I have recently been converted from iPhone to BB Bold 9900 against my will by my employer Apart from several functionality issues I have run in to one big issue and that is that I have been unable to find a carcharger that works. I live in Sweden where the original BB carcharger is very hard to find, I have been to several shops here and no one carries it. I have tried my "cigarette to USB" converter that worked fine with my iPhone and get some kind of message from the Bold that "this USB port can't charge etc". I then bought a noname car charger with micro USB connector that did not charge either. Next I bought a "high power" USB converter that according to the packaging turned out 2100 mA and using the original USB cable that came with the BB got the same message that the USB port can't charge. I have checked that the high power USB converter works by charging an iPhone and the BB USB cable works with the wall socket converter that came with the BB. So I know there is no hardware faults in the equipment. This has led me to suspect 2 things, either my BB is faulty or my car does not turn out 12 V in the cigarette lighter socket. I will have access to a different car this evening, if this does not work either how can I check if my phone is faulty? Any other tips? Does any 3rd party car chargers really work with the 9900? Thanks in advance.
    02-06-12 07:15 AM
    Why not just buy one from the crackberry store?
    02-06-12 07:18 AM
    I saw it there but could not work out how much the shipping to Sweden would be. Also if the fault lies with my car it would be bad to buy a charger online and find out it does not work either. But after checking with another car tonight this might be the road I have to go.
    02-06-12 07:25 AM
    What car do you have? Maybe you could run a new wire with a 5/7/10 amp fuse from the battery so that it is dedicated to your charger.
    02-06-12 07:32 AM
    What car do you have? Maybe you could run a new wire with a 5/7/10 amp fuse from the battery so that it is dedicated to your charger.
    It is a Volvo (of course since all swedes drives one ) XC90. It is also a possibility of course.
    02-06-12 07:35 AM
    You need a charge only USB cable. If you can't find one, you can make one from a spare usb cable. Slit the cable open and cut the two thin data lines. Then strip and twist together the ends of the two going towards the Blackberry. Leave the ones going to the car end unconnected.

For those in the USA or want to buy from Ebay, try searching for AT&T BlackBerry charge only cable.

I have found a lighter plug to USB adapter that does work with the 9900. This is the one I purchased, one socket will give the insufficient to charge error with a regular usb cord, the other works with a regular usb cord. When I use my charge cable, both ports work. I think it was the iPad port that needed the charge cable.

I am about to order a couple more as we have a ski trip coming next month and they also work powering the PlayBook when used with charge cables. The PlayBooks should keep the kids entertained during the drive to the hill.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...84.m1423.l2649
    Last edited by robsteve; 02-06-12 at 09:06 AM.
    02-06-12 08:53 AM
    I got the Tmobile car charger. Haven't had any problems with it. *knock on wood
    02-06-12 09:22 AM
    I have a pile of chargers from the expensive ATT branded stuff to a $2 thing from Frys. Never had an issue.
    02-06-12 09:28 AM
    I bought my gf a usb car charger adapter for her iphone (similar to this: Amazon.com: P002 : Universal USB Car Charger Adapter: Electronics but not as fancy?). It works with everything if you have the cable for it. Which includes iphone, ipod, ipad, my BB and the GPS. So I think you should give adapters like that a go with the native USB cable.

Not sure how much they would be in sweden. The one I bought came with extra crap for the iphone and it was $9.
    02-06-12 09:29 AM
    You have a very smart employer.
    02-06-12 09:38 AM
    Bought a carcharger from a local shop called The Phone House which according to the packaging should work with Blackberry 8900 Curve and other phones and it worked! Strange thing is that on the charger it says that the output is 5 V 0,5A which is exactly the same as the USB converter I used for the iPhone before which did not charge with the USB cable that came with the BB and that works with the wallsocket... Anyway problem solved, thanks for help.

The Phone House partnumber for any Swedish users finding this tread on a search is CPW-CLAMICROUSB 10L15A
    02-06-12 11:06 AM
    Hi
    i use for 9900 and 9930 a Nokia (micro usb)incar- charger and works perfectly
    02-06-12 11:32 AM
    The Motorola microUSB charger off ebay has always worked great for me.
    02-06-12 01:45 PM
    You need a charge only USB cable. If you can't find one, you can make one from a spare usb cable. Slit the cable open and cut the two thin data lines. Then strip and twist together the ends of the two going towards the Blackberry. Leave the ones going to the car end unconnected.

For those in the USA or want to buy from Ebay, try searching for AT&T BlackBerry charge only cable.

I have found a lighter plug to USB adapter that does work with the 9900. This is the one I purchased, one socket will give the insufficient to charge error with a regular usb cord, the other works with a regular usb cord. When I use my charge cable, both ports work. I think it was the iPad port that needed the charge cable.

I am about to order a couple more as we have a ski trip coming next month and they also work powering the PlayBook when used with charge cables. The PlayBooks should keep the kids entertained during the drive to the hill.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
    Dude, you really need to stop promoting your charge-only cable idea. It's not true at all. The charger in my wife's car is an old (at least 4 years) motorola mini-usb charger with a $.99 motorola mini-to-micro adapter and it works just fine. And it has for every phone I've ever owned with micro usb. I've had at least 4 different car chargers in my car, both branded, unbranded, cheap, expensive, whatever - they all work just fine. I now have a fixed mount solution from proclipusa.com (in Europe they are Brodit) with a built in smart accessory charger function, and not only does it work perfectly but also launches telenav, turns on Loud profile, turns off wifi, turns bluetooth on. In my house I have chargers from HTC, motorola, bb and LG and guess what? They all work just fine. Stop spreading your charge-only cable nonsense. Not necessary at all.
    02-06-12 04:47 PM
    Dude, you really need to stop promoting your charge-only cable idea. It's not true at all. The charger in my wife's car is an old (at least 4 years) motorola mini-usb charger with a $.99 motorola mini-to-micro adapter and it works just fine.
    The charge only cable are for the guys with built in usb ports in the cars or the generic adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter and has a usb port on it. I am only providing the solution to why their existing power source is not working with a a usb cable.

Your chargers are actual charges and wired properly so the phones know they are connected to a charger.

I myself have the Blackberry cigarette lighter adapter, bought from this site as a daily deal for $14.99. On my previous Bold 9000 I used the BlackBerry charger as well. These chargers are too underpowered for the PlayBook, the only reason I bought the generic power port I linked in my post.
    Last edited by robsteve; 02-06-12 at 06:20 PM.
    02-06-12 06:16 PM
    Volvo have a cable or charger? They do have Volvo shops over there right?
    02-06-12 07:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD