Only if your home is a studio apartment rife with 2.4GHz interference. Having 5GHz in my home wouldn't cut it because of its limited range as compared to 2.4GHz. I receive an attenuated enough signal as it is on my patio with 2.4. Given the choice between autofocus and 802.11a support, I'll take the autofocus, thanks. Not that it's necessarily a dealbreaker, though.
    I do live in an apartment and most 2.4Ghz wireless adapters can find enough networks to have you scrolling all day long.

There is only one 5Ghz network within reach of all my devices, mine.

You did notice I used the word "If" when you were trying to make a point based on my post, right?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-11 03:16 PM
    Word.

You know, I wanted to post the same sentiment, but any way I phrased it would sound like I was defending another poor decision by RIM to cut corners and 'cheap-out'. Or calling a failing a 'feature'. lol.

When in reality the camera is completely unimportant to me.

But I guess to others it is important, so let them blow off steam
    The camera is so important to me that I ordered my newly acquired, antiquated, soon-to-be unsupported/EOL'd 9650 sans camera.
    08-08-11 03:50 PM
    About 'business use' of a smartphone camera. For copying / mailing signed contracts & other (legal) documents you really SHOULD use a scanner. For taking important (insurance?) photo's, you really SHOULD use a camera.

It's not RIM overlooking business use cases. It's called being serious about your business.
    Well in my case, which is not the above, it will affect my decision. I take photos of lots of small type -- tags that have serial numbers and model numbers. Sometimes the type is pretty small, so sharp close-up focus (I assume auto focus) is needed. But I will have to see how well the 9930 does once I can get my mitts on one. The only way it affects my decision is I will simply get the 9850.
    08-08-11 03:51 PM
    So if it actually was a feature, auto focus, you'd complain that you want it turned off right ? Since its garbage? Saying something is useless just because you don't have it? Shameful

Yes. If it's performance is mediocre, I would want it turned off. For example, I think voice dialing is stupid -- could do without that one -- so I just don't use it.
    08-08-11 04:11 PM
    I do live in an apartment and most 2.4Ghz wireless adapters can find enough networks to have you scrolling all day long.

There is only one 5Ghz network within reach of all my devices, mine.

You did notice I used the word "If" when you were trying to make a point based on my post, right?

Who has to scroll every time to find one's home wifi network? Once your device is properly set up to connect to your wifi network, it reconnects automatically every time you arrive home.

And no, you did not use the word "if." In any event, my point was simply that 5GHz is hardly a must have, even for a "modern" home network. I wouldn't call autofocus a must-have either, but given the choice of the two, I'd prefer autofocus over 5GHz wifi capability.
    08-08-11 04:20 PM
    This is hilarious that this thread is sooo massive..

Almost as funny as the idea of marketing a flagship device [about one year behind the market] for a struggling phone hardware/software creator without an auto-focus feature when competitors feature such a.. feature..

08-09-11 01:12 PM
    In my 9780 I use the camera for taking pictures of books and notes in my college
    If I don't want to copy something I simply go close and snap it and the 9780 does a good job, if I miss my lectures sometimes I simply snap my coursemates notes with my 9780 (if am feeling lazy that is) and send them to my pc for reading later on
    Now the camera is EDoF .........

08-09-11 01:31 PM
    Who has to scroll every time to find one's home wifi network? Once your device is properly set up to connect to your wifi network, it reconnects automatically every time you arrive home.

And no, you did not use the word "if." In any event, my point was simply that 5GHz is hardly a must have, even for a "modern" home network. I wouldn't call autofocus a must-have either, but given the choice of the two, I'd prefer autofocus over 5GHz wifi capability.
    "Scroll" as in scroll through all the 2.4Ghz wireless networks that overlap. Palm-5G is the only 5GHz hotspot and its mine.

You were right, I didn't put "If" so I will do it now so you are not so,,...

Maybe the 9900/9930 dont have AutoFocus but the 9850/9860 doesn't support WiFi 5Ghz A&N.

"IF" Anyone has a modern network at home they will want the 9900/9930. That mean RIM is screwed? Nope.

It's all about price points,"User Types", and getting what you pay for. Androids are garbage produced by many companies and Apple gets you in the front and the rear.

You wanna Keyboard and top notch wireless? Or, do you want a multi-media type smartphone? RIM could have designed a 10mm thick slider with a 4" screen, AutoFocus, 5Ghz wireless, and NFC and double the battery life. HOW MUCH DO YOU THINK THE G0DDAMN THING WOULD COST?

Shut up and Read up!!! That way you can get the best phone for yourself. There is no "BEST PHONE" for everyone.

I am sticking with RIM and leaving all the bootloader & mind control $hit for the droid and apple fanboys.

Nite Ladies & Germs!
    08-10-11 12:08 AM
    In my 9780 I use the camera for taking pictures of books and notes in my college
    If I don't want to copy something I simply go close and snap it and the 9780 does a good job, if I miss my lectures sometimes I simply snap my coursemates notes with my 9780 (if am feeling lazy that is) and send them to my pc for reading later on
    Now the camera is EDoF .........

EDOF still works for human readable text... Unless you are doing actual scanning of written notes to autotranslated text (which has it's own issues to begin with, one of them being that you are scanning handwritten notes and not text, and I doubt you are mostly doing this anyhow) you might want to actually see it before flipping out based on speculation.
    08-10-11 03:36 AM
    The 9900 has a closeup mode. Why would it be there if it couldn't do it? I'm waiting to see how it works.

08-10-11 03:54 AM
    for those who are lucky enough to get the 9900, care to contribute a sample macro shot?? pls..
    08-10-11 05:29 AM
    EDOF still works for human readable text... Unless you are doing actual scanning of written notes to autotranslated text (which has it's own issues to begin with, one of them being that you are scanning handwritten notes and not text, and I doubt you are mostly doing this anyhow) you might want to actually see it before flipping out based on speculation.
    Exactly....I'll be interested to see what happens if the 9900 produces good pix from 1".
    I have $100 bill that says not 1 detractor will refute there comment.
    08-10-11 07:12 AM
    Why would they take auto focus out to begin with, i'm always taking pictures on my bb cause it's convenient on the go, at sporting events, and those times where most would say, '**** i wish i had my camera'.
    Would be nice confirm this camera speculation from someone who recently got a 9900/9930.
    08-10-11 08:21 AM
    Why would they take auto focus out to begin with, i'm always taking pictures on my bb cause it's convenient on the go, at sporting events, and those times where most would say, '**** i wish i had my camera'.
    Would be nice confirm this camera speculation from someone who recently got a 9900/9930.
    At sporting events autofocus is a problem, the focus can ad 1-2 seconds of lag, by that time the subject can be out of frame. All focus as in the 9900 will be much better, it will take instant shots.

08-10-11 08:38 AM
    I don't think you'll have any problem at sporting events unless you're teying to take your pics from inches away.
    08-10-11 08:41 AM
    EDOF and AF both have advantages and drawbacks. By using EDOF you actually can get very fast shutter times, etc.

You can read up on EDOV vs AF.
    08-10-11 12:51 PM
    EDOF and AF both have advantages and drawbacks. By using EDOF you actually can get very fast shutter times, etc.

You can read up on EDOV vs AF.
    Whoa now. We're not here to discuss areas where EDOF may be better than AF. We're only focusing on where EDOF is at a disadvantage.
    08-10-11 12:55 PM
    Exactly....I'll be interested to see what happens if the 9900 produces good pix from 1".
    I have $100 bill that says not 1 detractor will refute there comment.
    If it turns out that the 9900 takes as good of close up shots as my 9650 I will be the first to refute my previous negative comments on EDOF in the 9900 / 9930.

As it stands - based off ALL the evidence we have witnessed in posted pictures and reviews about EDOF systems I'm afraid there will be no good close up shots of the sort that are taken by people who actually use their BB's for work.
    08-10-11 12:58 PM
    We should have the answer to this by the end of this coming weekend.
    Last edited by pythons; 08-10-11 at 03:49 PM.
    08-10-11 03:00 PM
    Seems like no one here has considered lens or sensor quality. Mass produced lens quality can improve in just a couple of years. Lens quality can allow more light to hit the sensor and give the camera better low light capabilities. It can also reduce distortion. It really is the most important part of any camera kinda like the OS is most responsible for making your mobile run smoothly. High megapixel sensors and features definitely do not equate to better pictures. The EDOF camera modules would also be less expensive to design, build, and more trouble free with less or no moving parts like an auto-focus unit. Also because of the lower production cost the allotted money for the camera module can be spent where it is needed most, the lens.

-Sensor Quality is better than greater density (megapixels)

-Lens Quality is more important than auto-focus, especially on a camera module this tiny.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 08-10-11 at 05:26 PM.
    08-10-11 05:21 PM
    Seems like no one here has considered lens or sensor quality. Mass produced lens quality can improve in just a couple of years. Lens quality can allow more light to hit the sensor and give the camera better low light capabilities. It can also reduce distortion. It really is the most important part of any camera kinda like the OS is most responsible for making your mobile run smoothly. High megapixel sensors and features definitely do not equate to better pictures. The EDOF camera modules would also be less expensive to design, build, and more trouble free with less or no moving parts like an auto-focus unit. Also because of the lower production cost the allotted money for the camera module can be spent where it is needed most, the lens.

-Sensor Quality is better than greater density (megapixels)

-Lens Quality is more important than auto-focus, especially on a camera module this tiny.
    I've always thought this is the reason current BBs shoot poor quality pix. IPhone takes amazing photos in comparison the the 9650.
    08-10-11 05:59 PM
    elgolfman, is there a point your trying to make? Perhaps a comparison between 2 specific phones? Something specific that makes BB camera's inferior?

08-10-11 08:19 PM
    Side-by-side, the iPhone photos look superior IMO.
    08-10-11 08:32 PM
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1107586...O7klvTjpb_xYQ#

Auto and closeup picture comparison with the bold 9900. Props goes to euro2low for his review.
    08-10-11 08:34 PM
    I think other than the 9800 torch, that the original 9000 bold had the best camera pictures.

Im feeling pretty torn between the 9810 and the 9900!
    08-10-11 09:32 PM
410 ... 1011121314 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD