It works fine, I've tried it many times.

Once the phone is wiped (to 507 error) you can update using AppLoader without a SIM card inserted.
    lol, ok phill cuz RIM surely wouldn't think of wiping it to a 507 error to get around the requirement....lol
    02-22-12 07:35 AM
    lol, ok phill cuz RIM surely wouldn't think of wiping it to a 507 error to get around the requirement....lol
    You're more than welcome to come over tomorrow, and watch me upgrade mine before activation.
    02-22-12 08:36 AM
    You're more than welcome to come over tomorrow, and watch me upgrade mine before activation.
    What's the point? You have a subscription to a data plan.

This BlackBerry� Device Software upgrade includes new features and significant enhancements to the BlackBerry� solution and, as such, is only available to users with an active BlackBerry subscription. To learn more about BlackBerry� service, please visit BlackBerry - Data Plan - Upgrade Your BlackBerry Data Plan.

I don't want or need Blackberry services.
    02-22-12 08:45 AM
    I had the same issue when I was trying to update a friend's 9800. I installed the new software (I have about 9 different OS builds installed on my computer). I was running the new DM 7. I followed all the usual steps and the DM would not recognize the updated OS. Now I had already wiped the phone (because she bought it used), and thought I was pooched.

I ran Task Manager and killed all RIM related processes (I had 7 I think), kept the device plugged in and rebooted my PC. Nothing. Oh, gave me an option to downgrade or reinstall the same OS. Then the 7.1 leak for the 9900 dropped and I installed that. Right after I opened the DM, it connected to the 9800 (I never unplugged it from the PC) and said I had an update.

You do not need to have a BlackBerry Data Plan to upgrade a device OS, leaked or official.

Last point. DM truly does suck, it always has, and probably always will. Use the loader.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-22-12 09:00 AM
    Bricked, the red light LED flashes, and you use BBSAK to wipe your device and install your OS again.

......It's possible to fix a brick, just temporary until a software update becomes available.....
    So how do you fix a brick? Every time I try to load an OS it goes fine until it gets to a "net_rim_bb_unifiedsearch_lib.cod" file, at which point the installation hangs and will not go any further. I have even left it at that point overnight, but it was still hung at that point the next morning.
    02-22-12 09:11 AM
    You do not need to have a BlackBerry Data Plan to upgrade a device OS, leaked or official.
    Not necessarily true.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...y-bold-666201/

Make sure you have a blackberry subscription then you can update your phone.
    02-22-12 09:14 AM
    What's the point? You have a subscription to a data plan.
    If the phone isn't activated, it's not recognized as mine yet.

So how do you fix a brick? Every time I try to load an OS it goes fine until it gets to a "net_rim_bb_unifiedsearch_lib.cod" file, at which point the installation hangs and will not go any further. I have even left it at that point overnight, but it was still hung at that point the next morning.
    Sounds like a corrupt file. Try downloading and installing a fresh copy of the OS.
    02-22-12 09:17 AM
    All that proves is that the OP could not update his/her device and that MysticMeg was mistaken. I update a ton of new/used/wiped devices on various PCs. You do not need to subscribe/register/login/sign up to install an BB device OS.
    02-22-12 09:23 AM
    If the phone isn't activated, it's not recognized as mine yet.
    You bought it from VZW, and it's not activated?
    02-22-12 09:25 AM
    All that proves is that the OP could not update his/her device and that MysticMeg was mistaken. I update a ton of new/used/wiped devices on various PCs. You do not need to subscribe/register/login/sign up to install an BB device OS.
    Thanks for clearing that up; obviously it's my first day here. pfft. I've done hundreds of installs (new/used/wiped/refurbs) myself. Save it for the new-comers.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 02-22-12 at 09:44 AM.
    02-22-12 09:26 AM
    You bought it from VZW, and it's not activated?
    Really Paul, this isn't your first rodeo. My 9650 is active, till I call VZW and activate the new one.

lmao, yeah, everyone's wrong but you. pfft. I've done hundreds of installs myself. Save it for the new-comers.
    Oni isn't the only one not agreeing with you. There was a time I thought it impossible. That time has since passed.
    02-22-12 09:31 AM
    Really Paul, this isn't your first rodeo. My 9650 is active, till I call VZW and activate the new one.
    I hate to say "duh!" but seriously, that device is tied to your account that has an active data plan.

We're coming close to infraction points here, so I'm out.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 02-22-12 at 09:39 AM.
    02-22-12 09:36 AM
    Running .576 trying to install 7.1

This BlackBerry� Device Software upgrade includes new features and significant enhancements to the BlackBerry� solution and, as such, is only available to users with an active BlackBerry subscription. To learn more about BlackBerry� service, please visit BlackBerry - Data Plan - Upgrade Your BlackBerry Data Plan.

I deleted the vendor.xml file.

I don't want or need Blackberry services.

I just need to install this freaking update because my phone bricks every day and I'm hoping this would solve the problem.
    I had this problem. Your servicebooks have not updated correctly. Get on the phone to your carriers second line tech support and get them to talk you through it. Basically they get ready to push, you nuke your servicebooks, they send you a new set. Then battery out reboot and good to go.
    02-22-12 09:42 AM
    I hate to say "duh!" but seriously, that device is tied to your account that has an active data plan.

We're coming close to infraction points here, so I'm out.
    I have a pre-release 9790 bought solely as an emergency back-up for my 9900. It's not tied to any carrier, is empty of service books, has never had a SIM card inserted, and is completely free of any active data plan.

I've updated the OS several times on this phone using Loader.exe (leaked and official versions), and have never had any issues or the 'subscription is required' message.

Done exactly the same with my pre-release 9780 on OS6. Proof positive that an active BB data plan is not required to update your OS on 6, 7 or 7.1

So instead of bashing others for being correct... just man-up and admit you're wrong
    02-22-12 10:08 AM
    if I was wrong
    Not necessarily true.
    The OP would have installed the OS. I've done it numerous times myself, yet every so often this same thing arises. I even loaded 6.0.0.587 on my 9650 that didn't have an active data plan before selling it.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 02-22-12 at 10:26 AM.
    02-22-12 10:12 AM
    Originally Posted by Veritel

Sounds like a corrupt file. Try downloading and installing a fresh copy of the OS.

Thanks. I've tried several copies and other OS's- same result. Both Verizon and BlackBerry said they didn'y know of a solution. I was hoping maybe someone here did.
    02-22-12 10:18 AM
    Originally Posted by Veritel

Thanks. I've tried several copies and other OS's- same result. Both Verizon and BlackBerry said they didn'y know of a solution. I was hoping maybe someone here did.
    I'm not finding anything on that. Have you tried downloading the OS from a different browser, getting that file from someone who hasn't had the issue, or removing it from the Java folder?
    02-22-12 10:58 AM
    I'm not finding anything on that. Have you tried downloading the OS from a different browser, getting that file from someone who hasn't had the issue, or removing it from the Java folder?
    I've tried all of that except removing the file from the Java folder. I'll see if I can figure out how to do that. Thanks.
    02-22-12 01:09 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD