I can't believe I read this whole thread.

You have to love the RIM faithful. For the last couple of weeks I've been reading over and over again about how WONDERFUL it is that RIM finally has a phone that'll shoot HD 720p video. (Why is it still in 3GP?) People seem to just be dying to run out and record hundreds of hours of high def video with this awesome new Blackberry as if that's the most important feature to hit Blackberry phones in the last decade.

Then you mention that fact this phone actually has a below average, fixed-focus camera and those same people come out of the woods with pitchforks in hand ready to burn you at the stake. After all, it's of the utmost importance that your smartphone shoots HD video, but good pictures? Oh, no. Everyone has a nice digital camera for that. (Don't those digital cameras also shoot HD video?)

It's just the same old story over and over again from the RIM loyalist, including the "fearless" leader of the Crackberry nation. They never demand more from RIM. ****, at this point they don't even expect it. I remember a few years back when RIM was still releasing "flagship" devices that didn't have WIFI and these same people were going around telling everyone that it wasn't a big deal because no one needed WIFI anyway. It just never changes. It's really too bad because we've reached the point when it's so painfully obvious that the die-hard RIM loyalist aren't enough to keep this company going. Now more than ever you'd think that the RIM faithful would be the people complaining the loudest. Hey RIM, some of us would still like to be able to buy Blackberry phones 10-years from now. Could please stop making the same stupid mistakes over and over?

Oh well... the saving grace here is that most people probably won't even notice. I mean, it's late 2011 here. Auto-focus cameras are just the expected norm. I don't think anyone will even ask about the camera at the point of purchase. I was reading a review the other day (Blackberry Bold 9900 review from TechRadar UK's expert reviews of Mobile phones) where the reviewer doesn't even realize that the phone doesn't have an auto-focus camera. He's just assuming the focus isn't working correctly. You can't really blame him. I'd bet he hasn't been handed a "flagship" device (or bottom end device for that matter) with a fixed-focus camera in 2 or 3 years. A camera that will focus on its object is just something that you assume is there.

Maybe next year, eh RIM. I'm still dying to come back. I still have a small trace of Blackberry blood running through my veins. I don't know what you put in there, but it's pretty good stuff.
    vrs626, Crucial_Xtreme and yeedub like this.
    08-14-11 12:46 PM
    I can't believe I read this whole thread.

You have to love the RIM faithful. For the last couple of weeks I've been reading over and over again about how WONDERFUL it is that RIM finally has a phone that'll shoot HD 720p video. (Why is it still in 3GP?) People seem to just be dying to run out and record hundreds of hours of high def video with this awesome new Blackberry as if that's the most important feature to hit Blackberry phones in the last decade.

Then you mention that fact this phone actually has a below average, fixed-focus camera and those same people come out of the woods with pitchforks in hand ready to burn you at the stake. After all, it's of the utmost importance that your smartphone shoots HD video, but good pictures? Oh, no. Everyone has a nice digital camera for that. (Don't those digital cameras also shoot HD video?)

It's just the same old story over and over again from the RIM loyalist, including the "fearless" leader of the Crackberry nation. They never demand more from RIM. ****, at this point they don't even expect it. I remember a few years back when RIM was still releasing "flagship" devices that didn't have WIFI and these same people were going around telling everyone that it wasn't a big deal because no one needed WIFI anyway. It just never changes. It's really too bad because we've reached the point when it's so painfully obvious that the die-hard RIM loyalist aren't enough to keep this company going. Now more than ever you'd think that the RIM faithful would be the people complaining the loudest. Hey RIM, some of us would still like to be able to buy Blackberry phones 10-years from now. Could please stop making the same stupid mistakes over and over?

Oh well... the saving grace here is that most people probably won't even notice. I mean, it's late 2011 here. Auto-focus cameras are just the expected norm. I don't think anyone will even ask about the camera at the point of purchase. I was reading a review the other day (Blackberry Bold 9900 review from TechRadar UK's expert reviews of Mobile phones) where the reviewer doesn't even realize that the phone doesn't have an auto-focus camera. He's just assuming the focus isn't working correctly. You can't really blame him. I'd bet he hasn't been handed a "flagship" device (or bottom end device for that matter) with a fixed-focus camera in 2 or 3 years. A camera that will focus on its object is just something that you assume is there.

Maybe next year, eh RIM. I'm still dying to come back. I still have a small trace of Blackberry blood running through my veins. I don't know what you put in there, but it's pretty good stuff.
    Can Autofocus camera take fast pictures? - no
    Can All focus camera take good close up pictures? - no

Is there a compromise in between? - no

I just tested and it took my 9700's Autofocus camera around 10 seconds to take 3 shots. I bet I could take at least 6 shots with an All focus 9900 in 10 seconds.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-11 01:20 PM
    As a contractor, I also use my phone to take pictures for projects and supplies all the time. The camera on here takes just fine pics for that. For anything that requires more detail, I have a $2000 DSLR 20 some mpxl camera. I'm not sure why you need more detail that this phone provides. The pictures are quick, easy, and clearly veiwable. And the HD video is amazing for a phone.

All that just to let everyone know that you have a $2000 camera? Thanks.

BTW, HD video is only new to BlackBerry.

Yes, Verizon 4G is really that fast!
    08-14-11 01:45 PM
    Can Autofocus camera take fast pictures? - no
    Can All focus camera take good close up pictures? - no

Is there a compromise in between? - no

I just tested and it took my 9700's Autofocus camera around 10 seconds to take 3 shots. I bet I could take at least 6 shots with an All focus 9900 in 10 seconds.

With auto focus you wait half a second more, and can take a picture from far away and from close. But you can't really blame RIM because they know that people are still going to buy there phones no matter what features it should have in 2011 lol kinda like apple right? The camera on this phone blows! And I hope the iphone just RAPES the bold in sales (again) and hopefully god damn blackberry makes a good phone

08-14-11 01:47 PM
    With auto focus you wait half a second more, and can take a picture from far away and from close. But you can't really blame RIM because they know that people are still going to buy there phones no matter what features it should have in 2011 lol kinda like apple right? The camera on this phone blows! And I hope the iphone just RAPES the bold in sales (again) and hopefully god damn blackberry makes a good phone

Save your hope for something you will need it for - you need not fear that the iphone will rape the bold in sales - my prediction is that the new bold will have dismal sales not unlike the playbook.
    08-14-11 01:50 PM
    Save your hope for something you will need it for - you need not fear that the iphone will rape the bold in sales - my prediction is that the new bold will have dismal sales not unlike the playbook.
    And then and only then, you will finally find happiness.

Me, I'm getting my 9900 tomorrow (was supposed to get it friday but didn't turn up) and I'm looking forward to it.

08-14-11 02:12 PM
    And then and only then, you will finally find happiness.

Me, I'm getting my 9900 tomorrow (was supposed to get it friday but didn't turn up) and I'm looking forward to it.

If I didn't need at least as good of a camera as I now have in my almost three year old blackberry I would ask you for a ride to the store so I could get one right along with ya!

I want to be able to purchase this new device and be able to do at least as much as I could with my old current berry.

I'm still not convinced that RIM can't do something in the way of a software fix to at least make the camera usable for the kinds of pictures I mostly take with it as well as make it usable for the .pdf scanner app that was designed specifically for the blackberry bold.
    08-14-11 02:19 PM
    Major bummer indeed.

I just doesn't make sense to me though. How cam RIM be releasing a major FLAGSHIP device in mid-2011 with a fixed focus camera?!? And the reason? To keep it thin?!?

iPhone 4: 9.3mm thick
    Galaxy S: 9.9mm thick
    Galaxy S 2: 8.49mm thick
    All 3 with auto-focus sensors.

So how could RIM possibly not fit an auto-focus sensor into a device that is 10.5mm thick?
    Because they are a sinking ship so it's all about saving money and this is one way to cut the corners and charge more for the phone.
    08-14-11 02:20 PM
    Because they are a sinking ship so it's all about saving money and this is one way to cut the corners and charge more for the phone.
    Yes, but the ship which is RIM does not have to sink - they just need some new direction advice. I think they have enough money to weather out this manure mess they created for themself.

In the meantime they are making fools of themselves by such things as EDOF cameras in their flagship and the price it's hitting stores at.
    08-14-11 02:23 PM
    Just as the others this thread has outlived its usefulness.
    southlander and Zipper like this.
    08-14-11 02:23 PM
410 ... 151617
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD