIM card that was in my old 9550 when I wiped it.

Is it necessary to have it in the device and have the device functional with BIS services only and no need for BES?

How can I clear the SIM card?

If I can clear it... will it affect any data on the device if I have the device hooked up on another line?

Blacked out on my Crackberry using telepathy and Tapatalk
    Last edited by dustanh; 02-29-12 at 11:14 PM.
    02-29-12 11:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD