OK...I've read all over the CB site and a few other BB forums on the web...I'm out of ideas. Can I put this out and see what you offer back? Would love to take advantage of the Bold use that many on the Forum are raving about and BB's recent commitment to continue in support of OS7 (for few years at least?). But out of ideas.

Issue...have a Q10 which I like, but I miss using the Bold 9900. I'm not an apps user but lots of texting and emails, and just find I like the keypad and belt more than the Q10 layout. Am looking forward to the Q20 but frankly love the bold 9900's simplicity and speed. BUT...cannot get my email accounts here in Albany area of NY to connect. I mention the geography as my accounts worked in Virginia where I was previously.

Short history...moved with Bold 9900 to NY last Fall. Found my Gmail account used for email, contacts and calendar would keep dropping. Hotmail stayed connected. Yahoo, well, they're a mess anyway and I've given up on them. Phone and texting all fine. Needing reliable communicating device, I sold it and bought Q10 as wanted to try the BB10 experience anyway. Its good, but still missed the form factor of my Bold which I had sold on EBay. Did more reading around and seems I was maybe having a hardware issue? So bought a new Bold (fresh from factory). No matter what I did myself on this new device, using ideas from Forum or working with ATT/BB tech help...I could neither get Gmail or Hotmail set up. Closest I got was the ATT/BB rep leading me to a BB/BIS website to set up my webmail accounts there. That worked for Gmail but not the Hotmail. Just would not open it on my phone. Could see the account but not open and of course no sync over from laptop. Error message when tried was "Cannot Connect to Server". Disappointed and frustrated...I gave in...returned it to the seller and went back to using my Q10. And lots more reading....and thought I'd tried again this week. Purchased a lightly used Bold on tried again. This thing is a honey, beautifully little used...all works great...except cannot connect my Gmail nor Hotmail again. Takes my BB ID login and BB Device Mger reads it. ATT/BB Tech reads it as on the system and she could set up Gmail account there and it fed over my recent emails I had visible on my laptop. But I was unable to log in myself on the 9900 to request Gmail to sync contacts and calendar. She set up my Outlook (web based via live.com, not a Enterprise account) which I see too but could not log in either. Didn't even try to do the Hotmail.

So...frustrated and again disappointed. Back to my Q10. My BB plan with ATT is in place, always had been. Is it something with how the OS7 and ATT is now working and my move to the area Fall 2013 just coincided (like I would have had the same problem in Virginia then too)? Is it something that I'm doing? That it is happening to my used, my new and recent used devices points not to hardware...and to ATT, changing times, or to me. I'm not tech weak. I loaded two OS leaks on my Q10 and did the recent UK upgrade OS7 leak which I pulled from our "sticky" for this most recent Bold. t loaded fine. What am I missing folks?

PS...the ATT/BB Tech said she is having a lot of calls recently with Bold people who did the UK leak. Is there a connection?
    Last edited by jrsva2008; 04-26-14 at 09:51 AM. Reason: fixed some phrases
    rayporsche likes this.
    04-26-14 09:47 AM
    Is it possible to post a screen shot of your setup(without the password of course)? If there's one thing with Legacy OS it's the ease of connecting email. You also said your BIS data plan is in place, so it should really be a mistake during setup. I could be wrong of course, but that's why a screen shot could give a better idea of what's going on.
    04-26-14 09:53 AM
    Sorry, got everything powered down and sim back in Q10. ATT does not have Bold on my system. Yes, the ease of set up was something I remembered two years ago when I got my first Bold in VA.

This winter with the new Bold, I was using the email set up wizard and following the prompts. Entering login for the account, entering the password and the error message would come up and say "Activation Failed: Cannot Connect with Servers" Same error message for Gmail and Hotmail.

For the one yesterday (the lightly used one)...again using the Email Setup wizard, it would take my email login and password, and this time the error message was "Update Failed. Try again." Same message for both Gmail and Outlook live.com. When ATT Tech entered the Gmail on her end, the account showed as one of my email accounts in the Setup Accounts page though never added an icon to the All Panel. From the Messages icon there, I could see my current emails as on my laptop. But when I opened entered the account on the Setup Wizard and entered the login and password to set syncs for contacts and calendar, it would say the same error message "Update Failed".
    Last edited by jrsva2008; 04-26-14 at 10:12 AM. Reason: edited for phrasing
    04-26-14 10:10 AM
    UPDATE...may be making progress...I had downloaded the latest OS7 leak from the sticky here in the Forum. Knowing the ATT/BB Tech had said she was having much trouble with Bold callers who had done that latest update, I removed it and loaded the 7.1.0.2435 from the BB site. And tried again...and all the email accounts loaded. My BB ID is in place, my phone is sending and receiving emails with attachments, and the google contacts and calendar seem to be syncing. Looks like the leak was my problem...????this time.

Elsewhere someone has been doing his 30 Day Experiment. I'm not going to post along the way, but will start my own today...and so hope this means I can get back to using the Bold I remember so well.

Maybe my path is helpful for someone else?
    04-26-14 12:50 PM
    Alright, good to hear it's sorted out now. Sometimes it takes the most drastic thing (having to load an entire OS) to fix the smallest error.
    04-26-14 01:26 PM
    24 hours later and all is working like the others I've only read of...and was the Bold I remember. Cannot tell you how frustrating the process has been to this point. Still not sure what was so different this time...but sure easy to set up and set the syncs. Doing great!
    04-27-14 03:52 PM
    Get rid of PBr7.1.0_rel2435. Install 9900jAllLang_PBr7.1.0_rel2534_PL5.1.0.652_A7.1.0.9 23_DoCoMo_Japan and delete the vendor.xml file on your PC. Connect your BB9900 to your PC and double click on loader.exe. This is a LOT more stable than the 2435 build. Also no connection email problems.
    05-03-14 09:00 PM
    Get rid of PBr7.1.0_rel2435. Install 9900jAllLang_PBr7.1.0_rel2534_PL5.1.0.652_A7.1.0.9 23_DoCoMo_Japan and delete the vendor.xml file on your PC. Connect your BB9900 to your PC and double click on loader.exe. This is a LOT more stable than the 2435 build. Also no connection email problems.

Curious is that a leak build? Would it possibly solve a microsoft exchange email problem?
    05-24-14 09:30 PM