comes handy to scan documents in a rush

Pics from my 9780:

08-06-11 03:52 PM
    Carry a SLR for photos, a scanner for documents, an ipod touch for toys and games, and keep the 9900 only for making phone calls and emails. You're a troll if you wanted the 9900 to do all the above.
    cldoobie likes this.
    08-06-11 03:59 PM
    Playbook vs Ipad2 Same lighting. You decide. I had to re-size and re-sample the playbook image down to upload it. I did not change any settings in either device from the way they are "out of the box"
    Would you mind taking some pictures of text from a book - the pics just posted from an individual who claims to have a 9930 are absolutely terrible - I mean they are rotten.
    08-06-11 04:02 PM
    Carry a SLR for photos, a scanner for documents, an ipod touch for toys and games, and keep the 9900 only for making phone calls and emails. You're a troll if you wanted the 9900 to do all the above.
    So if you pay an arm and a leg for a phone at this age and time, $600 USD + retail. You wouldn't expect it to snap good photos? Especially when a 3 year old phone like the 9650 / 9700 can take better pics?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I wont get it because of the lack of AF, just a big bummer. But we can't deny it and call people trolls if they are mad about this.

A smartphone is supposed to be a substitute to carrying all the above items that you mentioned. My 9780 definitely can be a substitute. I just fancy the bigger screen / keyboard
    08-06-11 04:05 PM
    Something is wrong here - go back to his pics and click "properties" & look at the information.....
    ...Next go to the pics I posted with the Bold 9650 and check out properties on those.
    ...Something is NOT right here.
    08-06-11 04:11 PM

Hilarious.
    08-06-11 04:18 PM
    So if you pay an arm and a leg for a phone at this age and time, $600 USD + retail. You wouldn't expect it to snap good photos? Especially when a 3 year old phone like the 9650 / 9700 can take better pics?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I wont get it because of the lack of AF, just a big bummer. But we can't deny it and call people trolls if they are mad about this.

A smartphone is supposed to be a substitute to carrying all the above items that you mentioned. My 9780 definitely can be a substitute. I just fancy the bigger screen / keyboard
    I think (hope) Yeedub was being a bit sarcastic.
    08-06-11 04:20 PM
    I had to re-sample from 1200k to 478k to upload. The image is slightly degraded, but still pretty darn good!
    08-06-11 04:24 PM
    I think (hope) Yeedub was being a bit sarcastic.

Yes, but thats the overall attitude that a hard core group of blackberry supporters are showing whenever someone posts something critical of RIMs decisions.

We're all blackberry fans on this forum; the only difference is that some of us are open minded and others are blinded by their dedication to the device they chose.
    kevinnugent and anon(3158896) like this.
    08-06-11 04:35 PM
    Here is a short video about the camera that does not give very much information and the site I got the link from had a couple of pictures they took with the 9900 and they both looked absolutely terrible. Remember, the guy taking the pictrues might not have used the camera correctly so this doesn't mean the camera is junk.

http://www.youtube.com/v/ms0IUS8gf6s?version=3
    In the video there's that weird little A type button thing on the screen when he pressed that it gave him an options of what type of pictures the user will be taking ie, text, snow, portrait, landscape etc so surely RIM (is that right? trying to understand all the BB jargon so far) has taken that into account therefore with the camera, if you change the settings into what you'll be taking the picture of it'll produce the best it could?
    08-06-11 04:49 PM
    I had to re-sample from 1200k to 478k to upload. The image is slightly degraded, but still pretty darn good!
    Is this from the 9900 / 9930?
    08-06-11 04:50 PM
    Spika it's from the Playbook. But apparently it has the same camera as the 9900?? Don't quote me on that. The playbook has a pretty good picture and a very good color balance. You can see above how much the color balance can do to a picture in my Playbook vs Ipad2 post above. The Ipad2 pretty much has zero color balance faculty. The pictures are under florescent lighting and the playbook does an excellent job with the lights.
    08-06-11 04:57 PM
    Spika it's from the Playbook. But apparently it has the same camera as the 9900?? Don't quote me on that. The playbook has a pretty good picture and a very good color balance. You can see above how much the color balance can do to a picture in my Playbook vs Ipad2 post above. The Ipad2 pretty much has zero color balance faculty. The pictures are under florescent lighting and the playbook does an excellent job with the lights.
    That's way better than the pics with the 9930 posted. Certainly exceeded my expectations. Thank you
    08-06-11 05:11 PM
    you DO realize how bad this makes Blackberry sound, right?
    vrs626 likes this.
    08-06-11 06:28 PM
    So basically you don't think blackberry is good for anything every other smartphone platform is good at? Because they all pretty much handle those tasks gracefully

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-11 06:32 PM
    AT LAST, I HAVE A SOLUTION FOR ALL OF YOU, IT'S QUITE EASY....

Don't like it.... don't buy it.

(We all know that won't happen though. In fact, some of you will have read this thread fully knowing the situation -- still go out and buy it, then come back here and complain about it despite having been fully aware even before buying it -- just so you have something to cry about)
    I agree totally. But it does make one wonder why RIM would have to go to a full focus camera instead of keeping the auto focus camera, to help get the device as thin as possible. When the iPhone 4 for example has a camera that has auto focus and is still thinner than the 99xx. Makes no sense, but it does make cents....

Anyhow, the 9900/30 takes good enough pictures. I would say they're no worse than previous BlackBerry models. And the video capture is better than with previous version with or without HD recording.
    vrs626 likes this.
    08-06-11 06:44 PM
    I'm getting both a Blackberry 9780 & iphone 4 to test for reception where I live from a local AT&T Corporate Business Rep at some point next week. If Sprint does not push VVM on the 9930 to the end user I've already been assured AT&T most certainly will. I will for sure snap some pics and post em up.

I'm going to cover my bases and make sure I don't have reception issues where I live like I did with Vz - I literally couldn't use the phone where I live on Vz and for the Seattle area it is the absoulte worst carrier for reception I've ever witnessed.
    Mate, I like the iPhone 4 but it's strongpoint is not reception. Your 9780 will **** on it.
    08-06-11 06:46 PM
    according to VodafoneUK it does have AutoFocus and also gsmarena. BlackBerry Bold Touch 9900 - Full phone specifications
    Last edited by BB9900Lover; 08-06-11 at 07:04 PM.
    08-06-11 06:59 PM
    according to VodafoneUK it does have AutoFocus and also gsmarena. BlackBerry Bold Touch 9900 - Full phone specifications
    But the pics that users posted of a book / text certainly don't show any autofocus
    08-06-11 07:32 PM
    So basically you don't think blackberry is good for anything every other smartphone platform is good at? Because they all pretty much handle those tasks gracefully

Katiepea -- haven't seen you since 5.0 came out for the 9000.

08-06-11 07:55 PM
    I think RIM made a decision on cost vs benefits here. The all focus option is a better one for video, and that's the rage now with kids.
    08-06-11 07:55 PM
    I think RIM made a decision on cost vs benefits here. The all focus option is a better one for video, and that's the rage now with kids.
    I am at least pleased that RIM is starting to focus on it's "target" users...
    ...I'm sure you are right Kevinnugent.
    08-06-11 08:18 PM
    Unfortunately Kevin, this is not the case. Otherwise the 9810, 9850 & 9860 would have the same all focus camera. But they don't. You must understand that anything under 11mm is rather thin. In order to accomplish this, something different was needed.
    08-06-11 08:18 PM
    I think the solution is simple...

Get an iPhone4 if you want a camera.. Get a 9900 if you want a mobile communications device..

Guatiao likes this.
    08-06-11 08:38 PM
    I think the solution is simple...

Get an iPhone4 if you want a camera.. Get a 9900 if you want a mobile communications device..

I see this a lot. Please define this.
    08-06-11 08:52 PM
410 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD