...but not the 9900/9930, they have all focus (EDOF)
    Is is that confirmed though? I have trouble finding it officially.
    08-05-11 09:20 PM
    Is is that confirmed though? I have trouble finding it officially.
    CX just confirmed it... and that's as official as it gets
    08-05-11 09:23 PM
    Just took these in so so lighting. Playbook.

Last edited by kbz1960; 08-05-11 at 09:32 PM. Reason: add from playbook
    08-05-11 09:29 PM
    Ya this is bs on rims part. Anyone who criticizes others for complaining about the lack of a critical feature are just as idiotic as the person at RIM who made this decision. AF is an important tool:

- scan bar codes
    - read product labels
    - quickly copy schedules
    - close up shots for evidence
    - pretty much anytime you want a close up image, record visual notes without copying it with paper and pen in a quick instant, read any type of bar codes.

In fact I use my smart phone mostly for close up shots where you need AF. Ya if I was going on vacation or to an event where I need great distance shots I'll bring my camera...

AF on a smart phone is a must if you want a serious tool for business. And enough of the hogwash "as long as it gets great reception". If that's all I was looking for then why not just buy a cheap nokia flip phone?! This is a smart phone for goodness sakes.. And it'll set you back $300 plus tax! For that price it needs to be a great business tool and no AF really limits the range of usability. Serious business users will know. Today's smart phone shoppers are becoming more knowledgeable and small short comings here and there adds up:

- no AF
    - no front facing camera
    - small memory for app Storage
    - releasing yesterdays specs tomorrow at a premium price?!

Not trying to bash blackberry, I have been a long time user until recently. At this point I'm tired to sticking with a company that forces you to compromise and charge you a premium for it.... And for what?! Just to stick with the form factor. Sooner or later, there'll be another smartphone that is just like blackberry from the messaging/notification management, to the hardware set up. When that happens there will be absolutely no reason to get a blackberry. More companies are allowing their workers to use their own smartphones. Only the most privacy sensitive users, such as government workers, will have a need for them. Then again, what's stopping apple from eNhancing security on their servers to steal those customers from RIM. It's only a matter of time and RIM doesn't have the core competency to stay competitive with other technology goliaths of the industry. RIM is just a medium sized company that that had an idea, executed it, and are now just trying to squeeze out whats left. The End.
    This isnt the phone for you. The End
    johnmarki likes this.
    08-05-11 09:30 PM
    I have an even more important question about the camera........can you turn the shutter sound off?
    Guatiao likes this.
    08-05-11 09:59 PM
    I have an even more important question about the camera........can you turn the shutter sound off?
    Important? No you can't, not without an app... same with every other BB
    08-05-11 10:02 PM
    This isnt the phone for you. The End
    Ya you're right... An over priced phone isn't for me.

Mark my words, blackberry will be gone soon. Why waste time and money? To think things will change is just wishful thinking. Having qnx isn't going to fix the real problems with rim. Had they had the leadership, management, and resources to compete they wouldn't be in this position.

Things don't change magically in an instant. If rim is to survive they need radical change. This should of happened a while ago. If the required change hasn't happened yet I doubt it will ever happen. My guess is that a computer manufacturing company who is trying to get into the smartphone market with it's own OS, such as Dell would buy rim just for the patents and QNX. The blackberry brand will be useless as it's image will be tarnished.
    08-05-11 10:05 PM

Mark my words, blackberry will be gone soon. Why waste time and money? To think things will change is just wishful thinking. Having qnx isn't going to fix the real problems with rim. Had they had the leadership, management, and resources to compete they wouldn't be in this position.

Things don't change magically in an instant. If rim is to survive they need radical change. This should of happened a while ago. If the required change hasn't happened yet I doubt it will ever happen. My guess is that a computer manufacturing company who is trying to get into the smartphone market with it's own OS, such as Dell would buy rim just for the patents and QNX. The blackberry brand will be useless as it's image will be tarnished.
    I understand your frustration but, i think these new lines will help bring them back. I think they have finally realized they need to change. I believe enough to have invested in them stock wise( i maybe foolish but hey i believe). They are still huge in other parts of the world. I see them making a comeback. Maybe not top dog but doing well
    anon(3158896) likes this.
    08-05-11 10:09 PM
    I have a question, does the 9810/9850/9860 have the augmented reality app that has been shown off on the 9900? The reason i ask is because if they don't then this may be the reason why the 9900 does not have a AF camera. This is by no means defending RIM i'm just asking because i have not seen it demoed on the other devices. This just may be the reason why the phone does not have AF and is using the all focus cam instead. Yes i know there are some other devices that can use this software but RIM has done their own thing with this.
    08-05-11 10:21 PM
    They had to find something wrong with it. B-/
    08-05-11 10:22 PM

Yes. Ok. You dont want to buy a 9900. We get it. Bye.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-11 10:24 PM
    Out of everyone reading this ( to include the people who have the device now )...
    ...I am wondering like the other poster as to why there have been no pictures posted?

I've posted several examples of what a Bold 9650 can do picture wise and posted the proof in this thread...
    ...Perhaps this all focus thing will be as good as the system in my 9650.

What we need here is to have someone take some pictures with a new bold....
    ...I can say I've not been impressed at all by the playbook shots - they are of poorer quality than the 3.2mp camera in my berry now.
    08-05-11 10:37 PM
    Whether the 9900/9930 has AF or EDoF, it will take a better picture than my current 8330m.
    08-05-11 10:42 PM
    So close to being the perfect blackberry but then t...hey had to cheap out...

08-05-11 10:42 PM
    Well, that made up my mind. And yet one more brainless decision by RIM.

Also, for those of you that put up a strawman argument like, "I'd rather have a phone that has good call quality that one that has a good camera," your brains are about as big as the brains at RIM. As if today we need a make a choice between one or the other.
    It is never really necessary to insult people just because you disagree with them.

Bobcat665 likes this.
    08-05-11 10:44 PM
    Here is a short video about the camera that does not give very much information and the site I got the link from had a couple of pictures they took with the 9900 and they both looked absolutely terrible. Remember, the guy taking the pictrues might not have used the camera correctly so this doesn't mean the camera is junk.

http://www.youtube.com/v/ms0IUS8gf6s?version=3
    08-05-11 10:45 PM
    Here is a short video about the camera that does not give very much information and the site I got the link from had a couple of pictures they took with the 9900 and they both looked absolutely terrible. Remember, the guy taking the pictrues might not have used the camera correctly so this doesn't mean the camera is junk.

http://www.youtube.com/v/ms0IUS8gf6s?version=3
    I'm not going to judge the camera based on that. I think the video camera he was using to film that review skewed the results a bit.
    08-05-11 10:53 PM
    I understand your frustration but, i think these new lines will help bring them back. I think they have finally realized they need to change. I believe enough to have invested in them stock wise( i maybe foolish but hey i believe). They are still huge in other parts of the world. I see them making a comeback. Maybe not top dog but doing well
    Not frustrated, it's just a shame. I really like the overall blackberry experience, but that is slowly fading as the competition gets better and rim does nothing of significance. I don't think this new batch of phones will do much. At most it'll slow the attrition rate among the diehard users. The average user will most def buy the iPhone 5 over the 9900 if they're priced the same. Blackberry has become the smartphone of choice on a small budget.. Curve for example.
    08-05-11 11:05 PM
    The simulated picture on BlackBerry - Bold Touch Phone - New BlackBerry Bold Touch Screen Phones looks a lot like AF to me.
    08-05-11 11:24 PM
    I have a question, does the 9810/9850/9860 have the augmented reality app that has been shown off on the 9900? The reason i ask is because if they don't then this may be the reason why the 9900 does not have a AF camera. This is by no means defending RIM i'm just asking because i have not seen it demoed on the other devices. This just may be the reason why the phone does not have AF and is using the all focus cam instead. Yes i know there are some other devices that can use this software but RIM has done their own thing with this.
    This may be a good point.
    08-05-11 11:37 PM
    Yes. Ok. You dont want to buy a 9900. We get it. Bye.

That's the best you can do?

This is a forum. Just cause I don't want the phone doesn't mean I shouldn't contribute to the forum. If you don't like it you can just move right along.
    08-05-11 11:38 PM
    This may be a good point.
    Wikitude utilizes GPS and the compass to pinpoint what you're looking at exactly. It should come standard on all OS7 models.

08-05-11 11:38 PM
    I think RIM made the right call.

Pointing out that the 9850/60 does have auto focus and is thin doesn't mean anything. Not only does the 9850 have the bezel where the camera is embedded, but the internals of different devices come with their own constraints. Maybe RIM had to run some wire exactly behind the camera on the 9900 and there is not enough room? Who knows what the constraints are.

Still, EDoF is a valid choice in certain scenarios, arguably it's a better fit for the 9900. Every design comes with trade offs, especially smartphones. With a phone it's important to be able to spontaneously snap a photo immediately more than using it for fine photography. If I left the house for an event I anticipated will have opportunities for taking photos, I'd take a camera with me.

It's a good choice.
    08-05-11 11:47 PM
    That's the best you can do?

This is a forum. Just cause I don't want the phone doesn't mean I shouldn't contribute to the forum. If you don't like it you can just move right along.
    You do realize the irony of spending time on a forum dedicated to the 9900 despite having no interest of owning one, right?

Your "contributions" are also nothing more than the same drivel we hear from so many tech blogs out there. You're not original enough to have your words "marked", like you're some sort of prophet going against the grain.

Synthmole nails it on the head. Just because the phone utilizes EDOF and not auto-focus, doesn't automatically put it in a disadvantageous position, waiting to be swallowed whole by the competition. I for one will appreciate being able to snap photos in an instant. I'm not making posters here.

Last edited by Masahiro; 08-06-11 at 12:23 AM.
    asdfjkandreax likes this.
    08-05-11 11:56 PM
    You do realize the irony of spending time on a forum dedicated to the 9900, despite having no interest of owning one, right?

Your "contributions" are also nothing more than the same drivel we hear from so many tech blogs out there. You're not original enough to have your words "marked", like you're some sort of prophet going against the grain.

Synthmole nails it on the head. Just because the phone utilizes EDOF and not auto-focus, doesn't automatically put it in a disadvantageous position, waiting to be swallowed whole by the competition. I for one will appreciate being able to snap photos in an instant. I'm not making posters here.

Read the title of the forum!

This is all about another RIM shortcoming with a new product. Its one after another. when was the last time RIM released something that was awesome and well executed... NOT NEVER!

By the way, your idiotic crap rationalizing blackberry's inability to compete isn't original either... too many people chose to accept mediocre from blackberry at a premium price. its the same old story on crackberry, and its contributions from people like you that are a complete waste. i'm not trying to be original, just spillin some much needed common sense.

The phone lacking AF is just one of a number of other pitfalls from the lastest and greatest from blackberry. its still a great phone, but not for $300. I know RIM doesn't control the price set by the carriers for subsidizing, but it does control its MSRP out the plant... $600 ?!

That's like Ford selling its POS taurus at the same price as its higher quality international competitors... and then having die hard american car fans buying it just cause its "american". Get a clue!

the only irony i see is people like you. at least give me something useful that directly contradicts the material of what i'm saying... specifically if the 9900 warrants its price tag and if RIM has the ability to compete in the future smartphone landscape that is becomign increasingly competitive. not this crap about the irony of me participating in this forum... F U!
    08-06-11 12:27 AM
410 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD